1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Mortar Mechanism

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Ricky Susanto, 27 Dec 2017.

1. Ricky Susanto

Ricky Susanto New Member

Hi all, sorry newbie question here.

A mortar will be more effective for shorter time from the time it launched till it arrives. The question is :

1. Long Range Mortar will have longer arrival time since it has longer range , is it correct ? Thus make it less efficient in terms of speed ?
    2. Any mortar will have longer arrival if they use longer distance perks , is this also correct ? If correct , would you use it on mortar (longer distance perk) ?

Thank you , your opinion will be highly appreciated :).

vis1234567899 and • Percy • like this.
  2. The Otherguy

The Otherguy Well-Known Member

Tech support
    Not really, LRM is the fastest mortar out there, even at range.
    The projectile has further to travel, but it barely adds any time.

3. • Percy •

• Percy • Well-Known Member

9th grader
    Range perks do not add or reduce flight time. (JOIN THE SPEEDER SIDE). Peace.

TheFixer27, Ian, Stonebanks and 2 others like this.
  4. vis1234567899

vis1234567899 Well-Known Member

I hope u mean become a speeder with a mortar lol. i 100% SUPPORT THIS

The Otherguy and • Percy • like this.
  5. • Percy •

• Percy • Well-Known Member

9th grader
    Ive tried every item in the game at least once on my speeder. I'm sticking with this setup for now :D

The Otherguy and vis1234567899 like this.
  6. vis1234567899

vis1234567899 Well-Known Member

seriously eventhough i have a rank 4 blast cannon my big bertha allows me the mk4 speeder to go against defenders mk5 with literally 3 times my life

• Percy • likes this.
  7. Ricky Susanto

Ricky Susanto New Member

Thank you very much for your info, then how do we know the flight time on each mortar ? Because in my experience standard mortar vs big bertha , big bertha is quite slow on flight time and i can feel the difference.

• Percy • and The Otherguy like this.
  8. Joey who

Joey who Well-Known Member

Your flight time won't change if you fire at a longer range rather than at short range. If you shoot at short range the bomb will still fly all the way up and travel at normal speed

9. Ricky Susanto

Ricky Susanto New Member

Thank you very much for your info, then how do we know the flight time on each mortar ? Because in my experience standard mortar vs big bertha , big bertha is quite slow on flight time and i can feel the difference.

10. MrSpy720

MrSpy720 Active Member

Yes. Actually we can't know the projectile speed of mortar shells. All we know is that it is prefixed and doesn't changes with the range perks.
    According to me, the projectile speed of mortar would be in following order :
    LRM > STD > BALLPARK > BIG BERTA.
    I may be wrong though.

11. kurdish bndo

kurdish bndo Active Member

are you 100% sure or it is based on your own experience ?

12. Joey who

Joey who Well-Known Member

100.1% sure

Mr. Chompers likes this.
  13. kurdish bndo

in my opinion
    if the change of X dont change V like it should , according to this
    this mean that it isnt speed what change its landing time , instead of that it has air-time, and according to this
    iam sure that mortar have air-time ,but why that order?
    first we all know big berta has the slowest projectile speed (like we used to say) so it has the highest air-time

and all other have the same air-time
    but why it is ordered too?
    first :LRM bcuz till it travel all that range we thought it should be faster

second :STD not ballpark bcuz ballpark radius is away bigger (so its radius is much more near to the one who fire it ,so we expect it to land before STD but bcuz of the same air-time they land together and we thought it is slower than STD .

last : why big berta dont have same air-time? it is obvious , it is 2 slot and deal alot of damage

i might be tottaly wrong , but it is the only reason why distance dont change the speed. please tell me if you are with me or not.

Last edited: 31 Dec 2017
  14. Rivet

Rivet Active Member

The best example would be the grenade launcher because it is the easiest to see, and therefore demonstrate. Launch it at maximum range, then at minimum range, which is basically on top of yourself. Contrary to expectations, the minimum range projectile actually moves slower, but with less distance to travel, making the time at longer range take the same amount.

15. Ricky Susanto

Ricky Susanto New Member

Can anyone expert / from the DEV side confirm this ? Or do we need to waste some time experimenting using stopwach ? lol.

From some comment , so I have a conclusion that Big Bertha would have longer projectile (or flying time or whatever it called), and the other would be the same (long range , standard , ballpark) ?

16. Lardfinnish

Lardfinnish New Member

Let's use a little science here.
    A mortar is a ballistic munition, like a bullet. It has a charge that launches the projectile at a specific velocity based on its maximum range. This is a constant. In order to reduce the range, you will have to shoot higher in the air at a steep angle. The overall distance covered by the mortar would be roughly the same flight time because of the mortar shell having a constant force launching it.

The variations between the different types of damage, fly times and ranges come down to mortar shell size and the size of the launcher itself.

Logically standard, LRM and BP all fit in 1 slot so for the different types of ranges the shell size and guns would need to give and take based on what your final desired result is. LRM. The gun itself would be heavier and longer to contain a higher explosive for distance. The shell would have to be smaller thereby reducing damage. Standard and bp (i believe) have relatively the same range. Their shell size and gun size would be similar but the shell sizes different, therefore different cooldowns and damage outputs. BB, needing to launch a much larger shell has a higher charge, cooldiwn and slower speed, because it takes much more energy to launch that shell it's maximum distance.

There's more that goes into it all and I'm sure that actual physics didn't go into the calculations but relative math did.

So it's long winded but the perks really wouldn't change the speed of the mortar because all that's being changed is the angle (and to hell with the physics).

yellow flash likes this.
  17. kurdish bndo

I thought about that but I was sure that they dont take care about physics or math
    They just saw something in their dream and the next week anew update arrive in store

18. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

Lol no, it doesn't work that way. They have to take projectile motion into consideration when coding the sprite for the mortar shot. They have to look well at speed, elevation and projected projectile "ground zero", or point of impact.

19. kurdish bndo

why till now noone mentioned "fire bomb" it is a mortar too!!

TheAntiSnipe likes this.
  20. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

In my personal opinion, aside from the LRM, FB is the best mortar in BB.

The Otherguy likes this.