1. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Matchmaking infamy spread

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by djsurfzz, 22 Jan 2018.

1. djsurfzz

djsurfzz New Member

What's the point of making fleets have an 800 infamy spread restriction when normal matchmaking is gonna pair you with people with over 1000 infamy spread regularly? seems kinda stupid. easy fix: matchmaking and fleets should have the same maximum infamy spread, so 800 as of now

DragonLegend likes this.
  2. Snapshot

Snapshot Well-Known Member

I'm kind of curious why you care what the infamy of yourself or anyone else is. I care an awful lot more about captain level myself. That may be because I'm low level so I constantly see massive spread in captain level. Conversely, infamy is just some number that someone wanted to be at for good farrming.

3. djsurfzz

djsurfzz New Member

I'm at level 46 and 5000 infamy. It sucks for both me and the other guy who is at 3800 and in the same game

4. Snapshot

Heh, things are very different down here in the weeds. Someone at 500 infamy could be anything from a M1 to M5. Infamy means nothing. Level means everything.

5. Captain Gilligan

Captain Gilligan Well-Known Member

Freelance Motion Designer
    I just so happen to be that guy being paired with 5000 infamy players, except Im at 3400 infamy...
    Sure anyone can be up to a mk5 at that level, but for me, I could be facing up with nightmare mk7 ships with T5 Legendary everything that can kill lil ol mk5 me in the blink of an eye

What I'm saying is we all feel the unfairness of the game. Sure I would love to go up against people exactly at my infamy/level/item range/mk of ship. But that simply isn't possible unless some major changes are introduced (and those changes are still profitable for rovio ;) ).

Snapshot and DragonLegend like this.
  6. Snapshot

You and I are in the same problem then if you're looking at being one or two shot. Although honestly, as I've looked at what the system is doing I've decided the matchmaking system is OK. Sure, it'd be nice if they'd tweak it a bit (for instance, at least trying to balance fixers). But it doesn't do that poorly. I think what is making the current disaster is the rewards system. From your standpoint, if you're fighting a team which has you outgunned by... say... 400% and your team wins and you contribute meaningfully then your rewards ought to be awesome. They ought to help you close the gap between yourself and those you are fighting. That is, after all, quite an accomplishment and excellence deserves to be rewarded. Instead you get punished by reduced rewards on just about every front. Then the guild quests just go ahead and make a mockery of any possible ranking system.

I'm just in "grind" mode right now because I can't take the matchmaking and infamy seriously. But it'd be nice if Rovio can get a grip on why people find tanking profitable and then fix it.

Beyond that, envylife had a good suggestion about using some sort of moving average to smooth out the random bubbles a bit. I'll add on (and this may address your issue), that they need to come up with some sort of gear score to supplement their current methods of balancing teams. That would help keep the spread between actual power of boats within whatever level Rovio wants (they need to give the whales some ego benefit for all that money they spent so the whales need seals to club).

Captain Gilligan likes this.