1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Every single player is near 55% - stupid AF

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by SharkTank, 26 May 2017.

1. SharkTank

SharkTank Active Member

If you look at the win/loss % of every single player in this game - from level 40 to level 4 - every single player is right around 55%.

What this tells me is that as soon as you win a few games in a row and start to move up quickly, you get put into matches way above your skill and tank levels.

As soon as you get a few +24 infamy scores, you get a few -24, and it all balances out.

Basically, this game simply rewards the most active players because over thousands of games, the 55 win % will yield a higher infamy than someone who only plays a few hundred games.

This means a bad player who plays 2k games will have a higher infamy score than a great player who has played "only" 1,500. That second player could finish first every game and it simply doesn't matter.

This is a terrible point system that is designed to keep everyone "equal," and it's terrible.

2. - C l o u d y -

- C l o u d y - Member

A Person ⊙︿⊙
    1. This has already been talked about. Next time search for related threads.
    2. It is not as hard as you think to win.
    Just use the tips in past threads and you can win easily ^

3. KnightOfZ

KnightOfZ Member

First off its 50% which is what it should be mathematically speaking if you never improve or get worse.
    Second a person who is worse but plays more should be rewarded.

It's like saying the genius who never studies should only get A's and not so smart people who study 8 hrs a day should never be allowed to get an A.

4. mammoth1946

mammoth1946 Active Member

What you said not true. i got win/loss ratio of 49%.
    before update infamy 2,300 now 3000 . its all depends on skills and items.

5. behumble

behumble Well-Known Member

personally i have played over 1k battles and have not even a 51% win rate. but then again, i am not a paying player haha. This game is built very loosely on skill

6. SharkTank

SharkTank Active Member

If it's been said, then it needs to be said again to raise awareness. By your logic, if one person protests, no one else needs to because 1 person protesting has shown what people think.

The more it's discussed, the more potential for change to actually happen.

2 - I didn't say it was hard to win. I finished first in my noob league and am top 3 in my current league. I run an Mk2 shooter and am usually one of the only Mk2's in my battles.

I said it was about even chance to win for the vast majority of players. I'd like to think I'm better than 90+% of the players with similar loadouts and time playing this game.

But that doesn't matter, because as soon as I win a few games in a row, I become the way-too-low man on the matchmaking totem pole, and get absolutely smoked.

This game ensures that you never really get above 55-60% no matter how good you are.

That's inherently a flawed system in my opinion (and apparently many others since this has been posted before).

Last edited: 26 May 2017
  7. SharkTank

SharkTank Active Member

But nearly every player no matter the league or infamy is around 55%. Some are closer to 50% and some are closer to 60%. Does that mean that no one in this game is good enough to have a better than average rating?

Your analogy is wrong. The person who studies should be able to get an A, but they should have to work 3x as hard. Right now, it's whoever works harder gets the A, even if one person is a genius and the other is a moron. That makes no sense.

If a really smart person (i.e., a good player) can get As without studying (i.e., doesn't play a lot), then they should get A's (i.e., be ranked higher). Meanwhile, if a dumb person (i.e., a bad player) studies all day and night (i.e., an active player), it doesn't mean they should still get an A (be ranked higher).

Sometimes, it simply doesn't matter how much you study. If you aren't smarter, and therefore do better, you don't deserve to get an A. Maybe you get a "B" for effort. But that's about it.

Said another way, why does this game reward activity and not skill?

8. SharkTank

SharkTank Active Member

Cool. So your slightly worse than average. You're on the low end of the overall 55% average. Others are at 60%.

But how many are 45% or lower? How many are 65% or higher? NONE. That implies every person in this game is an "average" player, which is simply not true.

9. KnightOfZ

KnightOfZ Member

*sigh*
    Okay

Let's say it was fair. Your win rate will always be 50%. This is true for any game that is fair or not.

When you start off playing 10 games, let's say you win 9.

You have a 90% win rate, congrats.

You move up the ranks with people who are better skilled.

You win 8/10 games, your win rate is 85%, still good.

Let's fast forward till when you are at people similar to your skill level.
    You will win half and you will lose half, and slowly but surely that 85% win rate will matter less and less.

Example:
    When you play an infinite amount of games, and for sake of making it simple, let's say you play 10,000 games of people your skill level where you WILL win half and lose half (because they are your skill level and you aren't getting worse or better) then those initial 20 games where you had a high win rate is become more and more meaningless.

You can do this with a calculator. you can do .85/ 1 (initial win rate divided by the number of games played, for our sake we will count those first 20 games as 1 game)
    then try (.85 + .5)/2 (initial win rate plus average win rate once you reach your skill limit divided by the number of games played) / 2
    then try .85 + .5 +.5 / 3
    then .85 + .5 + .5+ .5% /4

as you continue (lets say you do that 1000 times) it will approach 50%.
    If you really want then I'll modify it so that those 20 games are indeed 20 games and not 1, but it will ultimately be the same.

So when you look at these players with 55% win rate, they probably have a small sample size of ~500 games. Now if they had 2k+ games and had a 55% score then it means they were lucky or they improved their gear / skill faster than most

Also damage means nothing to me in an arguement cause then shooters would always have the advantage and should always get the A compared to Defenders or speeders. A defender who did 100 damage but allowed his team to win should be rewarded.
    In fact most of the time I see these 5k damage outputters is because they were allowed to by their teammates.
    I'm not saying it can't be skill but there are way to many factors to consider that make damage done as a solid bargaining chip in a discussion.

As to why it rewards activity is because your skill is limited by your equipment and those that play more get more resources for equipment regardless if they are god awful or godly.

Last edited: 26 May 2017
    OniZoro likes this.
  10. D0m1no

D0m1no New Member

Onion Peeler
    Oh dear i must be rubbish then im pretty sure im around 50%

11. HeroicBubbles

HeroicBubbles Active Member

Same, I'm at an abysmal 46.5%. I must really suck at 2500 infamy with t2 rares.

SCOOTY PUFF Jr likes this.
  12. - C l o u d y -

- C l o u d y - Member

A Person ⊙︿⊙
    Tbh idk why you didn't read the rules, also if you need proof that a person without a lot of matches played can have a higher WR then I can simply show you my own profile for instance.
    I still have less than 300 matches played and I'm going to be back at 61% here soon.

13. Totoro

Totoro Active Member

Tree Spirit
    Win ratio would only matter if you play against similar levels. In this game, you are really judged by infamy. If you farm a lot like me, you rise as high as you can, based on some combo of skill, ships, crew and items. Then you plateau for a while. Win ratio will have to avearage 50 really for most of us with this play style. So win ratio is meaningless to me. I am trying to learn, train crew and accumulate resources and then rise in infamy as a result. Time or money is how you accomplish this. I favor time. ;-)

oDDD likes this.
  14. Kitterini

Kitterini Well-Known Member

Your premis is flat out wrong - Aside from new players (with inflated win % against tutorial bots) & world top 50 (getting free wins due to their infamy being 'reset' every season).

The vast majority of players will graduate towards a win-% between 45 & 50, mostly class dependant as some classes are better at getting a drawn when needed.

15. hypurr

hypurr New Member

That's really not how it works. Eventually you will seem to win a certain amount in a row and then get floored by better players

I went from 550 to 780 infamy back to 530 in one day because of this and my w/r went from 55-56-55.

16. RESQMI

RESQMI Active Member

Hmmm... seems like many players are taking this issue too seriously....
    Unless the game remove all the upgrading option and all players start a game without any advantage over others, then I can agree that this is a skill based game.
    The Dev already explained the system in a number of threads, they adopt the infamy system largely due to be able to pair up players fast for a quick game.
    IMO this is a casual game, I think too many players are taking losing in a game too seriously.

USDT~___V___ likes this.
  17. SharkTank

SharkTank Active Member

Sorry to say, but your entire post is invalid. Look at the "top" ranked players in this game. All near 55%. They should be closer to 75%.

18. Verb

Verb New Member

Obvious OP is one of those ruler measurement stick guys and can't do that cus his infamy too low to do so. Moving on.

19. SharkTank

SharkTank Active Member

LOL - you say 61% as though it's some crazy high number. It's about 5% above the average. Wow! I'm around 60 as well. As soon as it i hit it, I get bumped into all mk3 and mk4 bots, and my 1100hp speeder can't compete.

Look at the "top" players in the game. All around 55% with thousands of games played.

How could this post be against the rules? Because we are discussing something worthwhile?

20. SharkTank

SharkTank Active Member

You quote me saying I'm wrong and then say the same thing.

How is 95% of players being around 50% a good thing for this game? It means no matter how much money you spend, skill you have, or time you out into it, you will always win and lose an equal amount.

What's the incentive to be the best player? None. There is only incentive to be the most active player.