1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Rovio messes with RNG

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by xxxBISMARCKxxx, 28 Aug 2017.

1. xxxBISMARCKxxx

xxxBISMARCKxxx Well-Known Member

Evidence like the Rovio team member multiplying the number of items by a factor of 10 and incorrectly extrapolating incorrect math to arrive at a more pleasing result? Cool evidence, bro.

2. TheCrisco

TheCrisco Active Member

Or like every other person on the thread telling you they're experiencing standard random results? One person misunderstood your post and worked the math as such. Their status as a team member doesn't make them incapable of misunderstanding a statement, and your irrational attachment to one misunderstanding doesn't help your case.

3. Stelmo

Stelmo Well-Known Member

4. xxxBISMARCKxxx

I was actually going to thank you for replying and ask you your crew training levels.

Crisco, stop acting like nobody chimed in saying their experience matched mine. Or like there haven't been numerous threads indicating similar experiences. Alternatively, keep doing what you do. Whatever.

5. TheCrisco

TheCrisco Active Member

Stop acting like your one freak rng incident means there's some bonkers conspiracy behind the scenes. Your argument has no merit, is unsupported by data, and runs counter to polite and professional discussion. It would be one thing to ask for other data if you wanted to investigate the issue, but it's entirely another to make baseless accusations and cite only your personal experience (also known as anecdotal evidence) to back it up. The phenomenon you're experiencing has already been explained in depth to you, but you insist on covering your ears and shouting louder to insist you're right. It's poor form.

thunderhawk and Kitterini like this.
  6. xxxBISMARCKxxx

You're the one losing your cool. Perhaps these forums stir your emotions too much.

7. TheCrisco

TheCrisco Active Member

good talk. Enjoy the sweet foil hat.

8. xxxBISMARCKxxx

Aww. Are you sure you don't want to white knight this thread to the top of GD a few more times?

9. Stelmo

Stelmo Well-Known Member

Bhurt 26, Isak 27, Blastian 22. Brock just hit 10..
    I've also got a couple each of epic turbos, nitros and overboosts with Swift at 26.
    I have all necessary rare duplicates for Ms Buzzkill's gear at 23, also duplicates to take every rare cannon but standard(scrapped with all of the epics) and explosive (I could have had but I've scrapped a few, it's T4) to T5.
    I can't remember what healing stuff I've scrapped, but Feelix is at 9.
    Sinklair is at 21, T2 epic swift torp, 1 big and full rare big torp.

I have a lot more of what I've levelled, whether I want it or not.

10. xxxBISMARCKxxx

Since starting this thread- one star chest, one green quest chest. Result: three out of four items Tesla bolt. Lol. Two rare one uncommon.

Stelmo I know you said you hadn't got many shields but how about fire bomb?

11. Joey who

Joey who Well-Known Member

Brock 10? What ship do you use? Mk lvl, hp and lvl of shields equipped? (Or post a screenshot)

12. Miika

Miika Game Lead

I thought when you said “odds that out of a 10 box pull for 3900” that you opened 10x of those 3900 boxes, sorry. If you in fact opened just one then you don’t have any kind of statistically meaningful sample. It’s like throwing a dice once, getting 1 and claiming the dice to be weighted.

There was no incorrect extrapolation or incorrect math, just a misunderstanding of what you did. Not everything is a conspiracy you know.

retryW, thunderhawk, Ultrah and 2 others like this.
  13. Miathan

Miathan Well-Known Member

This is the problem. You're not out to find truth, you don't care. You just "choose" to believe that the system is rigged. I don't get why you even made this thread.

retryW and behumble like this.
  14. Cpt Obvious

Cpt Obvious Well-Known Member

It simply means that we humans are horrible at dealing with things like randomness. We think about something random as being uniform, but it isn't for small samples, and this throws us off - truly random doesn't feel random to us.
    You've probably listened to a randomized playlist sometimes and noticed that sometimes multiple songs from the same artist or album comes up in a row, or even the same song is repeated. Music players actually had to change their "RNG", to actually make it less random so that people feel it's more "random", because people kept submitting bug reports. Example: http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-31302312

Now, let's add another human phenomenon to the mix, our hard wired tendency to find causes and effects. We can't help but do it, it's what kept us alive since the beginning of our time (i.e. I ate a red berry yesterday, today I got sick, I must avoid red berries of that shape).

Add these two together - the false gut feeling of how random acts, and our keen (but overzealous) detection of cause and effect.. And boom! You got the cause of so many false conclusions.
    And this isn't just a problem for the layman, even scientists battle this on a daily basis, they have to keep each other in check, cause even they get this wrong all the time.

Truth is, in this case, neither me or you got enough samples to say anything of statistical significance at all about Rovio's item RNG. It's perfectly reasonable for you to experience what you experience without there being any foul play - and it's very likely that it will happen with a handful++ of players given how many we are.

Miathan and Kitterini like this.
  15. CheekyDevilGod

CheekyDevilGod Well-Known Member

Rng is not rigged, relax

I have several items I want and several items I don't want too.

The rng system SUCKS. NO mistake over that but no, it's not rigged, so chill

Jdm7 likes this.
  16. Stelmo

Stelmo Well-Known Member

I've not got any of those either man.

17. Stelmo

Stelmo Well-Known Member

Enforcer man, got no shields on it. I used to play shooter but it doesn't really work without a shield.

18. Mr squiqqle

Mr squiqqle Well-Known Member

Just for the other side of the argument. I had a t3 epic blasts cannon at global release. I waited and waited and waited for another duplicate so I could level it up. RNG gods kept giving me snipers, and all my talents were trained to blast cannon. So eventually I scrapped it because I needed the parts for my epic napalm that I decided to use instead, and started building a rare sniper Canon instead and changed all my talents. But I still haven't gotten that epic blast cannon duplicate that I would have liked... I used to think it is rigged but I got over it

19. xxxBISMARCKxxx

To be accurate, it's like throwing 10 35-sided dice, having 5 of them come up on the same number, thinking that's very odd, and realizing that all the other times the "dice" acted weird (see examples from original post) there was was something in common about the results.

Based on your statement that one player (really meaning 'some' players since others have posted here and elsewhere on the forum with similar experiences) isn't statistically significant, I'm left wondering why you even bothered replying to this thread or why you are on this forum at all. The number of people on the forum, after all, isn't statistically significant compared to the number of people who play the game which I'm sure must be above 100,000 based on the number of downloads of the app and assuming that only a percentage of them stick around. It's rather odd because it's almost like you can't decide whether or not you care about people's perception of your app. People are a group, people are statistically insignificant individuals, oh the conundrum.

At any rate, for all you people saying that individual results mean nothing compared to the big pool of data which Rovio has and of course isn't releasing, who make all these arguments like all results will happen over time and so on- here in the United States we have an organization called the Securities Exchange Commission which uses statistical analysis alone to end up putting people in jail for insider trading. Basically the idea is that, there's a point where luck can explain your luck, and a point where it isn't reasonable to assume it's luck anymore no matter what the person says, because of course people often lie when it comes to money. Most other advanced economies have similar organizations. So I tend to think that real life tells us that when we see extreme results in the context of economic benefit, even at an individual level, it can be a bit naive to take a random chance explanation at face value.

Did my theorizing about weighted RNG predict future results? In my case it has so far. As I noted in my last post, 3 out of the 4 items I received since making the original post were items for the underleveled Buzzkill tree. Does Rovio have an economic interest in increasing grind factor? I've mentioned it several times, nobody would deny it. And so.

Last edited: 29 Aug 2017
  20. BasedCarpen

BasedCarpen Well-Known Member

So many logical fallacies and false equivalencies, here you go youtried2_original.jpg