1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

On the Subject of the Sniper Cannon

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by CaffeinatedChris, 30 Nov 2017.

1. Jasper21

Jasper21 Active Member

If you think it’s the same, ok then :rolleyes: And I don’t really care if you want sniper nerfed or not. I replied to your post not because I think you’re asking for nerf, I was simply commenting on the matter of “I get hit by sniper when I can’t see the unfriends” and giving my opinion on how to balance sniper, that’s it :)

vis1234567899 likes this.
  2. Crashedup

Crashedup Well-Known Member

It not what I think just read my post above it

3. vis1234567899

vis1234567899 Well-Known Member

ok fine lets compare it to blast cannon so my tier 3 blast cannon does somewhere around 550 damage and with the talents and one tier upgrading it would be 700 then. Three shots with blast cannon will do 1900 damage which is the around the same as what u said for ur sniper (400+400+1000=1800), yet for blast cannon u have to lead ur shots, be quite close whereas sniper needs no leading and can be from far away where u cant get hit apart from another sniper or railgun.
    A slight nerf would make it much fairer; eg lower crit chance as once in 3 shots is good and as u get higher into the game 1 in every two shots is way to high.

A55A51N and TheAntiSnipe like this.
  4. Crashedup

That's what he is saying
    Rare has 3 perks slots so max crit chance
    37.5% i.e almost equal to 1 in every 3 shots
    Epic 4 perk slots
    You can take ur crit upto 45% approx 1 in every two shots
    But every decent player equips 4 the perk as increase in dmg of crit perk
    It follows the same ideology of preferring BC or ec over standard canon you can take one shot do.max dmg
    Second as you will train ur crew you will start to see the balance in dmg b/w sniper and BC
    2 BC shots = sniper non crit + sniper crit shot.
    Both weapons have different usage
    Sniper long to mid range
    That's why there are crits to provide extra dmg on some shots
    BC high dmg in every shot range close to mid
    The fact that sniper is most used is because it's best among the three long range weapons present in the game
    Better than lrm simply because of projectile speed and mortars don't sit well with every ship ex enfo speeder and fixer
    It's better than RG due to simple fact it's one slot and much lower cooldown.
    Most ship have 1- 3 weapon carrying capacity so you just don't want to equip an high extremely high cooldown weapon.
    and lastly it's way to easy and way to accurate in hitting speeders as compared to RG because of a slight arc ( as speeder use waves as a cover a lot)
    What you all ( same 7-10 people who are calling for sniper nerf ) are facing are high level sniper at lower lvl due to high lvl players ( training lvl 31- 38) that are matched against you.
    So shifting the sniper crit perks to later stages will also not work as these player have high traning but are just Noobs.
    What you need to learn is unpredictablity while moving your ships and learn other skills with time.( With the you will also learn to gauge which weapon the opponent will use due learning Thier setup and at what range you are)
    For now just play and build your item.
    And I have explained above lowering the crit chance will make it useless.
    It's most used item for a reason I explained above not because it's overpowered.

Last edited: 17 Dec 2017
    Jasper21 likes this.
  5. Jasper21

Jasper21 Active Member

LOL at “sniper needs no leading”. Try hitting a moving speeder using sniper without leading shot then. Even at range of 20-25 you still need to lead shot. Come on, the sniper projectile speed is fast but it’s not lightning fast.

One thing you need to consider is the consistency of the damage output. Blast cannon delivers consistent damage, while sniper depends on luck for crit. If you calculate the total damage output of 3 shots, both weapons have similar damage, but in situation where a target has 600 hp left, which weapon gives you a guaranteed kill in one shot? It’s the blast cannon. Of course you can argue that what if a target has 1000 hp left and sniper has the chance to kill it in one shot with crit? Yea definitely that can happen, but it can also happen that 2 consecutive shots are not crit and the target is not dead after 2 sniper shots. It’s out of the control of the sniper user. This is the drawback of sniper.

I hope all the players who said how OP and how easy to use a sniper have personal experience in using a sniper. Those who said you don’t need to lead sniper shot, try not to lead shot and see how many shots you will miss. And I’m not against balancing the sniper, I do agree that 45% crit chance is too high, but when asking for nerf, please also consider the F2P Rare sniper users whose snipers don’t crit at 2k+ and don’t crit once every 2 shots.

El cactus and vis1234567899 like this.
  6. A55A51N

A55A51N Well-Known Member

Student
    1/3 crit would be 100/3 = 33% so it’s a bit over 1/3 crit for rare.
    You can’t dodge a sniper shot if you are a shooter or defender, only speeders and enfos have the chance to do that.
    And you have a good point with it being the most used item because it’s the best long range. But it is also just as good in short and mid range. You just need to fire, and you might get 2000 dmg at my level

Babablacksheep and Ian like this.
  7. Ian

Ian Well-Known Member

Student
    Has nobody mentioned yet that blast/explosive cannon are easy to react to and dodge at long range, and at medium range possible to react to as enforcer / speeder? Whereas there ain't no way in hell im reacting to a sniper shot.

8. A55A51N

Student
    So you need to lead your shot for 1/5 ship classes so it’s not even slightly op!

9. Jasper21

Jasper21 Active Member

I only wrote speeder as an example. With almost every ship equipped with turbo now, it’s almost impossible to hit a moving target without leading shot at mid range, unless the target is moving in a straight line towards you (or backward).

El cactus likes this.
  10. ViscountSniffit

ViscountSniffit Well-Known Member

Being hard to hit is the whole point of the speeder, which is ‘supposed to be’ balanced out by it having fewer hp, not by having the most popular weapon in the game render the whole advantage moot. I’m certainly open to the idea that the speeder isn’t well balanced.

However, Sniper is the last weapon that should end up being a counter to speeders. The only reason it works so well is because it’s rediculosly overpowered (against all ships). The problem is, it doesn’t work that well for balance. In Nightmare it is ‘apparently’ not good enough to keep speeders in check, and in Master/Ace it’s too good, and makes speeder just another easy to hit ship, with not enough health.

11. Crashedup

Yeah it 37.5 % is more than 33% but so is 45% not 50% percent ( and haven't I mentioned approx there)
    See both side of the coin.
    First of all the sniper with that much dmg is only possible if it's epic tier 5 with one slot perk being crit dmg increase perk so automatically reduced chances of getting crit.
    That's why it does not always do crit dmg that chances are 1:3 and as I have explained in my post 1 crit sniper + I non crit sniper post = 2 shots of BC but since I am getting only 1 out of 3 shots thats are crits I am losing to BC in dmg this BC users do get reward for leading shots.
    Secondly I can miss my crit shot they are completely random whereas every shot of BC does same dmg so BC have that advantage too.
    Give my post another read it has answer to all your questions.

12. Jasper21

Jasper21 Active Member

Anyway I’m leaving the discussion now. I tried not to comment on all the sniper nerf threads until now :rolleyes: I can only hope that the nerf won’t make sniper unusable because not many F2P can afford losing one of their main weapons :(

Edit: I kinda wish Rovio announce that they are going to remove sniper from the game so that all sniper users can choose a 1-slot weapon of their choice to replace their sniper, with the same tier and level. Imma choose blast cannon because imo it is much better than sniper ;)

vis1234567899 and Crashedup like this.
  13. A55A51N

Student
    Yeah well same happened to frost, causing them to lose one of their main supports. But i hope that too

Jasper21 likes this.
  14. Jasper21

Jasper21 Active Member

Frost nerf was the worst we have seen. I did read almost all the frost nerf thread and no one ever suggested to nerf frost to this extend. Let’s hope such nerf won’t happen to any other weapon.

A55A51N likes this.
  15. Crashedup

Really the fastest moving ship in the game should not be countered by fast projectile weapon?
    So what should be the brilliant weapon that should hit speeders?
    EC the slowest projectile in the game?
    really where do you get ur facts from if it wasn't good enough nightmare people would not use it.
    As I have said again and again what ur facing are Noobs with high lvl training with better equipment aka sniper than you as you will practice and learn skill and get better equipment things will balance out like every other item in the game read my above answer to visit for full explanation it has answer to all ur queries

16. Memorize

Memorize Member

may I jump in and shares point of views of snipers about strength and weakness since I’m been using from mk1 to mk6 beginner leagues to nightmare.

17. A55A51N

Student
    Yeah welcome!

18. Memorize

Memorize Member

First of all I’m readed most of the post some said that’s sniper Critical too high and easy to shoot from long range it’s OP or so on.
    Pleas bear with me here the list what I thought about snipers.

1.Trying to get a hold of sniper T1-T5 common rare epic would take time and specially “luck” or even big bags of cash,power cell/parts/golds and sugars all the grinding. By nerfing it would affect those whose had spent all the time trying to upgrades it.

2. By Maxed sniper critical talent can reach up to 15% which kind of low then you needs perks to make it worthy right, honestly perks for sniper extremely rare hard to come by don’t forget that fact. As myself talking about more than year games played just to get all the epic perks just for them.
    Luckily it’s easier because of raffle rewards, Beta players knew how extremely to obtain exact rare or epic perks.How much times you have to spend to get snipers critical chance to 25% 30% 40% 45% who know I’m assure that would take more than a few months maybe year.

2.Sniper critical chance has no effect against Tesla Shield if you guys notice, Nightmare zone Snipers would never break TS take at least 2-3 shot. When facing Defenders theirs Hp and armor so high from 12k - 20k health with out critical hit you’re shooting 500-700 against them kind of tickles. Nightmare Speeder Enforcer Fixer are all fast and furious aiming skills indeed required and it’s not easy at all.

3. Snipers shoot straight projectle some maps(Sub zero big wave) making it even harder to shoot and have move to spots where enemies can see you as well. Older patches Sniper already got nerf 7.5% damages.

4. Once you’ve got yourself maxed T4/T5 snipers all epic perks definitely one of reliable shoot to kill against all boats.Critical shot damage can reach to 1200-2600 depends crew talent and what’s perks you’re using.

I’m understand that lower leagues saying snipers Op but because it’s accessible crew talent you can upgrades. Speeder geting hits easily well Speeder needs lots of talent to shine and better mk 4-7 or equips TS Nitro Bandage Big-shield would definitely helpful with your survival abilities.Mostly Yellow boat are still Top 10.

Apologize for my English skills.
    Thank you, Enjoy the Bay.

Last edited: 17 Dec 2017
  19. envylife

envylife Well-Known Member

I think Sniper over-use in Nightmare has less to do with crits as it does with the fact that it's the ONLY usable long range weapon available aside from Rail Gun. Maybe it's Mortars that need a speed buff, or another weapon to be introduced?

I also think some thought should be put into showing enemies who are firing from long range. When it's obvious where the enemy is based on the fact that you can see the shots being fired at the source, go ahead and slap that tag on them so we can return accurate fire... that would solve much of the issue people have of getting hit by invisible boats.

20. vis1234567899

vis1234567899 Well-Known Member

i still believe mortars should be given that random factor so no one knows whose mortar it is but they still know the shot is coming down
    leave the colur grey as red+green equals grey

Mr. Chompers likes this.