1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

On the Subject of the Sniper Cannon

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by CaffeinatedChris, 30 Nov 2017.

1. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

Joey who likes this.
  2. Babablacksheep

Babablacksheep Well-Known Member

3. ViscountSniffit

ViscountSniffit Well-Known Member

That’s not true at all. @The Otherguy has been talking about sniper crits for months, one of my first ever posts was about reducing its effectiveness at short range.

The nerf to frost and excannon while sniper slipped through the cracks ‘again’, was just the last straw. It wasn’t picked ‘at random’, that’s utter BS! It’s because it Is broken OP, and everyone knows it’s OP, which is why it’s so rediculously overused.

Ex cannon was nerfed for being “too versatile”, what a joke! when sniper hits like a railgun, at every range from zero to fifty, with half the slot point cost.

Here are some pictures from today, game completely dominated by this broken menace.

Speeding past, so close we’re practically touching:
    0BAF5BCF-77D5-4790-BF18-3E8995BEA999.png
    Point blank crit!
    0478BA17-3D11-4606-9FFF-EBC41F671401.png

Seconds later, my teammate, is practically annailated at long range by the same ship running double snipers. Taking almost as much damage as he dealt with the difficult and costly BT. A17CFAFA-360D-4194-8C2D-6800C7BE0765.png
    How is that not “too versatile”? How is that not game breaking? When he’s literally winning the game on his own.

4. TheAntiSnipe

Nobody really has a good excuse anymore NOT to nerf the sniper cannon at this level. They just spew more venom into the debate. Just my two cents.

The Otherguy and Ian like this.
  5. Ian

Ian Well-Known Member

Student
    I prefer a very very slight nerf like -5% crit chance or -5% damage. Sniper is not really too op, it just seems op as a speeder getting crit cross map. Us speeders have to have some kind of weakness tho, right?
    Ps: non sniper user / speeder main

6. Joey who

Joey who Well-Known Member

I feel a max crit chance of 25 or 30 would ve appropriate. But 95% of the players whining about it either have never used it or use exc/bc.

I applaud at you; Someone who can use the rival cannon of the sniper and not cry about it and hope for the advantage :)

7. Babablacksheep

Added to that The bonus crit from talent tree should be available end game.Trust me once speeder gets a tesla shield(MK6),It wont even bother them

Shadow Moon! and Ian like this.
  8. EyeOfDoom

EyeOfDoom Well-Known Member

Actually, I don't want it to be nerfed because unexpected sniper crits are the only things taking down mk6 speeders. Everything else is a just a joke. Tesla resistance is the biggest one of them as @American Marauder already mentioned.
    Mk6 speeder just does everything. It's tanky. It's hard to hit. It keeps people locked out for entire game. While also dishing out massive damage on other ships.
    After having some playtime in nightmare league. I'm gonna go as far as to say that unexpected 1500-2000 damage sniper crits are probably the only thing keeping them in check.

9. Babablacksheep

This is the exact thing i was looking for,Sniper is the only thing that hits those damned fast mk6.Very well said! Just like you i reached 3.6k recently so my view on the topic has changed a lot

10. Babablacksheep

I know it feels bad when the counter part of sniper gets nerfed indirectly.I would ask for some blasts tweakings,Like a good range (26) and a slight buff in projectile speed.

Mr. Chompers likes this.
  11. EyeOfDoom

Yeah, and they're not even super fast. They only run overboost and no nitro but with Tesla shield, they're just unbeatable. It's the random sniper crits that are doing any significant damage to them because when they decide to fight you, you can't even scratch them.

Babablacksheep likes this.
  12. American Marauder

American Marauder Well-Known Member

CEO of The Skins Factory
    Ridiculous.

13. A55A51N

A55A51N Well-Known Member

Student
    Ok, why?

14. TheAntiSnipe

Care to elaborate?

15. ViscountSniffit

While that’s an understandable point of view, I think that, in fairness, it’s a seperate issue. There is strong evidence that speeders are overpowered at the top, and could probably do with some rethinking (I say that as someone who is now working towards mk6).

However, two wrongs don’t make a right. If people want a hard counter for speeders, then I would suggest buffing something like the carronade to make it more useful. Sniper is already extremely useful for long range, and it dominates the game long before anyone meets a mk6.

16. Joey who

Joey who Well-Known Member

1. Because sniper is balanced.

2. The idea of making sniper into railgun is plain stupid.

I'm switching to blast cannons already, the sniper nerf won't affect me much. But seeing all these ideas are rants about it, it's hard to believe how far people will just to try to get the upper hand against an item they don't use.

Speeders want to be up close without being crit by snipers... Like the most OP ship in the game needs any buffs.

Blast Cannon users want to be tickled by 400 dmg (in a case where the shot doesn't hit a wave) while their blast cannons send out guranteed 800+ damage + fire dmg.

All the players complaining just because they want higher infamy. Spoil alert:
    Your infamy is not going to go up just because the item you don't use gets nerfed

17. TheAntiSnipe

I told ya before, my issue is that of game logic. Sniper rifles are NOT shotguns. A weapon as effective--oh, wait. You know exactly what I'm about to say. Give ONE good reason why close range crits shouldn't be nerfed.
    My reasons as to why they SHOULD be:
    1. Variety in gameplay: Shooters should use more excannons, and sniper cannon is just letting them get over the short range handicap below 3k to 2k infamy.
    2. Logic: In no game is there NOT a handicap to using a long range weapon. Battle Bay doesn't have scopes, so we need something to make a sniper cannon LESS effective at short range.

Don't want to get tortured to death by speeders? Equip an excannon, mate. Don't steal it's job below 2k. Also, I have a good argument as to why the sniper cannon is less played in Nightmare:

18. Babablacksheep

Concerns of all MK5s are understandable.
    Sniper is the consistent weapon from the very begning which is not the case for all good End game weapons...

I m not siding anyone,But it should be tweaked to by a good amount at start of the game,While not hurting end game scenario

Need to push down these talents to A good level(23+).They are available too early,Its The 50% increase in big crit hit causing problem for MK5 speeder which already have low HP and dont use tesla shield.I m admant about the fact that sniper is OP for mk5 speeder.

Make this weapon early game,Should develop with upgrades which are available too early.End game sniper will need some tweaks tho,45% crit chance is too good.Cap around 35-40% would be good.

And one last thing,crit should not be enhanced by burn IMG_6165.jpg IMG_6166.jpg IMG_6168.jpg

19. EyeOfDoom

I'd hardly call it a separate issue or sniper crits a bad thing as most of the complains are clearly coming from users of most overpowered ship in the bay.

20. ViscountSniffit

This is just ad hominem, which is a fallacious form of argument.

Just because someone holds a different opinion to you, doesn’t mean they are some self serving cheat, trying to gain an undue advantage. Trying to discredit any opposition by calling them names is just poisoning the well, and adds nothing to the discussion at hand.

The exact same argument can be made the other way. I could argue that anyone who doesn’t want sniper nerfed is just a self serving opportunist, who knows they’d lose infamy without their broken weapon. But that isn’t nice, fair or constructive.

Your argument is easily refuted by looking at the shear popularity of the sniper. If it were just us trying to get it nerfed for personal gain, then you wouldn’t expect the item to be any more popular than any other, but actually it’s by far the most popular weapon in the game, which is a strong indicator that the relative balance between items is off. It isn’t just us whining, it’s an objective fact that it is being overused.

Last edited: 12 Dec 2017