1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Infamy manipulation spoils the fun for most

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by kylek33, 7 Apr 2017.

1. P0rthos

P0rthos Well-Known Member

It is interesting... the concept of infamy based on how much you contributed in match. That already kinda exists with star ratings.

Make 5 slots for + or - 25, 20, 15, 10, and 5.

Then infamy gain/loss stays zero sum, and it rewards the good guys more and punishes them less when mismatched (highly desirable and would make loosing while carrying a team of mk3 / mk4s much less painful...)

However, I'm sure this was already considered and thrown out for a reason smarter than I. ;)

Last edited: 17 Apr 2017
    TheAntiSnipe and mammoth1946 like this.
  2. Bennunator

Bennunator Moderator

Doing lots of damage doesn't always mean that you would've played well. For an example: if you stay back, away from your team, make lots of dmg that the enemy teams fixer outheals, it doesn't really help. BITTERSTEEL's post is a pretty good proof about that: https://forum.battlebay.net/threads/the-best-of-you.21/page-2#post-418

-Bennunator

Mr. Chompers and BITTERSTEEL like this.
  3. Bomby McBombface

Bomby McBombface Member

Director of Astronautical Engineering
    I would generally agree with this, except for the instances where a player stays at spawn playing with themself and contributing nothing, a player is afk, or someone does a solo suicide run into the red's spawn and dies out with little to no damage and putting the odds in favor of the red team.

In those instances, them getting an infamy boost is unfair as they never deserved it doing less than nothing to help the squad.

mammoth1946 likes this.
  4. Miika

Miika Game Lead

On a single battle level that is correct, however on the longer run over multiple battles things average out as you are the only constant thing in your own battles and nobody gets lucky every single time.

However, if we would start tweaking the formulate to make individual battles feel "more fair" then the system most likely would not be mathematically stable in the long run anymore, ruining it completely after a while.

Bomby McBombface likes this.
  5. Sk1llsaw

Sk1llsaw New Member

A matchmaking system based solely on rank which is achieved solely through wins and losses is broken before it's launched.. why aren't players awarded infamy based on personal performance? Who ever heard of a competative game where players were awarded the same amount of rank (+/- 24 or 23 ) based on wins and losses? Its hilarious to think about can't believe someone actually did it. Just stupid. Being stuck between 1400 and 1700 infamy for a month with no sign of ever crawling out of the hole does not make me want to spend money rather delete the game.
    If your system is based solely on wins and losses then let us que up with friends. Simple. Alot less complaining when you can't blame random people

Last edited: 18 Apr 2017
  6. WarCream

WarCream Well-Known Member

Why dont you devs give all of the players one star (atleast) Even if they lose the match I mean it is quiet hard to get one especially If you Are a low dmg player like me for ex. I find it hard to gain stars at my league because sometimes I match people Who has better equipments than mine and I lose. And if my team has better equipments we will win and I ended up getting No stars because I got the lowest dmg or died to early .

7. Miika

Miika Game Lead

If we would give everybody at least 1 star it means people could just AFK battles and earn them. That would increase the amount of AFKers which I guess nobody wants to see happening.

Epekka, SirojPr, ToddTHY and 2 others like this.
  8. HELLRAZOR

HELLRAZOR Well-Known Member

Well this now confuses me as the more devs or players with opposing views answer questions, then the more we go round in circles. So what determines if your a good player ? Killing all 5 by yourself ? So what your implying about
    causing damage isn't really a contribution, "if you stay back, away from your team, make lots of damage that the enemys team fixer out heals, it doesn't really help" ? Then their fixer is doing his job & you doing yours. YES ? So my question is "how would you know if anyone is a good player ?" Even if their team wins & a player does most damage, or a player doesn't contribute much, only waiting for the kill shots while hiding during the game, how does any of that then determine if the player battled correctly in your unorthodox system to profile a players ability where it is a team effort ?

9. Miika

Miika Game Lead

The reason why damage doesn't always mean you played well is that not every HP is equally important. If you have enemy shooter at 100 HP and defender at 10000 HP, and you keep damaging the defender instead of killing the shooter you are making much more damage but playing much worse. It is much more important to reduce the amount of opponents as quickly as possible.

10. Captain_Perry

Captain_Perry Active Member

@HELLRAZOR, sorry if I make you even more confused, but it's because there is not really a way (IN MY OPINION) to "determine if the player battled correctly to profile a players ability when it is a team effort", that's probably why the whole team usually gets around either +24 or -24, which is the system we use now. In addition to what Miika said, damage cannot determine your play.

kylek33 likes this.
  11. kylek33

kylek33 Member

I think reducing the infamy loss/gain per game might solve some problems. A +/- of 5 would prevent the rapid yo-yo effect some players experience which provides such a wide range of good and poor opponents. It would slow down seal clubbers and allow players to gain sufficient experience at a lower level before encountering players that beyond their ability to defeat. A broader player base would have the same effect, but the two combined would have an even greater effect

12. Kitterini

Kitterini Well-Known Member

Infamy works fine in theory.

To me the main issue is the reset to 3500, which constantly gives players better than 3500 easier games than their skills (+level and gear) justifies.

Ingame where top 100 has played for alot longer than the average and the tiny amount of players makes for alot of pointless matchups. Team vs team is usually ok, but mk6 vs mk4 is not fun for either side.
    For the mk6 its just a few easy kills you dispose of when it suits you and for the mk4 its the feeling that you arent really participating in half your games.

Two ideas to improve matchmaking (at 2300+):
    - Either remove or raise the reset point for 3500+ players.
    - Increase queue time so more nightmare players play eachother rather than having 2-3 easy prey thrown onto each team.

13. Felipowski

Felipowski New Member

Business Man
    Hi guys, after a long time playing and reading all this stuff.
    What I can say about this topic. I just played a match, (now really), against all players MK6 and infamy way up from mine. My team only one MK6.
    The biggest problem indeed it is not if vessels are mk4, 5 or 6. It is the weapons you carry on your boat. I lost my boat in this match in 2 shots cause the another players are in a higher level. The fun in this situation was gone.
    This game is over fantastic. I love playing all day long but when I see the upcoming enemies sometimes I say to myself (F#$%, it wont be this time).
    So, how can the system put my infamy (+-2350) against players that have level (+-4050). It is the same that I play with my 3 year kid (and yes, he has 3 years and has it own account and play it) that has infamy about 800. If I shoot boats in this low infamy wouldnt be fun at all.

14. kylek33

kylek33 Member

Yup, seal clubbing is no longer an issue. The game now pits the high levels vs the low levels because there aren't enough players left to arrange a fair fight. They solved this issue in the worst way possible.

15. Miika

Miika Game Lead

We agree. This is in our view also the biggest issue with infamy currently. There are reasons for the reset but it also causes some side effects after every reset which we are not fully happy with.

There has not been any change to the matchmaking in a while. Also there has not been any change to the amount of players recently either.

16. kylek33

kylek33 Member

There has not been any change to the matchmaking in a while. Also there has not been any change to the amount of players recently either.[/QUOTE]
    Thats not a good thing. A new game like this should be experiencing growth. But the total number of players isn't really the issue, it's the amount of time each player actually spends playing the game that I suspect has had a noticeable decline.

17. Felipowski

Felipowski New Member

Business Man
    Thats not a good thing. A new game like this should be experiencing growth. But the total number of players isn't really the issue, it's the amount of time each player actually spends playing the game that I suspect has had a noticeable decline.[/QUOTE]
    Like I had no job nowadays I play almost al day long. And that is why I do not put a cent in the game. I should ask Rovio to a job appliance. Hahahahah

18. mammoth1946

mammoth1946 Active Member

The game is more than a year now, i guess, other posible solution is to have a segregation of battle from master / ace / nightmare - so that we can avoid lost of players in the game.
    Also need to change the infamy ladder system that is more benefecial to the players.
    New players lost thier interest in the game cause of slow progress.( need to change that how the learning curve graph form)

Epekka and Felipowski like this.
  19. HELLRAZOR

HELLRAZOR Well-Known Member

I understand that but really any damage to the unfriendly team given by a player reduces their HP, so they must have a good strategy & good aim, like determining where a player might be & launch a torpedo then hit them, that's what i would call a good player even if they didn't win the match but it's team effort, so winning is a bonus & causing a lot of damage shouldn't be discredited while playing in a team match & that's where a single player in a team environment should gain more infamy. So is there no such thing as a good player, unless he takes out all ships by himself & wins ? because there always seems to be a discrepancy with the answers given. Your right with infamy being the main factor to select for an even match, but how you came to that infamy is a different story & how it's worked out needs looking at because different class ships & a players level is a huge contributing factor, meaning crew are upgraded, weapons are more powerful etc. I understand your policies, procedures & wanting to keep a balanced game so everyone wins without hurting anyone's feelings, but that can have a reverse effect while being a competitive game. I'm only level 27 but i want to battle with players of equal level, strength & not what their infamy is as I feel at times i have to carry my team, most at which are lower class ships.

Last edited: 20 Apr 2017
  20. mammoth1946

mammoth1946 Active Member

I 100% agree with you. im lvl 28 mk4 , sometimes going vs lvl 35 mk5/mk6 up players is quite depressing.

HELLRAZOR likes this.