1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Someone who spent thousands - why?

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by SharkTank, 9 Aug 2017.

1. SharkTank

SharkTank Active Member

This is not an anti-pay-to-win post, nor do I begrudge those who spend money on mobile games. I would spend a lot of money on games if I had it.

But can someone who has spent thousands to get legendaries explain to me the thought process behind it? At the end of the day, you don't really win any more than you would have without spending the money. Over time, you will win about 50% of your games... so what's the point?

Is it simply to get to the top of the 50/50 pyramid first? Is it simply because you get annoyed with waiting on upgrades? Something else?

Ultrah likes this.
  2. Joey who

Joey who Well-Known Member

They have lots of money. Why not spend it on something they spend most of their time on to help them enjoy it even more

3. Dfer3nt

Dfer3nt Member

Nice profile pic :)

Joey who likes this.
  4. Ultrah

Ultrah Well-Known Member

I'd also like to know.

Sure you have the money, but we're talking about real life currency.

Like, use it towards buying a car or something.

ThatOnion likes this.
  5. Captain Gilligan

Captain Gilligan Well-Known Member

Freelance Motion Designer
    I haven't spent thousands on this game but I have spent more than $500 CAD (which is like $3 USD :p). My main reason behind it was because I really enjoyed the game and felt like I was part of something big as the game didn't have it's global launch yet.
    I agree with @Joeyaa in that I spend money on things I spend most of my time on. (Ex: I made a custom computer for my editing/designing hobbies). Initially I was kicking myself in the leg for spending so much on a mobile game. But seeing as I had spent hundreds of hours and would continue to spend hundreds of hours of my time on this game I think it's somewhat justified. As for the big big spenders I have no idea, But I imagine they have the job (or something similar) to justify their spending too.
    As for what @SharkTank said about everything ending in a 50/50 I want to give my 2 cents...
    It only takes 160-170 games to get from 0 infamy to Nightmare leauge. When you compare that to some players having over 10k battles it always seems like it seems out at 50/50. But that isn't the case entirely. If you have beast weapons, and good experience, you will rise the ranking INCREDIBLY quickly. Once a player reaches high infamy levels then they finally run into players with the same exp and weapons as them. But until then, their progress mould be MUCH higher than 50%.

Last edited: 9 Aug 2017
    behumble likes this.
  6. Recent

Recent New Member

If they can spend a few thousand bucks in this game, chances are they probabaly have a fleet of cars already. The best way to answer this question is one word, proportion. For example, If you have a thousand bucks in your bank account with a weekly income of $50, taking out $100 and using it on a virtual game would seem rediculous, however if you have 100 million dollars in the bank with a weekly income of 50k, spending $100 on a game doesn't seem too far stretched. A more complex way to see this issue is through the balance of money and time. Often people with more money/ higher positioned jobs generally spend more time on their work, therefore less times on a mobile game and as a result they would often spend money to skip through the endless grind. Whereas people with less money generally have more time (as they might be doing part time work or work that requires less commitment and overtime) in which they can use to grind the game and spend less on it.

Same occurs in life too ahah

7. monobrow

monobrow Well-Known Member

Its entertainment.

Movies, Bars, Restuarants, Computer games, Clothes, jewellry. It all costs.

I also think that society is very much about immediate gain these days, people dont want to wait and are willing to pay for stuff now.

8. Spongeboat

Spongeboat Well-Known Member

Some people are just filthy rich and don't give a damn. People who spend thousands on mobile games probably make millions or at least hundred of thousands per month.
    Might look ridiculous for us poor freemium players but for some people $1000 is just a spare change.

9. - Oskar -

- Oskar - Well-Known Member

Hi, I'm already a little old compared to most players, I'm over forty, and I've played since childhood to consoles since the first came out, for me it's one of my favorite hobbies. I am fortunate to have a good economy, which I have earned, and I continue to do so. Before I had many consoles and games, I currently play a few games, like this one or clash royal, and I invest everything I used to spend in many games before, in two or three now, which I love to play in my free time. I pay first because I can afford it, and I have the things I need important as well as those around me. So as I love to play, I like better weapons, I like to go a little faster ... I'm old ... and because I understand that these games evolve if they have income. Better developers, servers, and the game is alive years instead of staying apart in two days ... For me the rare thing is people who do not want to pay anything, they love the game are thousand hours in it, in their forums, in the chat ... but it does not seem right to pay anything. And they expect the game to improve without stopping. Has no sense. If we look at clash royal the reason it is so good is the great amount of money that generates, and that who created it does not want it to stop generating and players do not want to stop playing. And I really like battle bay much more now.
    Be sure that the people who spend more money than the average is because they simply earn more than the average and spend more on their hobbies, as on anything else in life. Does more sense make a car with a giant aleron and super loudspeakers and lights from below? No, it's a car, but someone loves it.
    I really respect the players who can not spend money on this and still are great players, what bothers me is the people who by system do not want to spend anything on something that uses thousands of hours and makes them happy. And on top they complain about someone spending.
    If you had lots of money would you spend on the game?

10. SharkTank

SharkTank Active Member

Thanks for the honest replies. I certainly get the notion that if you have the money, enjoy the game, and spend hours at it, then why not?

But I guess my point is that spending money on this game doesn't actually get you anything. It gets you to the "top" leagues faster, but you won't win any less or more by doing that over time. It just means you're now going against others who have either spent a ton of money like you or have played this game a ton.

You might win 10 in a row getting to nightmare. And then you'll promptly lose 10 in a row like you do in any other league.

If you truly play that much and enjoy the game, why is it more enjoyable when you're at 4K+ infamy v 2k infamy? It's the same game. Same W/L ratio. The games last just as long. Etc... I don't get it.

11. Kraptastic

Kraptastic Active Member

Sales
    I agree with what you are saying. If you get better weapons you will eventually catch up to people with as good of weapons, or better defense. The game balances itself out in that way. Thus, giving a very similar gameplay throughout. But, if you think of the excitement you get when opening those little blue chests you may be closer to understanding why people spend money.

12. Pewpewdie

Pewpewdie Member

I just wanted the biggest torpedoe!

Plus if i dont spend it my gf will I have a serious car addiction as well IMG_0468.JPG

Excism and Ultrah like this.
  13. Excism

Excism Well-Known Member

14. WarCream

WarCream Well-Known Member

Does the signal lights on BMW cars work?

Wishaal and Spongeboat like this.
  15. P0rthos

P0rthos Well-Known Member

That's a high class grill.
    You could cook a whole hot dog in that grill!

Bradley Thorinsson and retryW like this.
  16. retryW

retryW Well-Known Member

@Pewpewdie what do you do for a living mate ?

17. Excism

Excism Well-Known Member

Two even!

18. SharkTank

SharkTank Active Member

I guess. Just seems like a silly reason to spend thousands of dollars. But I guess that's the difference between people who can spend thousands of dollars on a mobile game and not even notice it in their bank accounts and people like me who make a good living, but who spends thousands of dollars on a new couch or TV :)

19. Captain Gilligan

Captain Gilligan Well-Known Member

Freelance Motion Designer
    If I was given the amount of money I spent on this game rn. I could make a nice new emulator PC...