1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

The Do's and Don'ts (a topic for general advice)

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Wishaal, 19 Jul 2017.

1. Wishaal

Wishaal Well-Known Member

So in this topic I'd like to discuss the do's and don'ts. Advice that is suitable for everybody. Be sure to put in some points that everybody should know.

So far these are the points I can think of.

The Do's:
    Always stick with your group

If you're a shooter, it's usually a good idea to stick with the defender in your team. Try to stay behind the defender, but do it in such a way that he doesn't block all your shots.

If you're a ship of a certain mk lvl, and you're constantly fighting against ships 2 or even more levels lower than your own, then you should realize that your strategy is worthless.

If enemy team got a fixer, and your team doesn't, play more offensive. Don't give that annoying fixer the time to restore their whole team back to full health.

Always keep track of your surroundings. That way you'll notice those annoying torpedo's comming at you. And you won't pin yourself against a wall if you're just aware of your surroundings.

Always keep track of the minimap (you want to see an enemy trying to flank, or notice that you're drifting too far from the group, or maybe seeing where your help is needed)

Mortars aren't only usefull for damage, you can also use them to lure enemies out, or make them stop running away for a short while. They either stop, or they get hit with full damage, so it's a win win situation.

If you use mines, mortars, repair boxes, or missile launchers, always keep those selected at the start of the battle. This way it's easier to spot mines and incoming torpedo's due to the higher camera angle.

Fleet up with a player that matches your play style (It just happens, even if the player is good, sometimes you just don't do well together. And sometimes you're a really good team together with another player)

Always assume your team is full of retards. So don't sacrifice yourself and hope that the rest of your team will finish the job for you. If you can win 1 vs 1 against an enemy, well that's nice, but always assume that the rest of your team will die if you don't help them, so don't fight 1 vs 1, but rather help your team.

Most of the time if a teammate calls a target, stop with whatever you were doing and help them finish that target. (That's right, most of the time, of course there are exceptione)

If you're a defender, be sure to soak up hits for your team. (But also don't die)

The Don'ts:
    If you've got a ship of a certain mk level, then never, ever enter a battle with a ship of lower level. You will just end up dragging yourself and your team down. Don't equip anything on those ships, then you won't get quests for them either.

The same goes with gear. Never ever use significantly weaker gear than your main gear. And never ever use common items, just don't do that.

If your team has got a fixer, and enemy team don't, then Don't rush. Never ever rush if your team got fixer, and enemy team doesn't, period.

Just because you can shoot doesn't mean you should. Shots aren't worth anything if you just miss everything.

Never ever rush out on your own.

Don't enter a battle with nothing else but mortars equipped. (Same goes for torpedo's)

Don't use only mines as weapon, there is a reason why nobody in the top does that.

Don't fleet up with a player with a lower lvl boat. This is like bringing a knife to a gun fight.

Don't camp. No seriously, don't camp. 99,9% of the time there just isn't good reason to camp.

Don't go chasing a fixer on your own when everybody is still alive. Help your team take out the damage dealers first, a fixer isn't that dangerous. But of course if your whole team is chasing the fixer it would be wise to help them with that.

Don't go chase a speeder, if you're not a speeder you're just not fast enough. In all the time wasted chasing a speeder, you could have dealt some damage to other enemies.

If you're a speeder, don't suicide. This may seem as common sense, but alot of speeders just don't know this. If you're a speeder and you're speeding head on to 5 enemies, don't continue your path, just turn back and get the hell out of there.

If you're not a speeder, Don't suicide either lol. I know you got skills, I know you trust your weapons, but there is just no way on earth that you can win 5 against 1.

If you're a speeder, don't go chasing a speeder with full health, just let them run away from the battle while you keep supporting the rest of your team.

If you're a fixer, don't equip 2 ductapes. (Or even better, just don't use a ductape at all). You need ductape because enemies always target you? Well here is a solution, DON'T scout, you're a fixer, not a speeder.

If you're a fixer, there is almost never a good reason to prioritize dealing damage over healing your teammates, so don't focus on getting the kill.

If your target is stunned, don't shoot him untill stun is about to wear off. But what if all your weapons are ready to fire? Well that's nice. But maybe the weapons of your teammates are not, so just wait untill stun is about to wear off.

Never ever assume a mine is layed down by an ally. I've lost countless matches because of this basic mistake either by me or my teammates.

That's all I can think of at the moment. I'm sure there are several points wich I may have forgotten, so be sure to share everything you can think of.

Last edited: 17 Sep 2017
  2. behumble

behumble Well-Known Member

This is awesome! thanks for the list
    Just some do's and dont's for fixers
    Do:
    stay with the biggest group of team mates

Try to get your team mates together :)

time your pulse to get the most in at once (if it seems like two team mates are about to converge, slip in and time that pulse!)

be aware of your pulse radius, players all around you, and what direction they are going :)

Check up on your health. Its important to keep your team mates alive, but you are needed too! That is why its good to have a repair box :) (only exception is if its you and another team mate, if you are being targeted, focus all your healing on other player so they can do dmg!)

Watch out for torps!! or anything that does splash damage

Dont:
    Block friends shots! I know it can be difficult to keep up with all your team mates, but make sure not to get in their way trying to heal them

Follow a rusher, dont, they know what they were doing, and you going in there to save them just means two kills for the team.

Get hit by torps. Such a big problem. You may be going sideways focusing on getting to team mate that needs heals, but get blind sided by a torp and kill the one you were trying to save!

Pick a weapon that takes a long time to reload, or is difficult to land hits with. Fixers only have one weapon, i recommend cannon. Some can get away with using mines and torps though. But if you are ever in a 1v1 that might screw you over.

Last edited: 19 Jul 2017
    _devill, Elena Kr, Skye and 7 others like this.
  3. Helius Maximus

Helius Maximus Active Member

PM
    I want to emphasize that together doesn't mean all packed up tight near each other, it means all in the same direction towards the same target. But if there is the possibility to flank the same target to better aim and shoot, then that it is also valid as together.

When I'm a Defender and send an SOS is either because I'm stuned and need backup or because I need the fixer to aid me.

When I'm a Fixer and send an SOS + together it means that you need to come to me for aid.

@Wishaal, I think your compilation is very complete and hope this thread become a guide for all lost souls out there in the bay.

Cheers!

_devill, Elena Kr, Skye and 5 others like this.
  4. Jasper21

Jasper21 Active Member

Nice work @Wishaal!

To those shooters who like to go out solo, please consider these:
    1) you may think that taking another route to catch the enemies by surprise, well, very often you will be surprised how many unfriends are waiting for you and take you down in 10-15 seconds.
    2) some routes are so long that you left your team 4 vs 5 for 1-2 mins and by the time you find an unfriend, your team might be half dead.
    3) how much damage can you do within 10-15 seconds if you face 2-3 unfriends at the same time? Any chance of taking one unfriend ship down to make your suicidal action worthy?

It’s soooooo important to go in the same direction with the whole team.

_devill, Elena Kr, Skye and 5 others like this.
  5. What's Up Player

What's Up Player Well-Known Member

This should be read by every player out there. Thanks for putting this list together. Well done

Wishaal likes this.
  6. GhostYasuo

GhostYasuo Active Member

The point I loved most was the 'always assume your team is full of retards' XD.Which you should absolutely do BTW.

_devill, The Otherguy and Wishaal like this.
  7. GhostYasuo

GhostYasuo Active Member

And to the speeders out there who use Tesla sheild.Do not hesitate to move if front of a teammate and activate your sheild and hence block incoming shots.Even if you are winning hard help your teammates that way.Its the least you can do for the shooter who is trying so hard to dish out damage and win you the game.Same goes for incoming mortar shots.But to do this you have to be in the center of the impact.Only then will the mortar be blocked.Imagine the amount of hp you will save for your friends.And yes don't try this stunt if the incoming mortar is a Berta lol.You can judge what mortar is coming your way by their flight time (will take some time to judge properly).

Wishaal likes this.
  8. Wishaal

This is so beautifully explained. And this also really valuable advice that alot of players just don't know, no matter your infamy range.

Thanks man/woman/apche. I was just bored when I made this topic. I didn't expect this much appreciation lol (but of course it makes me happy to see it).

(Good advice or not, sometimes even I myself fail to listen to this advice, sometimes I'm the "retard" in the team)

After seeing all those comments maybe we should request a sticky. (How do you do that tough?)

Last edited: 19 Jul 2017
    - Oskar - and Jasper21 like this.
  9. GhostYasuo

GhostYasuo Active Member

I think only devs/admins can pin the post.

The Otherguy likes this.
  10. Fiorell

Fiorell Active Member

I had some other situations lately:

If you are a Shooter, check your health frequently. If it is critically low, try to move away from enemy fire and approach your Fixer. If the enemy team has torpedoes, don't "park" your boat near the Fixer waiting for some heals. Keep on moving!

Don't stay together crowded around your Fixer in a narrow path when your team is literally bombarded by torpedoes, missiles and mortars. This is the rare case where you should move away from the Fixer and find a better spot to land your shots. He will happily follow you.

_devill, The Otherguy and Wishaal like this.
  11. ThatOnion

ThatOnion Well-Known Member

Gamer
    Im sure this has been said but:
    1. Don't follow the enforcer/speeder, their job is to distract the enemy so YOU can shoot them.
    2. Semi-contradictory to #1, stay aware of your enforcer/speeder, they cant survive a 3v1, be prepared to swoop in and save their ass. We'll be happy to gtfo with some help.

12. TVNPryde

TVNPryde Well-Known Member

This is by far the most annoying thing I saw people doing. It takes a shooter about 15 seconds to go around a small half circle and a minute just to get around half a map. If you really like to get behind the enemies, then get in a speeder. Countless of time, half of your teammates got sunk because they were missing your firepower. The last part of this is that shooter is so slow that the enemies know where you are at before you can shoot the first shot.

Second highly annoying things are Fixer prioritizes fixing his/her-self first and doing mano-a-mano with any other ship. The selfish Fixer cannot be help. Doing 1v1 with other ship is just flat out dumb. Fixer can't win that battle and you're not doing your job of keeping your teammates alive to fight.

13. Monkey D Luffy..

Monkey D Luffy.. New Member

Is it just me or does anyone read this and got this powerful urge to go now and knock down some ships walls but still got knocked down first ship in battle ?

14. Wishaal

Unfortunatly not. I still make some basic mistakes sometimes lol. Even tough I made this list, I sometimes still fail to listen to my own advice.

15. Swarlos

Swarlos Member

A mistake I often make as a Fixer (mk3, 1,2k infamy) is to follow my urge to help that suicidal dude running in alone. I follow him, and I die too.

Dont do that. It's tempting, but losing 1 teammate is hard enough; losing 2 basically means game over.

_devill and Shooter@Bay like this.
  16. fr4nk1yn

fr4nk1yn Well-Known Member

As mentioned already,
    DON'T:
    Stay packed to tightly, As a firebomber I just love it when the unfriends stay in a tight packed group.
    It's easy for mortars to target multiple ships.

17. CheekyDevilGod

CheekyDevilGod Well-Known Member

Nice post, all useful tips, here's some stuff I learnt

If your enemy team has more speeders, then you will die one by one really fast, so stay close and move together.

Only way to win against a team with more speeders is to stay close, 1 ship wanders off then you'll get picked off and die.

If you are a shooter, STAY AHEAD OF THE FIXER AND PROTECT HIM. If you are a defender, STAY IN FRONT OF THE SHOOTER AND PROTECT HIM. Don't be a douche defender and do long range dmg from the back.

If you are a fixer, don't overboost and nitro to the front of the team right at the beginning of the match, stay behind the team and focus on healing, your guns are to protect yourself, not to dmg and kill.

Always kill the shooters first, a team can't win by having more hp or heal, they win by doing more dmg, take out their shooters and the enemy team is at a disadvantage.

If you see a solo speeder at a distance, GO THE OPPOSITE WAY, WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T CHASE HIM, he's scouting amd it's a trap, your enemy knows where you are but you don't, They can shoot you down but you can't.

If you are shooting at a ship and you see a healer right behind him, switch targets IMMEDIATELY. Doing effective dmg is more important than merely a lot of dmg. Don't waste your time and shots.

If there's an mk5 ship and he goes off alone right at the start, he's probably a cheater trying to kill himself and drop infamy after doing some dmg. REPORT HIM.

Will post more if I remember something important.

_devill and Shooter@Bay like this.
  18. ThatOnion

ThatOnion Well-Known Member

Gamer
    Tedla sheild enforcers: you job is to block mortars for your other team, not block that cannon shot. And if your team has a fixer, DEFEND HIM WITH YOUR LIFE, the fixer is more important to the team than you

19. Zachiderp

Zachiderp Well-Known Member

I hate playing fixer. My score is dependant on my team. Trash team = Trash score. I love the support role but teammates just dont listen. All in all good thread tho. I wish everypne followed these

20. Zachiderp

Zachiderp Well-Known Member

I make that same mistake too sometimes but we learn to overcome that urge and move on