1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Shield Defense Perk can HP

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Darkmere, 28 Jul 2017.

1. Darkmere

Darkmere New Member

What does the shield defense perk Do? What is better 5+ defense or 50 HP?

Also, is speed better than HP/Shield? Trying to decide if going from .88 speed to 1.17 speed is better than 480 HP, that's 1 extra hit for the speed reduction, on fence.

2. Stelmo

Stelmo Well-Known Member

A +5 defence perk will take 5 damage off every hit you take, so you'd have to take 11 hits before it's better than 50 hp.
    I'm pretty sure it's unanimous that hp perks are better for shields right now.

I think speed is probably of more value than another shield, especially with the huge amount of mortars flying around in the earlier game. My turbo saves me a lot more than 500 hp would anyway:)

3. Helius Maximus

Helius Maximus Active Member

PM
    It depends on how many defense perks you have in your shield. If you have a rare shield with 3 rare defense perks you have 21 points of damage taken for every shot. Of course, if you have 3 rare shield hp perks that is 300 points, therefore hp perks are better.

In my case, my big shield is equiped with defense perks while my standard shield have hp perks, but if I had more hp perks, I definitely would ditch the defense ones.

4. Stelmo

Stelmo Well-Known Member

5. P0rthos

P0rthos Well-Known Member

defense perks are 100% pointless against anything other than carronade right now.

I'm lobbying for them to be changed to also give you defense against stun and frost... like reducing the effect time of being stunned and frozen. Then they'd actually be interesting. Right now though... you are always better off using an HP perk instead of a Defense perk if you can get one.

6. Helius Maximus

Helius Maximus Active Member

PM
    For slow ships is a must! And for sure you need it more than HP, you need to get away fast from red targets. Also you need it when you charge against the unfriends, if you are slow then you can take so much with your HP, but you will be killed quickly. The key is to be able to get away the fastest you can.

P0rthos and Stelmo like this.
  7. Shooter@Bay

Shooter@Bay Active Member

I think, for defenders defense perks are best.
    But what about shooters, which perk should they use?
    In how many shots, a shooter may die (though this depends on the type of shots, but still on average like blast cannons, sniper cannons, etc.)?

8. Wishaal

Wishaal Well-Known Member

As a shooter, always use 1 turbo, and use the remaining blue slots for shields with hp perks.

as a shooter you'll need all the hp you can get because you don't have yellow slots. As Stelmo already said, you'll need to take 11 hits before the defense perks will compensate the hp perks. However, you'll be long dead before the eleventh hit lol.

9. Blood Raven

Blood Raven Well-Known Member

Software Developer
    Definitely the health perks are better. Defence perks are nearly useless in my opinion, the damage is ridicously high in the higher infamy games and the amount protected is negligible.
    If you take health perks, atleast you get some extra health in hand and with a fixer tagging along, you'll recover more than you could if you had replaced them for defence perks.
    Second part, i'd prefer speed as you can always dodge more if you have good speed than getting all shields and running into attacks.

USS_ironsides likes this.
  10. Joey who

Joey who Well-Known Member

Not 100% useless. For example. In higher leagues if your defense is at 150, taking a sniper crit already saves you from taking 375 less damage from 1 sniper shot. And snipers are very common and crit a lot in high levels.

Just my in-take on this. I don't find them 100% useless but I'd go with more hp aswell.

11. Shooter@Bay

For alone, HP sounds good.
    But, if fixer is nearby, then I think defense points are better as we take a lot of shots.
    Defense points are very good for missile launchers, though only skillful players use it.

After turbo and big shield, what should be third blue slot: turbo or bandage?

12. Shooter@Bay

I couldn't understand, defense points of 150 saving 375. How much total damage are you taking for this crit sniper shot?

13. retryW

retryW Well-Known Member

Uhhh why would it stop 375 damage ? It stops 1dmg per defence point. So 150 would save you from 150, correct?

14. CheekyDevilGod

CheekyDevilGod Well-Known Member

150 defense would take out 150 base dmg from each weapon per hit. When a weapon crits, defense doesn't cancel dmg from the crit dmg done but base dmg.

I believe defense has the same effect on torp, mortar, dmg during frost and burn crit dmg too.

15. Miathan

Miathan Well-Known Member

I'd just like to point out that this argument is false. The more you get healed, the more the balance shifts in favor of defence perks (because with a lot of healing you can take more hits, therefore defence reduces more damage)

retryW likes this.
  16. Kitterini

Kitterini Well-Known Member

For defenders with a fixer then perhaps, for everyone else health is what you want (also with a fixer nearby), people die to burst damage. But probably also straight HP for a defender

17. CheekyDevilGod

CheekyDevilGod Well-Known Member

Defense perks and the very stat is too low to make any reasonable difference.

We need a new blue item just for defense, only then will it actually make any difference at all, the devs should know by now that the defense stat is almost not used at all.

If not all ships then atleast defender needs a huge defense buff.

18. Joey who

When you take the crit it takes away from the guns total damage before the crit. So since any sniper has a 2.5x crit bonus with proper training everyone should have up there you would take 150x2.5 less damage :)

19. retryW

retryW Well-Known Member

Yea makes sense. Didn't realise it took it from pre crit calculation base damage.
    Learn something new everyday :)

20. Joey who

Yea if you ever crit a defender you notice it does less than when you crit a shooter, haha.