1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Long Range Mortar at High Infamy - Useful or not?

Discussion in 'Strategy Discussion' started by JustinBeaver, 25 Jun 2017.

1. JustinBeaver

JustinBeaver Member

Currently, it's the only weapon that I have 5 "Rare" duplicates. I'm currently at 1700 infamy. So, should I upgrade my Long range mortar to tier 5 in the future?

Wonder if the prevalence of speeders in games at high infamy would make long range mortar less useful.

Planning on going Shooter Mk 5/6.
    Loadout:
    Long range mortar, Sniper cannon, explosive cannon, Big torpedo, Napalm/firebomb/flare gun

Please help me with any insights!

2. Kitterini

Kitterini Well-Known Member

Mortars aint playing a huge part of the lategame. Napalm, Fire Bomb and the odd Big Berta being the exceptions.

3. H.A.D.E.S

H.A.D.E.S Well-Known Member

If ur going for mk5/6 shooter then definitely get LR mortar to tier 5....Helps a lot to shoot enemies from long distance, both rare and epic are good....Other wise don't go for uncommon one.

ShøckWãve likes this.
  4. JustinBeaver

JustinBeaver Member

Why is big bertha better than Long Range Mortar for late game? It's projectile speed is so much slower. Won't hitting speeders be more difficult with big Bertha instead?

5. Kitterini

Kitterini Well-Known Member

You wont hit any competent speeder with either. Berta hurts and could be useful on a shooter that can afford to run a situational weapon or two. But I choose the wording 'the odd' for a reason, mortars are not that common

6. JustinBeaver

JustinBeaver Member

So comparing LR mortar and big Bertha, is there any difference in effectiveness at low infamy and high infamy? If there are more speeders at high infamy, then both LR mortar and big Bertha would have less non-speeders to hit. And their effectiveness would then depend on their respective dps?

7. monobrow

monobrow Well-Known Member

Maybe, maybe the changes to OB will aid mortar users, but yeah. At higher levels, i very rarely get hit by mortars.

8. BEN

BEN Active Member

If you plan to play the long range game, then yes it is very effective. It has the fastest projectile out of all the mortars so if you are worried about hitting targets late game then this is probably your best bet to do so. The difference in damage between rare and epic isnt that much so building a rare T5 would still do good at the later levels.

JustinBeaver likes this.
  9. JustinBeaver

JustinBeaver Member

You're a speeder/enforcer I guess?

10. JustinBeaver

JustinBeaver Member

I have heard that games at later levels are more of mid/close range than long range, is that right?

11. RESQMI

RESQMI Active Member

Well honestly speaking one of the best way counter the mortar bombardments will be to rush in to close quarter skirmish to blown them out.
    Much easier to achieve at higher levels with faster and stronger HP boats and works most of the time.
    If you are gonna invest in any mortars, I would advise you not to spam mortars in the beginning of a game to reveal your load out.
    You are just gonna attract speeder and enforcer coming close on you.
    Also advisable to randomly swap about your load out with some alternative weapons once in awhile. You will notice that within an infamy range there will be a few IDs that kept getting pairing up with or against you. If any one can remember your load out they can choose their strategy against you either to go into areas with cover, low ceiling or just simply rush up to you to sink you 1st.

JustinBeaver likes this.
  12. Joey who

Joey who Well-Known Member

Dude you use my exact mk4 setup...
    LR mortar. Sniper. Explosive. Big torp

Edit: nevermind i read thru it too fast

13. monobrow

monobrow Well-Known Member

Yep, speeder. Fair shout.

14. JustinBeaver

JustinBeaver Member

Thanks for the insights!!

15. JustinBeaver

JustinBeaver Member

Wow! What do you feel of this set up? I feel that my explosive cannon is so situational that it does the least dmg most of the time. Do you feel so too?

Anyways, what's your highest infamy reached with this set up? Mine is at 1.7k+ with tier 2 rare turbo and lvl 1 big shield.

16. Joey who

Joey who Well-Known Member

Explo cannon is op. Just gotta practice aiming it. Mines tier 3 rare and it does great especially in taking out a player in a 1v1.

My highest infamy with explosive cannon was 1830 but i used:
    Explosive cannon, big berta, long range mortar, sniper

JustinBeaver likes this.
  17. BEN

BEN Active Member

Its more or less the same really. As soon as the enemy spots you and you are in range of their weapons you will get fired upon. There are still plenty who use mortars, missiles, rail guns, etc etc. The good thing about a shooter is that you get to equip a lot of weapons, so having 1 or 2 for long range, and 1 or 2 for close/mid range is the way to go.

JustinBeaver likes this.