1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Why fixers should use frost blaster

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Joey who, 15 Aug 2017.

1. Joey who

Joey who Well-Known Member

You get really nice rewards and it really helps your team land far range shots with weapons that have slow travel speeds. Such as torpedoes, flare guns, mortars, explosive cannons and more. Also helps your team land shots on those annoying speeders!

Note: I am barely starting to try out the fixer, I do not claim to be good at it but this has worked for me!
    Screenshot_2017-08-14-21-46-22.png Screenshot_2017-08-14-17-35-26.png Screenshot_2017-08-14-16-34-49.png Screenshot_2017-08-14-15-47-50.png

2. Bug

Bug New Member

You are a worthless fixer not worthy of giving advise. First off you carry duct tape, second you don't do any healing and frankly I believe that the only heals points you provide are to yourself while you run around pretending you're a shooter.

Apparently you missed the memo on what a fixer does. "Shaking my head in disbelief"

3. retryW

retryW Well-Known Member

Uhh I agree that he clearly focuses on getting stars over healing his team,

HOWEVER running duct tape is VERY viable, and a lot of high level players run it too, because staying alive longer means healing your team longer.

4. aKifer

aKifer Active Member

Arguably you don't need dutch tape untill you hit 3000. I had no problems staying alive until then. And even now, my main problems are speeders targeting from behind and I doubt dutch tape would help me as much as the box helps me and my mates.

I am really looking forward to have enough base speed to run the bolt though. As it is, without OB I am the slowest of the bunch and I feel useless.

But yeah, frost gets you stars.

5. Zangetsu

Zangetsu Well-Known Member

Frankly, your current setup is extremely appalling. I would think from all your time here you'd know the basics at least. Also, those kind of item levels aren't suitable for that infamy, you're a liability to the team so I wouldn't be surprised if people thought you were a low key infamy dropper. I wouldn't be happy if you showed up in my team with that setup tbh.

Anywho, to be helpful to a potential new fixer my current thoughts:
    Your priorities are mixed up it seems, as a fixer you have to take a support perspective; your team comes first. Images show how very little heals you have, while heavily prioritising damage with that torpedo. Remember, you're not a shooter, you'll never be able to output any damage worth sacrificing a fellow shooter that you could have healed as a fixer. Well, at least until you start getting 2 weapon slots.

Regarding your loadout:
    • Torpedo is good, support and long range keeps you away from enemy as you should be. If you want stars, just use a fire bomb honestly.
    • Frost blaster might help contribute your stars but I'd recommend Overboost in the end. It's invaluable for escaping and quickly reaching team mates for heals, although some fixers use a Tesla Bolt if they feel fast enough and works pretty well.
    • Heal item levels too low for that range; level it up asap. I don't even want to get started on that Duct Tape...you effectively cut out another source of heal for your team mates just for yourself. If you need healing, learn how to throw a box. If you really insist, wait until MK5 at least so you can have another healing item but I'd still be against it in favour of the box/bolt
    • Turbo is good but that bandage, how much self healing did you plan for yourself lol. Put on a shield instead.
    Again, fixers are primarily support so remember that when trying it out.

6. CheekyDevilGod

CheekyDevilGod Well-Known Member

Duct tape fixers playing offensive is an actual play style I heard.

Undoubtly frowned upon yes but never the less it is an actual style and I don't think we should flame players for using it.

If we wanna flame somebody, flame rovio for giving us the duct tape.

As for you @Joeyaa, if you are going to run a self healing offensive fixer, lose the box and focus on all duct tapes and bandages.

You'll be like a defender, except less hp, more speed, agility and turret agility and more unlikable. When you reach mk5, you can get a blast, explosive and tesla bolt combo and be a better defender than defender lol.

Also, you can use turbo, rudder instead of bandages and play it like an assassin speeder, A speeder with speed, agility AND tons of self heal, I'd totally wanna try that out (Make sure the turbo and rudder are like really high levels though, like tier 5 rares or tier 4 epics)

Last edited: 15 Aug 2017
    Shadow Moon! likes this.
  7. Zeus

Zeus Developer

QA Lead
    Let's be civil towards other players. He is here giving advice from his point of view, and calling him a "bad fixer" or similar does nothing positive for the discussion. If this is working for him, let him share it. If you think there are better setups for a fixer, feel free to share them too and expand on it without using an extremely negative tone.

8. Miathan

Miathan Well-Known Member

It's not viable on any fixer that has only 2 green slots... don't even think about duct tape before mk5

As for the topic:

I've seen high level fixers with frost blaster before (I saw @Bennunator doing well with it in a video somewhere I think), but below 3k infamy, definitely go with overboost. You can't heal anyone if you can't reach them, and you can't reach them if you can't move faster than them. Perfect battles rarely happen. Teammates will spread out, and sometimes damaged teammates will move away from you. Not being able to get to them when you're the only fixer can cost you the match.

Yes, frost blaster may give you more stars from freeze contribution. But being less effective for personal gain isn't really a nice thing to do, and your infamy will reflect it.

battlebaymembers and Zangetsu like this.
  9. Babablacksheep

Babablacksheep Well-Known Member

Even tho the setup of fixer if good i don't recommend frost blaster, when you fast boats in your team you need to run around fixing them
    AND if you wanna slow down sneaking speeders use a carronade i guess.Duct tape if i m not wrong is only used by mk6 fixers with double pulse. I personally hate duct tape users (no hatred directed towards you tho) :)

10. SCOOTY PUFF Jr

SCOOTY PUFF Jr Active Member

I've been using a frost blaster for about two weeks now, I found the OB wasn't enough since it's nerf and I am able to get to the team fast enough. Now saying this I don't recommend everyone use it, I have a MK5 fixer and play around 3.5-3.8 infamy range where the frost helps more than my OB that was useless

Joey who likes this.
  11. Joey who

I am using duct tape because all my healing items are low, even had to buy the uncommon duct tape to fill the green slots. I was dying very fast when I tried bolt and an uncommon box wasn't doing much so I went with tape. Maybe question someone before you just attack them like that? Do you think I would use a tier 1 uncommon item because I wanted to?

12. Littl3-R3d

Littl3-R3d Active Member

If duct tape is keeping you at that infamy then keep it up I wish I was up there

battlebaymembers likes this.
  13. CaffeinatedChris

CaffeinatedChris MVP

I remember that first game. I kept landing crits on GordonRamsey and pumping heals into the defenders, but for some reason neither one of our speeders bothered to dash in and shave off the last 200hp or so from him so he'd quit raining literal hellfire on us.

If you're genuine about being a Fixer, then get those green numbers up. Learn to use the box, including timing a toss to yourself. Ignore the stars.

battlebaymembers likes this.
  14. Joey who

The whole point of this thread is a solution to all the threads you see that people make about fixers not getting the rewards they deserve. This was a way to get more stars that has worked for me. I'm working on fixer right now before I take it into mk5. Planning on using double pulse once I get some decent leveled repair pulses :)

15. CaffeinatedChris

CaffeinatedChris MVP

Save up and buy a Rare Bolt/Box right now would be my advice. I tried a bit of Double Pulse and it didn't feel anywhere near as effective as the Pulse/Bolt/Box combo. It requires more micro compared to "just smash that green box when you're near teammates" but it pays off when you can send a healbolt across the map and +500 a teammate on the brink of death.

And frankly unless there's going to be a way to get more Rare or class-specific goodies, Star Crates are just free Common/Uncommon parts to me 99% of the time.

16. Joey who

Maybe I'll upgrade to mk5 one I get some rare bolts because it will take a long time to find 5 more repair pulses. I'll try out pulse bolt tape

CaffeinatedChris likes this.
  17. Hellcat17

Hellcat17 New Member

Can you guys just undo the need on the repair pulse? Also take duct tape out of the game and allow those who own it to trade it for a green item if the same level.

18. Joey who

Explain why. I'd love to hear

19. battlebaymembers

battlebaymembers New Member

This FIXERS made my day , hahahaha . . :D:D:D