1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Matchmaking is broken at 3200+

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by monobrow, 29 Jul 2017.

1. monobrow

monobrow Well-Known Member

So we all moan about matchmaking, and the "you only win 50%" conspiracy, which i dont subsribe to btw, however....

There is a point, and its around 3200+ infamy, where winning or losing becomes a complete lottery and is frankly, not fun anymore.

The reason is that when you reach about 3200, you start getting matched with the best players in the game, who are fully stacked with max epics and have played 20k+ games. One common response is, " it makes you better", "its good practice", but i call BS to that. Im not ready for nightmare, i know that, i dont pretend to be, yet I am legitimately put against 4800 players such as Orpheus, RNG Bunta, Porthos etc.

The devs recently introduced "seal clubbing" measures, which I believe comes in at about 800 infamy difference, well why are they match making me against players 1600 infamy higher?

The response ive had from devs in game is that "the queues would be too long for nightmare players" well, frankly, thats not my problem. The problem is that we only have such a small poool of top players because the game is so hard to progress right now with so many paywalls. Captain level, parts, duplicate items, sugar, gold..

There is an easy fix to stop the seal clubbing in ace1 and that is to improve progression, as the thought of me having to play "support for the nightmare players" (as a dev told me) is not my idea of fun and by the amount of people leaving, not others either.

Improve progression and stop ridiculous matchmaking and seal clubbing in 3200+

This is a great game, but the end game is a mess right now.

Thanks

Zangetsu, Mamamyers, CrizR and 4 others like this.
  2. behumble

behumble Well-Known Member

Good to know what i have to look forward to....o_O
    I dont doubt it all, have a friend that was playing against nightmare at 3000 as well. It just becomes unsustainable for ftp doesnt it?
    But alas, we play because its fun and interesting, not to gain infamy.
    However, playing against or with players you would have no chance against becomes no fun...
    *long sigh* idk if speeding up progression would work...

monobrow likes this.
  3. monobrow

Another option is to introduce seal clubbing measures in ace1. Because right now, it feels like if you get to within 800 points of nightmare (4000 - 800 = 3200) you can get matched against any nightmare player, regardless of thier infamy level.

Even if they increased the seal clubbing cap a bit, it would help. I.e at 3200, u can only be matched up to 4000. 3400 to 4200, 3600 to 4400 etc.

Im a dolphin (spending a fair bit, but not insane amounts) so will soon get my mk6 ship which will help. But any mk5 (who isnt a fixer or a pimped out defender it seems) will be in matchmaking hell for 6-12 months while they "play support" to nightmare players and just ping pong between 3200 and 3400 which will never be enough to get you top 10 in ace 1. And if you cant do that, you cant progress.

Conversely, it must be annoying as hell for the big boys to see a 3200 player in their game. We just dont have the experience or gear to mix it with the big boys so either get crushed or just have to hide away.

I just dont believe there isnt a fairer way to do it, without sacrificing 3200 noobs to the gods of the game.

El Comandante. likes this.
  4. Flying Bananasaur

Flying Bananasaur Active Member

I can't wait to crash their party with my awfulness... :S

Rock'N'Rolla, Mamamyers and monobrow like this.
  5. Kitterini

Kitterini Well-Known Member

There is absolutely a very rough period when you start being matched up against nightmare players --- As a new mk5 you mostly feel like a spectator and hardly have any impact on the games.
    It gets better as you level up, but it is some rough months from the late 20's to the mid 30's.

Rock'N'Rolla, JJf and monobrow like this.
  6. monobrow

Yeah, but you are also a very skilled fixer... have you tried competing as a non fixer against the top nightmares?

7. monobrow

IMG_0709.PNG Perfect example of broken matchmaking in ace1.

Other team dont stand a chance.

8. Mamamyers

Mamamyers Well-Known Member

Loser
    Hopefully i dont make it there lol im at 1300 and even those matches are crazy.

9. Kitterini

Kitterini Well-Known Member

You imagine what happens when I enter a battle in my mk4 speeder, not so pretty.
    ----
    It is probably easier to find ways to contribute as a support boat, agreed.
    But my point was more that I was going through the same emotions when I was around lvl 30 & just started to peak over 3k, that feeling is being completely irrelevant in the battles.. After a few months gearing (+ better talents) it is not as bad anymore. Hang in there & things will improve!

10. JJf

JJf Member

I agree it's not easy to play against the top players with ANY mk5 ship. If you're a fixer with 3k hp they'll take you out with two shots. Of course for a fixer it's natural to stay back and try to hide but works also with the other ships. I have seen people playing at around 4k infamy with mk5 shooters so it isn't impossible. You need to be really skilled, that's true, but it's possible. That impresses me and I'm trying to do the same with my mk5 fixer. I have felt I do not belong in the battles I've played and maybe the big guys swear noticing I am in their team weakening it but that's not my problem. I am trying to do as much as I can. And yes, it's quite awkward to make a stupid mistake and get killed with all those pros watching but that's life. Next time I won't make the same mistake.

I understand also the nightmare players need battles. If they should wait 15 minutes before the battle starts they wouldn't play anymore. We must just wait until there are bigger amount of players at the nightmare so everyone can be in a battle with players at the same infamy. Nothing makes you learn how to play better than playing with the bests. And it's really satisfying to win and feel you have made things right and helped your team to win. I believe I belong in the battles with nightmare players if I am there. If I am not good enough I will drop and get easier battles.

ThatOnion likes this.
  11. Excism

Excism Well-Known Member

Lol that's the number 1 guy in the world

12. lolawola

lolawola Active Member

i have wrote this in a different thread, but may be applicable here too...

13. Rock'N'Rolla

Rock'N'Rolla Active Member

@monobrow Man I see your point sooo much. I've rushed 3000+ a few days ago and INSTANTLY got into a fight withOrpheus, Banderas etc... I've never felt so useless... U do have legendary and epic weapons. Imagine my feelings because I have rares 2-4evo only. Damn it fells so awfull when u deal 4000 damage while the top of ur deals about 15000... U get a lucky 1000 crit and get 1000 dmg w/o any crit, u make enemy burn 38dmg/sec for 16 sec and get burned 70dmg/sec FOR ETERNITY. Etc...
    I'm not sure that I will be able to endure such games for 3 month or so...

monobrow likes this.
  14. Stelmo

Stelmo Well-Known Member

I think we'd all appreciate a maximum limit on infamy variation within teams/battles.
    I know I'm bored of facing off against giants.

monobrow likes this.
  15. Helius Maximus

Helius Maximus Active Member

PM
    You think you got it tough?

I started to see those monsters since I reach 2500 and haven't stopped to have them in my battles. I too complained back in april about it and they called me a whiner. They said that once global launch appens it will change because the pool will increase and we will rarely see the monsters again... Well that ain't going to happen, you need to get use to it and do the best that you can in every battle.

It is more likely that the Nightmares get bored and leave than the matchmaking to change.

We in the 3000 - 4000 range have it very tough, that is for sure, but we all have that problem, and with all the legendaries going around it is worse, but hey it is what it is.

Just enjoy and have fun either winning or loosing, because in the long run you will be the Nightmare that will be matched against poor little 3000 unfriends.

monobrow likes this.