1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Fixers make the game worse

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by xxxBISMARCKxxx, 9 Oct 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xxxBISMARCKxxx

xxxBISMARCKxxx Well-Known Member

Most of the things in the game make some kind of sense. Even things like a Tesla shield, that is beyond current technology but we can understand how it works. But what is a repair pulse or a repair bolt? It makes no sense. It's magic and it doesn't fit the rest of the world. The Battle Bay world is like Mad Max with boats. Oh but then they decided to put a MMO healer boat in there. This only makes sense for one reason: the developers were trying to make a boat for the "waah but I always play a healer in every game" people.

So having patched on this class so that a small group of "always play healer" people would have a healer- even though it makes no sense, it's magic in an otherwise non-magical world- now of course we have the common problem of healer balance that many games have. The fixers had to be nerfed, then re-buffed, there are still lots of complaints about stars, you still see fixers higher infamy vs MK, and so on. Since the devs still refuse to implement 5v5 premades, this ends up causing frustration among players when the random matchmaking puts them with "too few" or "too many" fixers on their team. Again this is all because of some idea about "there must be a healer in this game for players that like to play healers."

But the only reason that you ever have too few healers on your team is when the other team has one. There's no such problem when neither team has healers. And most importantly, as it turns out the matches with no healers in them are better matches. The game is more free-moving and fluid. If you have a healer on your team, you're gimping your team if you don't stay in healer range because that's the healer's main contribution. So it's either gimp your team, or play a more static strategy with too much clustering. There is a totally different strategy when it's team with fixer vs. other team with fixer, as compared to when neither team has a fixer. The latter, when neither team has a fixer, is objectively more fun. It may sound arrogant to say, but you're simply wrong if you try to say that a match where people on each side are basically forced to cluster and lob range weapons is a better game experience. Maybe for the FIXER it is a great game experience as they are so engaged trying to heal people, since that's apparently what they're about (seems weird to me). But for most other people it's not. And that's why fixers should be removed from the game before it gets too much farther along. Most people don't main them, or play them significantly, and yet all fixers do is make the game worse for the majority of players by their very presence. They don't fit in with the game setting, they cause balance and matchmaking problems, and worst of all they make actual gameplay worse just by being there.

cgr3asy and The Otherguy like this.
  2. The Otherguy

The Otherguy Well-Known Member

Tech support
    I play speeder, so I don't mind a good fixer... But I do agree with what you said.

xxxBISMARCKxxx likes this.
  3. CaffeinatedChris

CaffeinatedChris MVP

No

Love,

A Fixer Main

4. JJf

JJf Member

You are wrong. There is more magic than just repair items. In real life there are not unlimited amount of tokens for cheaters.

The rest of the post is simply "buhuu, i am not good enough to swithc my playing style when needed so remove the things making the game too difficult for me ;________;"

5. Wishaal

Wishaal Well-Known Member

To everybody who plays fixer, I'm actually really happy when you guys are in my team.

And to every fixer out there, whenever you encounter Mr. Bismark on your team, make sure that you don't heal him at all. That will make him regret speaking that way about the important life saving boats.

6. Shadow Moon!

Shadow Moon! Well-Known Member

Maybe this guy just lost too many matches because opposing team had a fixer.

7. xxxBISMARCKxxx

xxxBISMARCKxxx Well-Known Member

Lol whatever, shillbot. Ok yeah fixers, punish my opinion by making the whole team lose. Good idea. Do it I dare you.

^ this is the caliber of people who disagree with me lol.

8. JJf

JJf Member

You get as smart answers as the original post. That's how things at forums.

9. ViscountSniffit

ViscountSniffit Well-Known Member

If you want a pseudo scientific explanation (i.e. not magic): the boats might have a ‘structural integrity field’ (ala Star Trek) that runs though the hull, strengthening it and keeping it intact.

This kind of makes ‘in game’ sense, because the boats in BB never show any visible signs of damage. They remain in perfect condition until they suddenly blow up. Which could be seen as the structural integrity field holding them together until it fails.

Fixer would therefore supply extra energy to reinforce the fields of friendly ships.

10. WhatdoItypehere

WhatdoItypehere New Member

I personally think Fixers are fine. Granted, I main Fixer so my opinion might be a lil bias, but still. In most games I usually play tank or healer, DPS for me gets boring fast. Fixer looked the most interesting, cause it gets access to all slots, so I chose that. I like playing Healer cause I feel like I'm contributing a lot to the match. Some people just really like to play the support role, and who can blame them? It's awesome supporting your team and leading them to success!
    Besides, most of the time a Fixer is only as strong as the team they are in.

11. Elothean

Elothean Active Member

the fixer heals w green nanobots lol

but i agree with your point w the gameplay

Battle Bay Scrub likes this.
  12. disorder

disorder Active Member

I Like fixer for a reason : it prevents fucking mortar spam to win without move...

13. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

Well, I like it. I'm a tiny bit of a star trek fan(dont have access to all of Star trek, only what I get to see at home with my parents). My opinion might be biased, lol.

ViscountSniffit likes this.
  14. Zangetsu

Zangetsu Well-Known Member

Lol a bad player pointing fingers at others for his inability to adapt to situations.

15. Kitterini

Kitterini Well-Known Member

I'm with you, Fixers totally ruin the realism. Unlike hamsterlike creatures sailing around in tiny boats packed with weapons :) Its also very realistic that I've died over 5000 times, yet my crew always survive and my items grow stronger.

Thread of the week!

16. Battle Bay Scrub

Battle Bay Scrub Member

So then let’s delete nearly every ship and weapon in the game and leave everyone with shooters and plain cannons?

17. Disguised

Disguised Well-Known Member

Only the standard cannon should remain.

Mr. Chompers and cgr3asy like this.
  18. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

That's too wierd. One of the dualities of gaming is that for every damage dealer, there needs to be a healer. Simple. And who said fixers are underplayed? I play fixer, so do many people. We're talking team variance, right? Tell me this, with an all mortar loadout(hypothetically), aren't you removing your ability to get in close? If nobody minds THAT, nobody should mind a fixer. That said, it's a game. NOTHING NEEDS TO MAKE SENSE! I MEAN, REALLY. Hamsters driving around in tiny boats. Bandages healing non-organic stuff(ships). The fact that all weapons look the same at any rarity. It shouldn't make sense! Like, at all!

A fixer, or any healer, has a place in ANY team. Any other character has only conditional use. Fixers are versatile. To remove them from the game is the height of scorn on the part of paladin mains.

19. FearsomeChicken

FearsomeChicken Well-Known Member

Best comment of this thread!

TheAntiSnipe and The Otherguy like this.
  20. Scourge Argaen

Scourge Argaen Well-Known Member

A Tesla Shield is technology but Repair Pulse & Repair Bolt is magic? Dont forget the voodoo witchary of the bandage... On a more serious note, I'm with Elothean - who's to say it's not nanotechnology that uses nanorobots to repair? If the game technology is advanced enough for a 'magical' shield then surely that is also plausible?

You've highlighted that the team set up changes the dynamic of the matches, surely that's a positive as more combinations can give more variant game play. I personally prefer that and not just because I prefer a fixer.

From the sounds of it, you've just had too many bad games with a fixer and want rid. If it was the other way around we'd have rid of all the ships, the amount of times I've seen DPS ships go off on their own and get nuked is absurd.

Ultimately, it's a case of hate the player not the game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.