1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Capture! Negative!

Discussion in 'Strategy Discussion' started by GoreSnorkle, 27 Dec 2017.

1. GoreSnorkle

GoreSnorkle Active Member

Well honestly this is one of the things i like most about this game... there is no one way to win. If it works for you, go for it i guess. But I’m still dead set against leading my team into a killing field. And there are three areas to shoot from, you dont need to be anywhere near the door in number two to send in mortars torps or bullets. Heck i could drive the bus in there. Plus your whole strategy depends on everyone knowing what they are doing... and again, you sound like you play in NML so this advice, as we discussed, doesn’t;t apply to you and yours nearly as much as it does down around 2k... where every speeder is Batman and every tank is The Hulk (in their minds.)

Where did you get that sweet ass map?

2. GoreSnorkle

It was the ‘mental retards’ comment that i thought was a little... inconsiderate.

Ive been as high as Ace 1 pre-rollback spent a month or two in Embargo Jail now I’m hovering at an embarrassing 2000.

Also I should mention Bitter’s my guild leader... so i get to play with tons of nightmares (in customs lol where i watch the action from the bottom of the Bay after i burn)

3. Babablacksheep

Babablacksheep Well-Known Member

Not a NML man! Hovering around 3.3-3.5k,But yeah! Freq matched with those hard-core players.Sometimes even the best haha! Leaving aside those strat,I prefer open battle field too in drop-Dead Specifically.That batman and hulk ref. tho:D:D
    That map is a result of glitch i found in facebook group,Some one posted it! Requested devs to release offcial images of those maps,Lets see would be fun to discuss strat if they give us something.

4. Babablacksheep

Not embrassing at all! I know escaping to 2k infamy is knot which tightens more when you try to escape it.Infamy always doesnt justify the skill.
    ohh that was for people we are discussing about,The solo hulk/batmans you just referred too(Not aimed at you,But still i will edit it out)

5. Snapshot

Snapshot Well-Known Member

Gosh. And here I am at what... 750 infamy right now and I wouldn't agree with that description. Sure, SOME players have no idea what they're doing. I'm sure someone thinks that of me when I go Leroy Jenkins a match I'm hoping to lose. You know... "What the hell does that shooter think he's doing charging the enemy team?" (oddly enough, I win anyway a disconcerting amount of the time. I suck at playing poorly). But honestly I've seen a fair bit of pretty impressive play too.
    Given your description of the 2k realm perhaps I'm better off to stay down here where the good players are?

OK, snark aside, I think it's a mistake to focus on the negatives. I prefer to work with the positives and work around the negatives. I do, however, agree with your main point. I certanly would not want to try to coordinate a complicated strategy without voice comm or prior planning. The odds that I'd manage to get 2 people here, one there, and 2 over there successfully are something like zero. Still, it's reassuring to know that it can be done at higher levels and I retain hope that I can help train... at least somewhat... all the other noobs swimming with me in the noobie fish bowl.

Last edited: 31 Dec 2017
    Babablacksheep likes this.
  6. GoreSnorkle

Don’t worry I didn’t think you meant me, blacksheep but people will take offence if they read that... I grew up on army bases in he 80’s so we used it a lot too but these days it’s considered a slur on the mentally challenged. You know how some people hunt for things to get offended at...

Just had a match in Damage Depot that i lost for this very reason, actually. Opposing team took over the capture zone, so one of our ships rushed in trying to be a hero and found their whole team got there ahead of him. One down... then another guy rushes in trying to save him; two down. I managed to kill the fixer and the mine layer, but by then I was faced with a 3 on 1... they stayed in for a while, then all rushed me. Because I had all three of them down to about half hitpoints so they realized they needed to rush me. So the strategy worked, but only because my team was fractured. Had even one other person still been with me, I think we would have pulled it out.

Still, they won with the very strategy you were talking about... fuckin assholes. (Kidding)

Babablacksheep likes this.
  7. GoreSnorkle

Not you guys, i meant the unfriends

8. tonberryking98

tonberryking98 Active Member

Tbh, rushing to capture on wayward pains has worked slightly more than 50% of the games i tried it in (as a win in general not just capture win), but if i see a speeder on the unfriends side, i wouldnt bother to try it

9. ViscountSniffit

ViscountSniffit Well-Known Member

Going into the capture area on Damage Depot is really the only viable strategy for me. If you play a shooter with lots of long ranged weapons, then you’re probably happy to snipe and mortar the unfriends from outside, but if (like me) you’re a speeder running Explosive Cannon: I’m generally out of range on the outside.

This leaves me with two options...

#1: I wait with the shooters until the unfriends are sufficiently broken up, so I can advance.

#2: I try to work my way forward, using cover, so that I’m close enough to contribute my own damage.

The first strategy is safer, but it means I’m essentially dead weight for most of the fight, I might as well be AFK. That’s fine if my team gets the upper hand regardless, and I can swoop in after to capitalise, but that’s rather an optimistic expectation, when you’re letting your team fight 4v5.

So the second option, is really the only option, and the only place on Damage Depot where you can advance, in cover, is through the capture zone. Every other route to the unfriends’ side is a death trap.

10. BITTERSTEEL

BITTERSTEEL Well-Known Member

The Foundry is a great map to capture on, but it’s based on your team compositions. If they have a fixer and you don’t, they can sit back and heal in their little fortress spawn area. Capturing forces them to leave their spawn. But yeah, it’s very situational. Opening plays can make or break your game.

On a side note, do you mean this game?
    We didn’t exactly get torn to shreds, but it was still a questionable play on my end because I wasn’t sure of the strategy on that map as it was relatively new.

Capturing is still a great strategy on DD, especially when you have speeders on your team. If i’m top infamy, i try to call the shots. This is a little play I like using. (sorry for the roughness!)

With the new commands, I can tell the yellow ships specifically to go for capture at the start of a battle. Usually it’s like, “XXX, go capture!” and “Follow me!.” If my team is responsive, the yellows zip towards capture, while the slower ships follow me and camp behind the bus. (1)
    576015FE-EE41-4DB6-83A3-D8B0EC1AD2A5.jpeg
    The unfriends panic, and rush to their entrance (blue) to stop capture. But this also leaves them wide open to take fire from our damage dealers as they cross (yellow). They manage to get to blue and waste shots trying to stop capture against hard to hit speeder(s), and manage to do it. BUT, they don’t notice the rest of our team sneaking up and flanking them. They’re all clustered and boxed in together: torpedo/mortar heaven, with half their weapons cooling down. Assuming everyone is on the same wavelength as you and is cooperative, it usually works!

Attached Files:

11. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

Yay! Someone did my strat before me!:D

12. BITTERSTEEL

BITTERSTEEL Well-Known Member

Oops!! I really gotta start reading the entire thread before I post..

TheAntiSnipe likes this.
  13. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

You the best, mate. Cheers, and a happy new year to ya!:) From a big fan.

14. BasedCarpen

BasedCarpen Well-Known Member

You're the guy that ticks me off in Dropdead Gorge, I play mortars so I can not be under that bridge, I always say capture because I excel from there

Eeyore likes this.
  15. Babablacksheep

From that i day i always capture in forundry:D:D.This is something that happended yesterday.Thanks for the strat,It always helps me.And yea you should read the full thread lol! IMG_6387.jpg

16. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

When out team don’t go to the capture zone, two things might happen:

Ppl will come staringt the map, in the front combat or;

All enemy team will go capture and we will stay outside. Both ways you can still use your mortars.