1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Wanna play chicken?

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by envylife, 14 Jan 2018.

1. envylife

envylife Well-Known Member

I've noticed an uptick in unfriendlies wanting to play a game of chicken with me. You know who you are, you give me a stare, point your boat at me and just keep coming as if you are going to scare me off. Let's be honest though. Chicken is not a strategy, it's suicide. If you are really lucky you will take me out, but I guarantee you will die doing it and leave your team 4 on 4, which doesn't actually advance your cause.

Are you a defender with big shields? I'm a shooter with 2x your firepower, and you will die.
    A shooter? If you don't have a chicken rig on that boat, you are just being an idiot, because it's not a strategy. It's suicide.
    Speeder? You would think they wouldn't do it, but they do. You will die in 3 hits, guaranteed. Don't do it.
    Enforcer? You will have a tough go of it because chicken requires HP, something you lack. Maybe a few of you can make up for it with ballet and a tesla shield, but good luck trying.
    Fixers? Yes, I've had one or two fixers play chicken with me in the past two days trying to play cleanup. Why.... why?

It's definitely a trend, as old as the hills, but it's still not a strategy. Just stop. :D

2. ViscountSniffit

ViscountSniffit Well-Known Member

This is why shooters need a nerf :p

Disguised likes this.
  3. envylife

Ha... if so, I would have left shooters off that list!

4. *JAWS*

*JAWS* Well-Known Member

Depends whom is doing the charge

5. *JAWS*

*JAWS* Well-Known Member

Depends whom is doing the charge

6. Snapshot

Snapshot Well-Known Member

*chuckle* I do have a "chicken rig"... turbo, point damage out the gills... etc. It's still suicide half the time but I count it a win if I can take out a higher mark boat or their healer. I do agree with you though... if you've got 2 or less slots filled with some sort of fast firing point damage then you're not going to win in a head-on with someone who is set up for it.

7. *JAWS*

*JAWS* Well-Known Member

Sorry for repost. Now for the strategy.

I glady want my teammates to charge the best player in front of them. If
    U can kill them.

If u can kill the person in front of u. Do it.

Charge away.

If not. Dont.

Very simple.

Heres why. In your example. Unfriends boats will aim at charging boat. 5 vs1. While 1 is going vs the 1 in front of them.

Reality. The odds are more like 1vs 1. Or 2vs1. Or 3 vs 1 on the bay.

In this position. If u charge. U must guarentee u can kill 1 boat. If not 2.

But mandatory 1 boat.

If u can. The advantage to your team of friends becomes massive. This is why.
    If 3 boats are focussed on me. And I kill 1 boat. Then they kill me. Unfriend and friends team are technically 4 vs 4.

But during this battle. My 4 friends team is free to attack all other 4 unfriends. While 3 of them were highly focussed on me.

The new math is now 4 vs 2 in fire power. Advantage friends team. Ie. The charge creates a firepower advantage to the charging team.

Again. One must be secure in their boating ability to win in this type of engagement. Me personally. I can kill 1 to 3 boats in this situation. And have lead the charge many times and still lead my whole friends team in damage. So while 4 to 5 unfriends focus on me. They get mopped up by the rest of my friends.

So as originaly posted. Depends on the situation. But better yet. Depends on your skill as a boat killer.

LimeOnMars, Padres and TheAntiSnipe like this.
  8. envylife

I agree there can be value to it in a strategy drawing fire, but with 4 guys fixated on you, it's only about 10 seconds, rarely worth the sacrifice. Speeders are FAR superior at drawing fire and getting away.

StrictSalmon307 and TheAntiSnipe like this.
  9. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

He's right, you know. Shooters are unsuitable for playing "chicken". So is every other ship. The very existance of a speeder behind a team's "lines" is enough to create a helluva distraction. I know, if I see them, they see me. So I just show myself and wait to see if someone fires. Then I kite them into the back. Then I start shooting. That's when they call for help. Their fixer forgets he's holding the frontline by assisting a shooter. The shooter dies, my team charges in. Now evenif I die, I have done my job.

Rated R and Zachiderp like this.
  10. *JAWS*

*JAWS* Well-Known Member

I dont think i advocated for 1vs5

My examples said it raraly ever is that scenario.

1vs1
    1vs2
    1vs3
    Were the examples i said most were bay like

Its the same reason distraction speedet play works.

And double tesla shield enforcer works.

Drawing fire while enemy misses.

As for a shooter. I would have no problem with a 4k shooter charging.

They probably already have a kill ratio higher than .8
    And also comments saying no boats should do this are dead wrong.

Defenders in nitemare are encouraged by other nitemare fantastic players to charge. And to draw fire. And to create damage. Different expectations in different leagues.

And i dont write this as someone saying suicide. My kill ratio is .87 as a defender.
    This is just more straight talk to the value of tactics.

There is value to drawing fire. And distracting fire.

My biggest uptake to discussion is. If u charge. Be able to kill someone. But I would now say the same comment to campers. Who are unable to finish games at end of match because they have too many aoe weaons.
    There is also value to always attacking the toughest player on other team.
    But that would be a whole new topic.

Rainbow Warrior and Rated R like this.
  11. Snapshot

That exact scenario just happened to me earlier. I went to deal with the speeder and, I think, another shooter. The healer followed me... probably because i was the heavy hitter on the team. I dealt with the two enemies with, of course, full health but the rest of our team was virtually dead by then.

12. Snapshot

"Chicken" works or doesn't depending on whether the unfriends are competent. What is stupid at 2k infamy can work under the right circumstances at 1k infamy and wins an astonishingly large amount of the time at 650. Down at 650, you're right. I'd be dead in 10 seconds if 4 guys fixated on me and could hit me. Neither of those things is very likely to be true. That M4 shooter with dual mortars and dual flares... .what's he going to do to stop me even if we assume he can hit me. I can write off the dual-mine speeder too. That kind of thing is why you can charge a pack 1v5 and succeed down in the land of flotsam & jetsam.

13. pcRazen

pcRazen Member

Chicken... never was big on charging. But I'm still leveling up. I pray someone charges me so I can kill them "together" with my team.

And usually being the shooter with the least hp. I always try to pick up the charger. So my high hp. Boats can remain untouched.

14. Ash KOT

Ash KOT MVP

I love the way you instantly dismiss the speeder,

"Speeder? You would think they wouldn't do it, but they do. You will die in 3 hits, guaranteed. Don't do it."

You have to land those 3 hits first :)
    If I see a shooter running solo, away from the pack, I will always take him on in a 1 vs 1 in a speeder, 90% of the time they do die, and very rarely will I die with them.
    Alternating between stun and nitro usually means they miss majority of the time whilst I am dropping bombs with Big Torp and Blast Cannon.

Rated R likes this.
  15. Rated R

Rated R Member

I have no idea what infamy envylife is, but most speeders above the 3,200 infamy threshold can and do beat shooters in 1v1 situations, especially mk6 speeders.

16. The Otherguy

The Otherguy Well-Known Member

Tech support
    2,500 I believe.

17. envylife

Close, I was lower 2k until yesterday and then I lost 80% of my battles for the entire day. I don't know if Matchmaker(tm) thought my infamy needed to be shaken up, or whether it had something to do with the start of a new season, but it was quite unsettling considering my infamy was unchanged for over a week. I would imagine chicken is different at 1k vs 2k vs 3k vs 4k, particularly when speeders and enforcers start utilize some key yellow items.

So let's change this topic a bit. My original point was to emphasize that generally playing chicken is not a great strategy, as differentiated from 1v1 battles where both opponents don't have the "kill or be killed" mindset, typically firing and fleeing to a different battle point. IMO a match should involve multiple strategies with players using their teammates, using maps, hiding spots, shelter, engaging multiple enemies, etc, not just going off on suicide missions, but actually trying to extend the match.

Unfortunately due to sheer lack of speed, when Shooters and Defenders get engaged 1v1 they have no real choice but to do the chicken dance. Not only that, but they also lack really key 1v1 yellow items like tesla shield, tesla bolt, frost blaster, and nitro, each of which change the complexity of close range engagement. I've thought for a long time that a yellow slot could be a game changer for the slow boats to make the 1v1s more interesting than just cycling weapons, and really a game change for the battles as a whole. Yellow boat matches are a nice deviation from the norm.

I'd start by lobbying for giving Shooter and Defender the option to replace a red slot with a yellow to make for much more interesting combat overall.
    What would happen if yellow and red were merged? The vast array of boat options would be a real game changer, and maybe the way BB should have been designed from the outset.
    What do you think?

The Otherguy likes this.
  18. pcRazen

pcRazen Member

Custom.boats... i like it.

The Otherguy likes this.
  19. Snapshot

A point I completely believe after watching a few high mark speeder videos. Those 15 second stuns look terrifying. I wish more people talk about infamy range in their comments. It'd sure help me, a noob, to understand the game better and plan forward. It took me a while to realize I was getting a ton of bogus information here because people were talking about situations that simply don't exist at my level. So to you old dogs out there...

No: Speeders are excellent at 1v1 vs. any boat and are much to be feared.
    Yes: Starting at around 2500 infamy, speeders get longer stuns and more slots to enable <xxx,yyy> and that turns them into fearsome 1v1 machines.

Help a noob today! :)

20. vis1234567899

vis1234567899 Well-Known Member

Lol, Lol lots of these vids dont help if u are a noob but then they dont help me either as I just play it by myself. At ur and my level stuns are not going to get much higher than like eight secs which really isnt helpful especially if a rare tier 1 does 4.5 secs stun, u can bearly get out of the vicinity by then.

The Otherguy likes this.