1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

On the state of Fixer (high end)

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Kitterini, 24 Sep 2017.

1. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

I keep playing fixer, then switching.
    Pros: the gratitude after winning, the warm and fuzzy feeling after shooting a bolt from the other side of the map to the speeder who really needed it.

Cons: Last one left alive on defeat, WAAY too many shooters in the 1200s willing to focus fire me, the fixer, no defenders willing to take flak. And lastly, jeez, the rewards.

What I see is a morally satisfying ship to play, hindered by rewards and...wait for it...idiots who don't know that this ain't call of duty. No need to buff anything(except pulse, maybe?). Just make fixers more rewarded, it's such a fun ship to play!

Finally, this is very important.
    STAY ON POINT, YOU GUYS. NO NEED TO TALK ABOUT OTHER SHIPS HERE. THIS IS A FIXER CENTRIC DISCUSSION. LET'S KEEP IT THAT WAY!!!

2. Miika

Miika Game Lead

Your messages were removed because the update is not a balance patch and you were talking off topic. As you can see there was only one balancing change which was actually a fixer buff. All the rest were bug fixes. In that thread your post would have only stayed as a lone off topic rant. Here it has the space of actually leading into some constructive discussion. There is a good reason for having threads you know ;)

Miathan and Brizo like this.
  3. CaffeinatedChris

CaffeinatedChris MVP

Anything that encourages more duct tape use is detrimental to all decent Fixers ;)

behumble and Shadow Moon! like this.
  4. Ultrah

Ultrah Well-Known Member

Lol, there goes Piika again. I hope @Bennunator can comment on this, since the Speeder can only rely on selective commentating.
    @Sewah is enjoying that Duct Tape buff the most.

behumble likes this.
  5. Craigjnoble

Craigjnoble Well-Known Member

IMG_2059.PNG

I am hoping the fire contribution nerf will help fixers earn more stars.
    When you cancel out about 75% of the unfriendlies damage and nobody died yet you still only get 1 star.

6. Shadow Moon!

Shadow Moon! Well-Known Member

Merlin's beard that's so explained in various threads about contribution.

7. Craigjnoble

Craigjnoble Well-Known Member

I know about the contribution thing. I am mearly stating that a lot of the reasons the fixers don't get stars is usually they aren't frosting or firebombing (note I said usually). It is still an issue that affects people playing fixers is the lack of credit for the job we do and it's coupled with some of the other issues. It all adds up to why people don't play the class and reach a point where the quit or change class.

Last edited: 25 Sep 2017
  8. behumble

behumble Well-Known Member

OH WHAT Neeee Naaaawww i didnt know it was you haha.
    Great to see ya on the forums.

Sad because i used firebomb to get stars...

But fixers play longer games. thats just a fact, all around the board.
    Yet we dont get rewarded for spending that extra time, so its no good.

Last edited: 25 Sep 2017
  9. Crashedup

Crashedup Well-Known Member

@Kitterini maybe u should try a duct tape too. It's a great green item which allows you to stay up in a battle longer allowing you to heal ur team much more and thus better rewards. Take a hint with all that duct tape buffing that's a clear indirect buff that helps you and your team. I truly believe it's a must have item for mk5/ 6/7 fixer.
    And I know it can be pretty infuriating to do all the work as @Bunta mentioned but u can do some change in ur playstyle till Dev see it's time to make fixer rewards a little better at end game.

10. JJf

JJf Member

I answer a bit late, but I forgot to answer when you guys were talking about this. Thank you for a good thread!

I have a theory about popularity of the ships. It is quite simple but I believe have a clue. Basically, it's all about the nature of the teamwork. Fixer is a powerful ship and sometimes vital for a team which can use it. The problem of the fixer is that without the team it is useless. I mean, fixers role is most supportive compared to the other ships. Usually it's not enough if the fixer helps one or two ships, it must fix all the teammates to be useful. Otherwise a fixer in the team means only less firepower. Before the pulse nerf the best fixers played more offensive role. After the pulse nerf the fixer's role has been more supportive, but the support role works only if the team works together and the fixer is able to fix the whole team. With the random teams you can't get teams with good chemistry all the time. It leads to the situation we have now: half of the battles are awful for the fixer (or 7/10, 6/17 or whatever, haven't tried to calculate). So, it is easier to choose a ship which works better when playing solo.

The solution is speeder (or shooter) as we can see when taking a look to the top lists. Speeder can't win a battle alone and it needs a team, too. But it doesn't need all the others like fixer. Two good speeders together can win more than a half of the battles. I think the shooter is the second best option. If the team doesn't work, you can go solo, sneak to the back of the unfriends and deal that 1.5k damage sinking two critical unfriends. A fixer or defender can't (usually) do that. As long as we play with random teams the best solo ships will be the most popular ones. I don't mean you will lose all the battles when playing fixer and win everything with speeder. No, but if you win 50% with fixer and 53% with speeder, it makes a great difference at your infamy and might be enough to make the final push to the nightmare or top 50.

11. Shadow Moon!

Very well thought and written. Before pulse nerf fixers had options to play offensive or defensive depending on situation but after pulse nerf devs forced fixer to only be supportive and not offensive even though the situation demands, fixers have hide behind a shooter in 2v2. Previously fixers could stand shoulder to shoulder with team mates and help them win. I was so looking up to Hodges mark 6 type offensive fixer but sadly it can't happen now.

12. Miathan

Miathan Well-Known Member

Well written post. As a fixer I can confirm that the heavy reliance on teammates is indeed the main struggle. It's also the reason that a fixer always gets 0 stars if a game is lost. You need your teammates to do well, else fixing them doesn't make any difference. Sometimes I do wish I had chosen a different ship so that I could make a bigger difference by myself.

I am hoping the same thing. Less total contribution does mean more relative contribution for the fixer. Whether the difference is enough to get an extra star every now and then remains to be seen.

13. Battle Bay Scrub

Battle Bay Scrub Member

Or maybe the fixers that were using firebomb or napalm still end up getting the short end of the stick.

14. Zotah

Zotah Member

2295891F-C632-4452-A399-68E2425DF5C1.png
    Zero stars with 3 win, and without the Fixer it would have been a lost... I hope the coming release will fix the star system for the Fixer.

15. Shadow Moon!

Man 0 stars with 2 kills that is so much unfair.

16. Miathan

You dropped too much infamy and were flagged as infamy tanker... that's why your rewards (gold/sugar) were also lower. You can't get 0 stars for a win normally, not even as fixer.

17. Shadow Moon!

How did he get 1 star in 2 battles? Infamy tankers won't get any stars as far as I know.

18. Zotah

Zotah Member

What is this infamy tanker thing... I play every match the best I can, not my fault if the match making system is so stupid to make me drop 700 infamy...

19. Miathan

Because that was right after the turning point, his infamy was high enough again

20. Miathan

Everyone rises and falls in infamy, but there are limits to what you can lose under normal circumstances, i.e. while still trying to win. I am not certain, but I believe the limit is set to 800, meaning if you drop more than 800 below your maximum, you get countermeasures.