1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Ideas to Fix Ranked

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by envylife, 13 Apr 2019.

1. envylife

envylife Well-Known Member

As we all know, Ranked is currently a disaster...the mode that makes the least sense in this game. Why?
    • Ranked Battles have too much disparity in Infamy
    Infamy is derived from Ranked battles. If players in a battle aren't anywhere near each other in Infamy, then the match makes no sense, and accurately adjusting Infamy as a result of a 3000 Infamy span in a single battle is nearly impossible. So the situation as we have now his this:
    • Infamy is meaningless, Ranked matches as an input to Infamy is laughable, and as follows, Leagues are also meaningless.
    How to fix this?
    • Constrain Infamy deviation in a match to 10%. That means if you are a 2k player you shouldn't see players outside of 1800-2200 Infamy.
    Why is this important? A ranking system needs to be a battle of equals to decide who should move up and down. Without that you need a really good handicapping system, so that if you are a 1500 Infamy player going against a 2500 Infamy player, the 1500 Infamy player needs a buff and/or the 2500 Infamy player needs a nerf to make them equals.

You see where I'm getting? Only a battle of equals is proper input to ranking adjustments. While I don't think it's fair to nerf/buff GS, another way to do this is to have multiple matches... such that the 2500 Infamy player has to win 5 matches before the 1500 Infamy player wins 2. However we know that's not going to work in the Battle Bay system, never mind the fact that it is single game based, there are always teammates. So we go back to forcing Infamy equality in a ranked match.

What's the root of the problem that Infamy deviation is so high?
    • Lack of players
    So there you go... you can force tight Infamy ranges, but it may take matches much longer to happen. Personally I think waiting longer is a fair tradeoff, and better than putting unequals in a battle, but most disagree because players are impatient, and impatience leads to players doing other things. Ok then, since we've acknowledged that the current player base doesn't lend toward a proper ranked system we come to my two solutions:

Solution #1: Ranked goes to 3v3 battles

This addresses several concerns.
    1. Less participants makes faster and easier matchmaking with tighter Infamy deviation
    2. It addresses the player complaints Infamy being affected by you only being 1 of 10 participants. Being 1 of 6 means your personal Impact is more meaningful
    3. Fleeting now drastically reduces the RNG teammate effect.
    4. Participating in this latest 3v3 Frost Event on a big map it is apparent that it works well, and works for all boat types.
    5. This would allow smaller maps into the mix
    Honestly #3 is a bit of a concern, as a good fleeted pair in 3v3 is a huge advantage... but it puts Infamy control more in a player's hands than ever before. Matchmaker seems to lose its mind with high level fleeted pairs and unbalance sides, so that needs to be fixed. To temper the slight concerns I'd also be ok with a 4x4 alternative for all the above reasons.

Solution #2: Remove Ranked.

Yup, I said it. As it stands, it makes no sense, and has no good solution to it as a 5v5 match with a small player base. Other games deal with this by using bots, but this is a true skill game (with equal gear), so I don't know how successful bots can be used particularly when impacting Infamy.

Why is removing ranked not a concern?
    • Most players are fairly content with Casual and Events.
    • It does not adversely impact progression (. Events and Casual push the need for more levels and diverse gear) more than ranked does.
    • While it will leave a hole in the game, that can be filled with more and diverse events. 10 player battle royale, Boss battles, 6v6, all the event types players have been asking for.
    • Last, but maybe most important, we need a way to differentiate skill... so I've always been a strong proponent of In-game tournaments to have a way to showcase skill, something that ranked pretends to fill now, but doesn't.
    We need more diversity to keep the game interesting and we need to adapt to less players. Either of the above will do the job, for now.

Last edited: 13 Apr 2019
    Micro, Musso, Redneck Messiah and 3 others like this.
  2. Su-57

Su-57 Well-Known Member

Artist
    3v3 are not good for ranked , whenever they put 3v3 event on big map i have seen its less about strategy more about aggressive game play . and faster boats have more advantage then shooter or defender . and whenever there is one disconnected player thats 90% a lose .4v4 can work .

Remove ranked is a good idea , i have wrote a forum about it . but my final suggestion was to find individual based infamy system and recently suggested hybrid version of casual and ranked . but players who gonna disagree gonna disagree with whatever other players suggests. and gonna say people afraid to play ranked without checking the facts about how so many player who used to be at a particular infamy range for long have dropped huge amount of infamy after recent updates . its not like they forgot how to play or use weapons .

3. Earel

Earel Active Member

My infarmy for now 4.6-4.8 l am waiting for match from 30 sec to 3 min... approximately 80-90 sec ... and it’s horrible ((
    If matchmaking will be +-10% it’s death for ranked for me...
    My phone goes out battery quicker than I found a match... thx((

Ranked it’s just one indicator of your progress, so u can’t remove it... it’s last point of seance in this game.
    Why u farm!? Why u grind resources/perks/ etc?! - got a top of league! Reach nightmare 1!!!
    Casual for me it’s just training and fun different ships and weapons... on the main it’s like a sandbox))

Last edited: 14 Apr 2019
    Micro and TVNPryde like this.
  4. Nicolas

Nicolas Well-Known Member

Remove this thread.

5. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

That's not a very constructive comment, is it? Although I do disagree with a couple of ideas in this thread... For the most part, it makes sense.

Why should it be removed?

6. envylife

Because he wants to nerf Casual rewards to the ground and buff Ranked rewards as his idea to get everyone into ranked to fix the mode.

My idea is to adjust the mode to accommodate the lesser player base, because I'm not convinced the player bases is large enough to support fast and fair ranked 5v5 matchmaking within my 10% deviation goal even if everyone is in ranked.

Both of us want ranked fixed... both know that the small player base is the core of the issue, just differ in our solutions.

7. Nicolas

One way to fix this thread is by removing it. Exactly like his solution to fix ranked.

8. Nicolas

The smaller the team the more it's unfair..

9. envylife

To be fair my first proposed solution is to keep it... just reduce the participants for a better chance at getting faster and fairer matches. Failing that, as it stands right now, it's a failed match type.

...or the more it is fair because you are less dependent on others.

10. Micro

Micro Active Member

Thats Occupied
    Yah it needs to be 3v3 more than 5v5. Lately on event i always win more than losing.

Last edited: 15 Apr 2019
  11. TVNPryde

TVNPryde Well-Known Member

If ranked goes to 3v3, people like you will cry louder. The strong get stronger. The strong players are already having hard time getting a match and you want to have a 10% cap? How are they going to get a match at all. There are less than 50 people can be match with Weeze and YSL. Both teams are close in total infamy and that’s all you can ask for right now. If you have a weak teammate, protect him/her and try to sink the unfriend one. IRL, not everyone goes into battle together has the same strength and skill.

Remove ranked? The last time I check, this is still a strategic multiplayers game right? The only mode that has a decent strategy applied is ranked. Strategy in Casual and Events are a joke at best. You are against nerfing a useless mode that many players exploited but you want to remove ranked completely? Doesn’t that makes you a hypocrite? Why did you titled the thread ‘Ideas to fix Ranked?’

Nicolas likes this.
  12. Micro

Micro Active Member

Thats Occupied
    I think ranked wasnt a problem for me when i was playing this fir the firts time day after day it was fair but though agility got incresed and i am annoyed to it.

13. TVNPryde

Ranked doesn’t has anymore problem now than it was 6 months ago. MM has to be expanded when it can’t find similar foes to accommodate for the dwindling player base. People just looked for something to blame when they’re losing. If teammates are a problem, how often do those players got carried in battles?

The problem since agility update has been the devs making changes that pissed a lot of people off. This game has always been P2W but now it becomes P2W and/or mindless grinding. The problem you described has a lot to do with greed. Rovio wants everyone to pay up or leave the game so that was what players did, leaving this game.

VantaBlack and Micro like this.
  14. Micro

Micro Active Member

Thats Occupied
    okay but really i'm really confused on the idea of "Removing Rank/Infamy system" on some topics. by the way i'm still happy on the game 2000K Infamy! "me" just needs some adjustments on the game

15. Mimmel

Mimmel Member

I think the problem is more due to the player base. I play a bit of ranked and it was not too bad except one match with 5 fixers. I want to see the ship balancement. I don't think it's too difficult to exchange one or two players between teams. Don't know why they don't do that.

If there is no ranked, I don't see the reason to play this game. Even though I enjoy casual, I sometimes want to play ranked with a full concentration. The quality of casual is very low and sometimes frustrating. The MM is worse than that of ranked.
    It would be nice more people play ranked. I wish less events. I play ranked only when no events are ongoing. But we only have a few such days and it's too few to climb up. I would propose less event.

16. Micro

Micro Active Member

Thats Occupied
    haha same 4 fixers have a 100% win if the you and your team have torpedo and mortars to spam.

17. envylife

Do I care if Weeze or YSL can't get fair matches? Not really... it was their choice to go OP with their wallets, they should understand that being the best means it will be harder to get them to get competitive matches. That was their goal all along... to be able to seal club, and they do well at it. But seal clubbers need seals who are happy to come back and take more or else game starvation will occur... and I'm telling you that starvation is real and continues to happen today.

A ranking system only works when matches are A) Fair (everyone at the same level), or B) Handicapped. Neither of them apply to this game at this point in time... and, while it may be news to you, I'm not seeing a lot of satisfaction by the 5k players either.

So sit back and think very hard... what went wrong? Why did players leave? When you figure that out, think of how to fix things to make the game last a little longer. Please, propose an alternative solution, because you telling me that nothing needs to change is ignoring the mass cries of all the players that left in the past 6 months. My solution to keep ranked is to change it to 3v3... if that's not acceptable to you, what is your solution? Change is necessary, whether you want to admit it or not.

HAPPY SITHSHA likes this.
  18. TVNPryde

Wow. You want ranked to be tailor made to your preferences but you don't play ranked. You complained about all the flaws of ranked yet you're a die-hard Casual player, a mode that's so flawed, it's laughable. You don't seem to care about anything except for what you want. Please tell me how Rovio making any money from Casual? Why would anyone pay for anything if they just play Casual? You contradict yourself so much that I am surprise that you're still sane at all. If you applied your +/-10% to Casual GS MM, player like @American Marauder should scrap all his T5L items. He should be ashamed with all his items.

19. envylife

I think you're missing the whole point:

There aren't enough players for 5v5 ranked to give fast and fair matches
    let me repeat:

What do you have against fair matches? I didn't propose 3v3 because it's a favorite mode of mine. I did it because of one reason only: It gives better odds of fast and fair matches.

Because you only have to find 6 players for a match... don't have to wait for 4 more

As for AM, If you paid attention to the message boards any time in this past I've said this multiple times... NML, and particularly 5k, should probably have a 20% deviation, which opens up all of NML to ... all of NML. I didn't want to complicate the entire topic with fine grained implementation details until there was a little acknowledgement to the reality that ranked matchmaking is broken and needs a solution. If you don't care about fair competition, then there's nothing I can do to convince you otherwise.

20. Earel

Earel Active Member

3vs3 will be enfo, speeder, fights...
    Tb for 16 sec mean playing 1 vs 3 during 16 sec...
    So it will be 2 class boats ladder, not so fun...