1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Every single player is near 55% - stupid AF

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by SharkTank, 26 May 2017.

1. SharkTank

SharkTank Active Member

What's the difference between a "causal game" and one that's not? I consider any game where you can spend money and be ranked against others to not be so casual.

2. SharkTank

SharkTank Active Member

What does that even mean? My infamy is >1k. Not great, but I'm not a complete noob.

It's my simple opinion. I was going to spend money on new weapons, and then thought - what's the point? I'll just end up around 55% no matter what I do.

I'm trying to give constructive feedback that will allow this game to be great - while making a good profit along the way.

3. Stelmo

Stelmo Well-Known Member

If you think all it takes to gain infamy is to grind out as many games as possible give it a try. You'll soon see that that doesn't work.

You will reach an infamy plateau many times as you you progress in this game.
    You'll be stuck at say 2000 infamy (plus minus a couple hundred) for ages, until finally you get the epic duplicate, training perk or the new ship evo you've been waiting for.
    Then you'll be winning more than you're losing, until you reach your next comfortable infamy range.
    The 50% win rate is created in these ranges. You win a few, and suddenly you're in over your head and you lose a few. Simple stuff.

Of course it's not a static system and all players are improving their gear at a fairly even rate unless they're paying for it. So even when you get the upgrade you're dreaming about, so did many of your unfriends, and you won't suddenly be winning every match.

The system isn't broken, certainly not as far as your win rate is concerned. It's just plain logic.

Think for a minute instead of jumping on every whinging, whining bandwagon you can find, and just enjoy blowing up the little boats.

Totoro and Whoops like this.
  4. D3X

D3X Well-Known Member

What's this magical 55% win ratio everyone speaks of? The people I see around me are between 47-49%.

5. RESQMI

RESQMI Active Member

Something I read in the old forum from one of the Dev stating that the matchmaking system is based on a player maintaining around 50% win ratio.
    If you are winning most of the time, you are playing better than those around the infamy range so it will match you up with stronger opponents.

6. SharkTank

SharkTank Active Member

Have my posts indicated that I'm not thinking about this?

As you said, as soon as you get a better gun or boat, everyone you go up against has the same loadout. So where is the incentive to get better stuff?

My only point is that it's a stupid way to rank and match players if the goal of the game is to make money and keep people invested.

How is any game fun when you're guaranteed to win about 50% of the time no matter how good you are or what you run?? It defies logic to run a game this way.

7. D3X

D3X Well-Known Member

Right, but that's 50% including draws. So what tends to happen is that it's between 47-49% including all the draws. Sure, if players are OVER 50% that's impressive it you're over 2000 infamy, however, it IS only "Last 30 days" so eventually you will hit that Infamy wall and you'll plateau and that would mean it would level to 47-50% range when you do for majority of the 30 days.

So again, what's this 55% number?

8. Whoops

Whoops Member

See but that's where you are wrong. Effort does not equal reward. If I tried as hard as I could to be good at basketball and played for hours every day but never go very good I would never be drafted into the NBA. And if I was a hunter and tried really hard to kill a deer so my family could eat but never actually shot anything my family would starve. Your logic makes no sense.

9. SharkTank

SharkTank Active Member

Lower than 50% means you're slightly worse than an average player. Slightly above, and you're better. But no matter how good or bad you are, no matter how much money you spend, no matter what your loadout is, you'll always be around 50%.

The 55% seems to be about the rate of the "top" players. So the difference between the best and worst players in this game is only about 10%.

10. Fiorell

Fiorell Active Member

Preserving your 90% win rate would be ridiculous. Your four team mates will like it, your five opponents won't (especially if there is another 'ace' opponent which also deserves a 90% win rate). Why do you want to always play with players which stand no chance against you?

11. oDDD

oDDD Member

Most dont realize that yes the more you play the more you are rewarded. A terroble players playing more than double the games a good player plays will still earn more gold and sugar the good player makes. Thus more gold more sugar makes for more crew training and gear lvls. Also more pieces bought from market etc etc. In an Elo system eventually everyone meets a roughly 50% winrate when they hit the mark their gear gets them too (now skill helps keep a player at the high mark -say 1800 at mk3- and a bad player with same gear may plateau at 1500 at mk3) both will find themselves eventually at ~50% winrate sooooo both players merely should PLAY MORE to earn upgrades and training. And then start to rise again. Rinse repeat.

12. Whistler

Whistler Active Member

Maybe because the devs decided to make a game where people would want to be as active as possible. Why should games automatically be about skill? There are a lot of skill rewarding games out there already, having a game that allows people to feel progress and enjoy themselves even if they are not that good at gaming doesn't sound like something bad to me.

OniZoro and oDDD like this.
  13. oDDD

oDDD Member

People dont know how to just have fun playing. This game has very reasonable rewards for even a loss. Allowing you too progress even if you literally los every single match somehow (which is inpossible as ive been on winning and losing sides of 4v5 matches.) basically people just need to have fun and play.

Fiorell likes this.
  14. oDDD

oDDD Member

Their is more skill in this game then alpt give credit for. We have all see those skill less players who are just so easy to hit amd just dont know what they should do. Yes Infamy levels are largely based on gear levels BUT their are swings of hundreds of infamy that can only be maintained with skill with weapons. I love this game so far because i find it extremely fine tuned for Skill vs Gear.

15. Totoro

Totoro Active Member

Tree Spirit
    Just focus on infamy relative to player level. That is the key to judging skill. The game makes it clear to me that is what matters. (I do wish they did away with win rate...makes no sense since matchmaking is based on infamy)

World of Tanks, CoC, many other games follow similar formulas.

But in the end, are you having fun? If not, move on.

16. oDDD

oDDD Member

But remember, this isnt real life. Its Battle Bay. We pmay by battle bay world rules. Playing more should reward more (Rovio wants MM to have enough people to make matches after all) just like the real world too, practice makes perfect. The reason ypu could never make the NBA might be you are 4'11'' with two left feet. Genetics, not the fault of practice. So like genetics holding players back. Gear can also hold players back. And without a reason to keep losing with little reward and zero way to get better gear..why practice?

17. D3X

D3X Well-Known Member

LMAO! @SharkTank I'm definitely higher Infamy than you and would likely be better, but my Winning percentage is 48%. And amongst all my peers in the same infamy range, it's 47-49%. Unless you have massive P2W Weapons loaded and winning more in the last 30 days, you'll eventually level out. Even the TOP 50 players at the TOP of the leaderboard, majority are not above 52%.

Your perspective of this game with Winnning percentage is incorrect. That's NOT a good way of judging a good player, neither is Damage dealt per game, nor infamy.

18. SharkTank

SharkTank Active Member

You've restated what I said. Everyone is around 50%. The "best" players are around 55%.

I agree winning % and infamy are terrible ways to gauge good players. But my point is that we are ranked on infamy, which is based solely on activity (since we are all around 50%) win rate.

That's all I'm saying. There is no way to really gauge or reward skill in this game - and it annoys me.

Ps - I just looked at the top 20 players right now. Average win % is 53.71.

Last edited: 26 May 2017
  19. - C l o u d y -

- C l o u d y - Member

A Person ⊙︿⊙
    Actually my defender isn't even above 2k hp and I can still get past 1k infamy.

Also read the rules thread then lol.

20. D3X

D3X Well-Known Member

You should rephrase to "top" players instead of the word "Best". Some players like Blacktail, Christmas, and Thunder Sword are considered the "Best" but may not be necessarily at the top at the very moment. And Best of which ship? Find the nearest top fixer, I would consider as one of the best in the world in that Ship class, but won't be in the top 50.

Okay here's one thing you probably didn't know. All nightmare players above 3500 Infamy get reset to 3500 infamy at the end of the season. So all of a sudden they are pitting against 3K players and below and the disparity is huge when these players that are typically around 4K infamy. That's why they win more than 50% (53.71% average for the top 20), do the math for top 50 (bet you it's lower!).

That drop in infamy is huge, because majority of the initial dropped and games played afterwards would be wins. It's as if at the end of the season, you were dropped 500 infamy and likely you would gain it back until you levelled off again. So what I'm saying is that only Nightmare players that can get past 3.5K have this priviledge, and only those that can get to 4K can get 53%+ . You're only talking about Handful of players here, like literally you can count with your fingers and not the vast Majority. So this 55% number is complete crock which only exists at below 1000infamy or if you're paying out of your noses for legendaries in that month to win that many games in 30 days.

Last edited: 26 May 2017