1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Ace 1- nightmare struck

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by behumble, 26 Aug 2017.

1. monobrow

monobrow Well-Known Member

it is clear that either Rovio doesn't or the people making the decisions dont.

Vote with your time and money, only way to get the message across

Zangetsu likes this.
  2. behumble

behumble Well-Known Member

I dont know if 3200 infamy is enough to experience what you guys are with the legendary players, but im not.
    Just checked through my last 20 battles and only 3 had legendary players, others were properly matched around my infamy.

It may be that I battle during more popular times, or the problem isnt as big as you think. (although i feel this is a very unpopular opinion....)

Either way it definitely sucks to be completely crushed by one nightmare player, or vice versa. Id actually like to hear input from a nightmare league player on how they feel bout these match ups. Probably just as frustrating for them, like Miika said, only once in a week he will get a full on nightmare league match. That is way worse than us occasionally getting them in our match ups.
    Just think the game needs less players at the bottom, and more at the top :)

3. Miika

Miika Game Lead

Pretty much yes.

I could have used cats and dogs, or aliens and cowboys or any other two distinct groups which clearly shows that if the other group does not have enough people then any extra waiting does not help. I chose to use family because it is the most familiar concept to most people.

Unfortunately it doesn't change anything. Improving progression would actually spread the top even further because they would be also progressing faster.

4. monobrow

I found you "start" to get matched around 3200, but its obvious from 3500 or so that you are matched with "everyone" online in both ace1 and nightmare.

I had hella fun getting to ace1, then it just went sour. As a support role, you may have a different experience, but as dps, against 14k+ Defenders with max weapons or other speeders with double your HP and double damage, it is not "fun". At best its a lottery.

What it comes down to is the luck of the draw, if you get the skilled players, orpheus etc, then yay. If not, and you get the whales who have little skill but big wallets, its not a lot of fun. Especially all they do is abuse you after the game, check out VIP chat, thats pretty much how it goes.

Rovio have made thier choice, seal clubbing is fine for 3500+, as long as the whales get their quick games and keep spending then everything is awesome.

Miss-B and Rock'N'Rolla like this.
  5. Zangetsu

Zangetsu Well-Known Member

How much more can top players progress ahead when a lot on the top already have maxed out epics already? Wallet warriors will still have the advantage with their legendaries. These people will or have hit the cap which then just becomes a matter of skill to get them in higher infamy. Do you think people enjoy being matched with extremely gear disparity because there isn't enough people at the top? Simply improve accessibility.
    • Faster progression closes the gap for the skilled but not as whale type players if they have more access to epic weaponry, better captain levels or even easier way to level up their gear (gold deficit issue).
    • Faster progression means more pool for nightmare players so eventually matchmaking is big enough on its own.
    • Faster progression increases diversity, allows player to choose multiple ships/play styles.
    • Faster progression rewards people for the amount of effort required to play this game otherwise it becomes stale
    I'm not saying make it fast enough so people are instantly in nightmare but definitely not at it's current state. I'll have to disagree on the issue that the top will somehow be even further ahead with their already maxed out weaponry. I'm simply suggesting helping with catch up for the newer players or even vets who aren't as heavy spenders.

Miss-B, behumble and monobrow like this.
  6. Miika

Miika Game Lead

If you suggest something feasible we can discuss about the idea how to improve the situation.

That is just how it goes in practice. Progression follows normal distribution very closely, and if the top end is not severely capped. Currently no player has yet been able to max out their fit so making progression faster would just help spreading the player base even more.

The distribution of progression would be different if the maximum cap would be low and somewhere around lets say T3 rare. But even then with everybody playing with similar gear the leaderboard top would still look exactly like now, a long thin tail. Just look at professional sports. Everybody plays with the same football but the best of the best in the world are still scarce and in totally in their own league. You can't escape the normal distribution.

retryW and Miathan like this.
  7. monobrow

Ok so...

1. Improve progression (remove rng, improve shop, reduce prices, whatever)

Your counter to this though is it won't make any difference because the big spenders will maintain the gap as it will just push the big spenders closer to t5 legends, right?

Well apart from the chargeback problems this will give you, I disagree.

But without access to the data I won't bother explaining it, but I'd like to know if you have a data scientist on your team? If not, please get one.

2. Increase queue time for nightmare

This is of course possible, you just don't want to do it. I don't know how your algorithm works but I'd bet my mortgage an increase to wait times for ace 1 players will be very well received if it means they can play +-800 points and not have to face the pros or whales.

3. Something else
    Redo MM altogether, make it gear based, something like World Of Warcraft gearscore based. There are so many wallet warriors around now I'd bet it may even speed up queues.

Sure, the really bad ones would get slaughtered but if they are geared as pros, then should face pros, no?

4, Change league structure / rewards

Why should someone at 3800 in ace 1 (me!) get way worse rewards than someone who wins ace2 with 3100?

Get your team to work on ideas on that too. 2 weeks playing ace1 for a single epic piece is frankly, insulting.

8. Miika

Miika Game Lead

No, my counter to this is that even games which does not have any kind of progression still has similar normal distribution on their MMR. You can't remove that by adjusting the progression. The top will always be the top and the top will always be thin.

We have tested this several times and had to dial it back immediately when the top players have gotten 1h+ waiting times. Until they exit the queue causing catastrophic failure in queue times because you can't expect people to wait indefinitely.

We have chosen MMR based matchmaking instead of gear based because:
    1. We want everybody to have an equal change to play and enjoy the game, not only good players. Now if you are a bad player you just play on lower rank but you still get to win games.
    2. Defining a "gear score" which would be unambiguous, well balanced and universally accepted to a progression game as multidimensional as Battle Bay is impossible. No matter what we'd try, people would then just complain that "Game things my gear is better than X but it's not!" and they would most probably be right.

This is entirely off topic to matchmaking. Let's not make already a difficult topic more difficult.

retryW, TheRedSpeeder and Miathan like this.
  9. Bunta

Bunta Well-Known Member

I have to agree with Miika on that one.
    Although it sucks sometimes to get terrible matchmaking, it's not that bad when you think about it. Maybe gives a bit more of a total infamy for those reaching 5000+ infamy. I may be wrong on that though.
    But the way it is, is "fine" enough. You win some, you lose some.

I do have to agree about the RNG for weapons. It is terrible (in my experience) ! Always getting mortars, months after months is not good for my "fengshui" lol.

Miss-B and behumble like this.
  10. Zombie

Zombie Active Member

just check global rankings lol there are at least 50 active nightmares, i am quite sure i've seen over 20 different nightmare players in my games, make the same ones active at the same moment of the day cycle in mixed teams between themselves over and over lol that's not hard
    if ace players do not get those nightmare players trust me they will climb a lot easier and fill nightmare league shortly, but this way we get bad score bad rewards and the most frustrating even if you put all yourself into the battle, aces players have no control on the outcome of such a matchup, they perform good they still have a lesser impact on the fight, they perform bad they still would've had a lesser impact if they have survived, so it doesnt matter.
    I'd say you should try cap 2.8k - 3.8k purples, 3.8k+ yellows
    You will make the most of the playerbase happy.
    see @Bunta only nightmare players agree on this, it's good for you because your explo 2hits me as well as many of the mk5s, call it fair

monobrow likes this.
  11. Bunta

Bunta Well-Known Member

How can you make active those 50 players at the same time ?
    Between different time zones, people working, etc... it's impossible.

12. Zombie

Zombie Active Member

you need 10, i just finished to do some battles i am quite sure i have seen at least 15-20 diff nightmares active at the moment

13. Bunta

Bunta Well-Known Member

Now yes. But it can't be said the same for tomorrow.
    And facing the same opponents, over and over and over. Come on. =)

The Otherguy likes this.
  14. monobrow

I understand that the top / elite will always be thin, but surely by increasing progression you add to the pool beneath the top that increases the MM experience for that group. I think i am the perfect example of that..

Im not good enough / geared enough to fight the elite, yet i slaughter the early 3ks and get good, interesting matches with people in the 3.5 - 4k range so surely by improving progresssion (for free to play as an example) there will be more people in that range, which means more people in my demographic which gives a better experience.

The more skilled will always be above me and so will the uber geared, but right now, to get to my gear level you HAVE to spend at least 500-1000 which not many are willing or able to do. Make it possible for F2P to get to my gear level And I will have a bigger pool to play with. Right now all but the hardcore f2p are quitting once they realise they will never compete in 2k+ without years of waiting for captain levels.

I really dont understand why you cant see that, please can you provide some solid proof / stats to demonstrate it. Maybe i just dont get it, but it appears plenty of other people dont get it either.

Make the gap smaller between the top and bottom. Fill the middle, elite and wallets still progress, the middle benefits.

Zangetsu likes this.
  15. Joey who

Joey who Well-Known Member

This is the reason LOTS do not buy pearls. And the same reason all I have ever bought was VIP which even that I stopped renewing. RNG needs to be made a little less RNG. Like maybe lower prices of 10x packs to a REASONABLE price: 2500 ($20 USD) and make epics cost 2000 aswell (a bit offtopic but who pays 3k for an epic? Lol). So then when we get shit we don't like we got more tries. Not all our money wasted on 1 box we didn't get anything good out of, who wants to spend any more after that?

Not to mention after spending roughly $500USD there's always the chance of:
    1urw30.gif

Edit: Made reasonable a reasonable size, reasonably

Last edited: 26 Aug 2017
    behumble likes this.
  16. CheekyDevilGod

CheekyDevilGod Well-Known Member

EVERYBODY STAY CALM AND PLAY WAR ROBOTS LOL

SharkTank and The Otherguy like this.
  17. CheekyDevilGod

@Miika see this is why we need a hide infamy thing. If We could stop watching it then we could stop caring about it thereby stop giving a damn about the occasional bad match ups and nobody would be complaining so much.

A small thing that can make being big differences. You really must consider it.

The Otherguy likes this.
  18. CheekyDevilGod

Lucky bish, that's not some lame legendary carronade or mine, that's a fudging legendary ballpark mortar.

Get all Sinclair and Mortimer area dmg perks, upgrade that bish and spam it like hell, you are not qualified to talk of bad luck anymore.

19. Bunta

Bunta Well-Known Member

Oh man, you have no idea how much mortars I've got ! I can't count anymore.
    Now whenever I have 10 leg pieces and create the weapon, I always think "great, another mortar" and what do you know, another one !! :( LOL
    I've pretty much abandoned the legendary weapons scene just for that.

Joey who and Shadow Moon! like this.
  20. aKifer

aKifer Active Member

Dunno the algorythm, but my feeling is that the matchmaking considers 100 infamy difference equally worth at all levels.

E.g. i have seen often matches like this: 1x4000 and 4x3500 versus 1x4700, 3 x 3500, 1x2800.

Paradoxically when I am at my lowest 3000 I get most often matched with the top players, as if I was their handicap.