1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Match making is broke!

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Radar O Reilly, 20 Feb 2019.

1. Radar O Reilly

Radar O Reilly Active Member

I'm shutting off my VIP account.

I'm playing a new boat. I suck. My bonus is pitiful because of seal clubber penalty. Why am I paying VIP for this?!!?!?

The matchups are ridiculous. I know my gear score is pretty high but I am not a good player and it makes me play other teams that kick my ass all over the map. This isn't that much fun any more.

Bring back infamy based match-ups. Stop putting me in games I believe are very low probability for me to play

2. envylife

envylife Well-Known Member

Yea, I'd like Infamy based matchups in ranked as well.

DerrickRose and TheAntiSnipe like this.
  3. Radar O Reilly

I don't mind a few high ranked players but this is not well balanced.
    VIP subscription is officially off now. I am hoping the new elder scrolls comes out soon. I will need something to replace my Battle Bay addiction.

Greatgambler440 likes this.
  4. Radar O Reilly

I tired of really trying to win. I think Im going to let my infamy go as low it goes.. I am just going to goof around for awhile and see what happens.

My infamy is below 1100 and I was matched up against someone with 3900 infamy. Crazy. Game isn't balanced right.

5. Ser Tomaz

Ser Tomaz Active Member

shouldnt u try new ship in casual?

Earel likes this.
  6. Earel

Earel Active Member

Good suggestions)
    New ship new play style , new action new performance.. etc...
    Try to practice in casual... I play casual every time When I need to do some not main setup quest)
    Moreover rewards almost similar, in casual u can do much more than in ranked , so it’s useful)

7. EyeOfDoom

EyeOfDoom Well-Known Member

Go back and finish TES V barehanded. Fistfight dragons to death.

This Is Me and Ash KOT like this.
  8. envylife

The matchmaking complaints apply to Events, Ranked, and Casual equally. They are all some degree of terrible.

9. Radar O Reilly

I know the boat. I know the load out. Don’t need casual to learn it. Next time I fart around with my controls I will test it in casual.

Plus in ranked games I’m suppose to get fair matchups based on my skill which apparently kind of sucks. I plan to keep working speeder for now. I’m so bored with shooter. I want to play with new boats and I will just suffer with bad match ups and low infamy and sometimes really slow to start games

Btw, after giving up on trying to win and earn infamy I’ve improved a bit and increased infamy. I was expecting to slide under 1000 and ended up rising somewhat. I’m wondering if I’m over thinking and just need to play with more instinct and intuition.

10. envylife

As pointed out though, Casual is the Gear Score matchmaker... you use a weaker boat and/or weaker items, that's where you should normally be until it's leveled up if you want fair matches. Otherwise you can stay in ranked until your frustration boils over... your choice.

That being said, with current RNG matchmaking, an individual's ability to sway a match has been diminished to, effectively, a flip of a coin, so you'll just be frustrated either way. Play it for fun, not for the wins.

11. Radar O Reilly

so I (gasp) dropped my infamy to 666 (oh freaky is that). I want to see if infamy really matters. So far it doesn't. the match ups are still bad. My win loss is still about the same. I've started trying again to see if I can float back up. So far there isn't much difference from when I was 1200 infamy.

So now I have to ask myself do I chase infamy, should I care? It affects the league I am in. I used to care about that. Now maybe I don't.
    Given that my infamy level doesn't matter any more who cares if I have a bad game. Just play the way I want to play and I keep getting matched with guys at higher infamy that will probably get really mad at me. They have high infamy because they take this very seriously. I used to, I wanted to be ranked but given what happens when I lose infamy chasing down guild quests, trying new boats, I now feel oppressed by the match making system. I used to rely on match making to work my way back. I don't think I can any more.

12. envylife

Being lower infamy now are you being put in higher level matches?

13. thumbwrench

thumbwrench New Member

Infamy doesn't seem to matter anymore throughout the game. No matter the format (ranked, casual, or event) I am getting matched against 2-3 boats that have 4000-5000 infamy. My infamy is currently at 1950 or so. How they even consider this fair is beyond comprehension.

guykakin likes this.
  14. Radar O Reilly

My matches still routinely include 3000+ players. I think my infamy is only used to limit the number of guys like me (high gear / low infamy) being in a match. it would be horrible for a 3500 boat to get a bunch of boneheads playing like I do at the moment. But it seems okay to put me in with a bunch of guys that are going to get pissed at me. I am surprised I've not seen hate messages yet.

15. envylife

That's just more evidence that it's time to scrap Infamy since it's not being properly used in ranked. Turbo is starting to suffer the same fate.

16. xBonk

xBonk Active Member

Machinist
    Yep, just thank them for caring and send them with their complaints to the complaint department.

17. Radar O Reilly

So far I’m just reading water just like when I was at 1200

I’m going to drop more infamy again and see what happens

18. Radar O Reilly

I didn’t drop my infamy. Instead I started working my quests. My infamy is neither going up or down. I’m just staying put. It appears to me I’m no longer matched up with high 3500+ boats so there may be some infamy limits to matches

I still think the infamy system is broke. Not match making. The failed release of the new infamy scoring system is evidence Rovno knows the infamy is a broken system. They need to fix it because of leagues and bonuses from being in the league.

My thought on fixing this is keep it simple. If my infamy is low and my team wins, base my bonus on the disparity between my teams average infamy and mine and perhaps the other teams infamy. Don’t try to evaluate each boats contribution. I think that is what went wrong in the failed attempt to fix infamy. Simple is easier to implement and people want be scratching their head trying to understand how the fudge it works.

That is, if I’m winning in games against much higher infamy rewarding me accordiningly. If I lose a game against much higher infamy, don’t penalize me much. Then, if I win against a team with less infamy, I don’t get as much reward as I would against a team with higher. Losing to a team with lower infamy should hurt more, bigger infamy penalty. I thInk this would be a good start to fixing infamy

Aether_Zero likes this.
  19. envylife

Be careful what you ask for. You probably saw Rovio's recent failed attempt at individual infamy adjustments? It was so nonsensical they had to revert it within a day or two.

IMO the only real solution to infamy perform matchmaking in a very tight Infamy range, with NO other adjustments, then balance by ship type. problem solved. In other words, don't even allow matches where Infamy has a 2000 point spread... or if you do, don't adjust Infamy. It's, again, nonsensical. The whole league system is nonsensical if they can't get ranked matchmaking to make sense.

20. Radar O Reilly

I've been working a guild quest, losing games, infamy is now below 500. I just was matched against 3700 infamy. I sunk him for the win. :D

Rhummy likes this.