1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Good weapons... Do they matter, or is it all about skill?

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Wishaal, 5 Aug 2017.

1. Wishaal

Wishaal Well-Known Member

I have seen this subject several time, but now I want to have an actual discussion about wether the power of your weapons matter or not.

There are some veteran players who claim that weapon power isn't important, they'll say that skill is more important. Have you ever seen vids where Bittersteel is playing? His weapons sucks compared to most other players in his infamy range, but yet Bittersteel is able to outdamage them. So is it true that it's all about skill?

And how about players around 2000 infamy with all legendary items? Their items are obviously better than other players aeound that infamy, and yet they can't get any higher... So skill does matter after all, I'm not going to deny that...

But here is where it will become interesting... We have all seen players with weak items that are able to outperform others... They obviously have got better skills than the average player... But what would happen if Bittersteel for example received several tier 5 epic or legendary items? Would he still be around the same infamy level because his skill level is the same, or would he actually rise because of the better weapons?

In my opinion good items do matter. Give good items to bad players and they'll keep performing bad... But give good items to actually skilled players and they will do better than ever. It's just that most people with good items relies on their gear too much instead of their skill. But when you give a good player good items, then they'll just be undefeatable.

I'm curious about how others think about good gear vs skill, so please share your toughts.

2. Excism

Excism Well-Known Member

Gear matters to an extent. If you go into 4400 infamy match with T1 lvl 1 cannon, your gonna have a bad time. But a skilled dude with epics can beat an unskilled dude with legendaries imo

3. Miika

Miika Game Lead

I see it's pretty simple. Given two equal skilled players the one with better gear wins, and given two players with equal gear the one with more skill wins.

The more difficult area is how much you can compensate skill with gear and vise versa, and there is no single truth to that. We see from our data that there is a perfectly nice normal distribution of infamy around any given gear level, which is to be expected in this situation.

4. Wishaal

Makes perfect sense

5. Helius Maximus

Helius Maximus Active Member

PM
    Of course the gear matters, that is how Banderas and Mouradear climbed to where they are now. Lots of F2P gamers, like my self, survive with whatever RNGesus give us and have to compensate with effort and creativity. I only have three epics, one T4 standard cannon, one T3 big thorp and one T1 standard shield, the rest of my gear are T4 and T3 rares which I constantly switch to find the best combination, and that keeps me moving around 3k to 3.5k infamy. I can only imagine where I will be if I had better gear. And I'm not asking for legendaries, with the same rares and epics I have, but evolved to max tiers it will be awesome. It is just that RNGesus doesn't love me too much and I'm reluctant to spend money on a fat chance of getting the stuff I need.

So, skills will get you far but skills with the proper gear will take you farter.

Last edited: 5 Aug 2017
    The Otherguy likes this.
  6. Crack Efron

Crack Efron Member

End game mk6+ 4000 infamy both matter, however when I match against mk5s I 1-2 shot most of them without any skill. 7k damage if in less than 15 sec if my target is in sight. At the same time skilled players ganging up on me without team support I die in 30 sec while at 12k hp. So yes gear over skill mostly. I 1 shoot a low player by random big torpedo at the beginning of match 1/10 times.

7. P0rthos

P0rthos Well-Known Member

Yup. Both matter. Neither can trump the other. Best case scenario is having skill AND weapons. ;)

8. Kraptastic

Kraptastic Active Member

Sales
    . . .AND a good team. With good skill and weapons.

9. P0rthos

Whoa whoa whoa... let's not get too crazy here...

10. Captain Gilligan

Captain Gilligan Well-Known Member

Freelance Motion Designer
    Ok, Give @BITTERSTEEL Bandaras' loadout...do it...and record it

11. BasedCarpen

BasedCarpen Well-Known Member

Watch Porthos YouTube's and he makes it clear, a lot of top players aren't using unobtainable weapons. This game is more about not getting hit, keeping out of danger and picking off clean shots.

12. TVNPryde

TVNPryde Well-Known Member

@Wishaal question is depending on the infamy rank too. I am at 1200 infamy and I have loadouts for (All MK4s) Shooter, Speeder, and Fixer to be in the low 2000s. OK, I might not the skill for Fixer.

I have a 5 years old son who's also playing my account using Shooter and MK3 Defender. He'll win 40-50% with the firepowers I loaded for him. He does have some skills but this answer your question about how much of an impact the weapons have in a match. With the average loadouts of someone in the 1200 rank, he'll probably loss 80-90% of the time. If the battle doesn't end in 3 minutes or less, he's likely be sunk by then. Pretty aggressive little guy but he knows how to charge in after the unfriends unloaded their weapons. That more than what I can say about most of the players around 1200.

13. Joey who

Joey who Well-Known Member

A skilled player with max rares beats a nonskilled player with max epics or even legendaries

Last edited: 5 Aug 2017
    WarCream likes this.
  14. BITTERSTEEL

BITTERSTEEL Well-Known Member

Thank you for the compliments.

Skill does matter, but weapons are just as important as skill. To progress in this game, either time or money need to be spent. The road of the free to play captain is wrought with grinding, grinding, and grinding. On that path, however, you learn to use your weapons better than someone who has bought them.

I've noticed that these new "pro" players fitted with legendaries make a ton of bad plays, but it works for them because they have the gear to back them up, but mistakes for players like me in high-powered games are much, much more deadly, so we have to play more cautiously.

However, there are players that have earned T5 epics completely through hard work. These are the players that are true Battle Bay legends, and I'm not talking about Diet Coke's youtube channel. Blacktail, Black Bihon, Mordelin, Sniper, Bergster, Ragnarog, Smile Shark. There are few players that fill me with dread when I see them on the other side, and none of the new p2w "pros" are on that list.

15. P0rthos

:mad: Oh, so u include 3 players who have quit but I'm not on that list? Phshhhhhhhh.... see if I send u a battle bay anniversary present now. :p

Also, well put. And totally agreed.

16. Wishaal

I know how it feels, I'm not on that list either. :)

17. Zombie

Zombie Active Member

imo in ace league super skills dont really matter neither do leg weapons, you could be the most skilled player with all leggys but you still couldn't carry the battle, it's too much RNG-based and teammates performance have too much influence on the good individual ship trying to carry the battle, i've been losing games where i had 10k+ damage and 3 stars, and i won a game where i had 0 damage and 0 stars (leg torp shot my speeder in place for my full hp -_-)
    if matchmaking would be proper i would say, skilled players can mince unskilled ones holding better weapons, so again the problem is skilled players can get matched up with afks\kamikazes\torpedospammerfromspawn\shooterwith3mines and so on

oh and yea in ace league there are players with evolved legendaries i am just saying it's like elo hell i swear

18. BITTERSTEEL

BITTERSTEEL Well-Known Member

@P0rthos hahaha, send me that epic horn and I'll put you on any list you want!!

Damn! Three stars on a loss?! My record is only two on a loss... o_O

19. The Otherguy

The Otherguy Well-Known Member

Tech support
  20. H.A.D.E.S

H.A.D.E.S Well-Known Member

In Simple words, it's 50/50 chances.

Skilled + Epics > Skilled + rares

Unskilled + Legendary/epics < Skilled + rares/epics

CrazyFixer likes this.