1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Comments of 4.3 update

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by yellowocean, 18 Feb 2019.

1. yellowocean

yellowocean Well-Known Member

The latest update of the Bay hits right in time for Valentines!
    Let us know what you think in the comments below and show you care by repairing your fellow captains ;)

NEW
    • Item: Repair Plasma, launch a long distance projectile that creates a repairing area to repair your teammates over time.
    • pretty good new healing item, has distinct tactical pros/cons versus the other healing items. i hope devs won't apply the self-healing nerf for fixers for this item since the fact that you have to stay in a small area to maximize the heal points is already a big risk for the fixer.

• Feature: Tie breaker: In case of a tie when time runs out, the team that is capturing wins the battle. i think there should be a minimum percentage for this rule to take effect, probably 50% progress minimum for the capturing team to win in case of tiebreak. (or maybe at least 25%? it would be so cheap if a team wins a tiebreak on 1% capture progress)
    • Crates for Gold this is okay for beginners/low-tier players, but basically useless for higher level players, the probability of getting epics or even rares from these crates are so low that using gold for parts/pieces and ship upgrades is a way better use of gold.
    • Common and uncommon crates can now be bought with gold (good but again, not really useful for higher league players where even T5rares hardly make an impact anymore)
    • All captains get a free uncommon crate every 24 hours in addition to the free common crate every 8 hours! (great for low-tier/beginners, almost useless for max out/high tier players, note that the crates no longer give a chance for legendary parts/pieces, so the notion the crate rewards aren't really better)
      The main reason we added crates for gold is so that it is much easier to get duplicates for evolving your items! (with additional items diluting probabilities, this update doesn't really help that much, why not just charge more gold or other in-game currencies for players to be able to acquire the items that they really need instead of being continually frustrated with getting items they don't want/need at the moment?) maybe add sidequests for players to complete in order to earn tickets that will allow players to buy a specific item using in-game currencies (e.g. gold/sugar/ stars)
    • please consider allowing players to buy duplicates at the item shop, with prices gradually increasing for each successive duplicate purchased OR by earning special tickets from quests/chievements that allow a player to buy a duplicate item from the shop.
    • i think players should be able to buy full epics using gold: make a special tab in the shop for random generated full items every few hours, like the shop in the good old days.
    • bring back epic crates and maybe legendary crates too... random generated in the shop (captain level, infamy, league level affects probability)
    • remove power cells... there is just no use for this item except to annoy players
    BALANCING
    • Standard Mortar +6% damage (fair buff)
    • Ballpark Mortar +8% damage (fair buff)
    • Standard Torpedo +7% damage (no comment yet, but i think standard torpedo will out shine swift and tritorp once it's maxed)
    • Gatling Gun +10% damage (not necessary, the bigger issue with galting gun is you usually die by the time you finish the whole clip, best adjustment is to increase fire rate for gatling gun, max 1.5 seconds to finish a clip, make it more like a minigun)
    • Mine -10% damage (i would have preferred a longer activation time, like additional 2-3secs instead of the damage nerf)
    IMPROVEMENTS
    • Improved Star Crate in the hub (i don't feel the improvement at all, please consider players having better chances of getting higher rarities based on captain level and current league level, if ace/nightmare players are guaranteed only uncommons, then it's useless, i think players who have reached the higher tiers of infamy should be guaranteed at least a rare item, with the number items currently, it would still take quite a lot of luck to complete a desired set from this giveaway anyway)
    • Star crate is moved to the hub
    • Star crate gets better every 10 captain levels (max cap level 50, guaranteed uncommon item, please... how cheap can you guys be?)
    • Star crate can only be earned once per day (from 150 max stars per day, we are down to 15... wow, just wow, the regression is impressive)
    Why?
    • Makes this daily reward feature more visible to everyone
    • Less grind for more value! (less grind for more value, what value?)
    FIXES
    • Minimap displaying wrong map
    • No next battle button in casual mode (you might want to put a "next" button also for events)
    • Ship icons facing the wrong way
    • Items showing in result screen in HCTDM
    • Command button not showing up during countdown before a battle
    • Replay playback crashes
    • Combat hud showing wrong ship icon for players
    • HCTDM event description spelling
    • Long range mortar descriptions and icons were showing range buff instead of damage
    • Nightmare 1 borders are using the grey color

GigaBeard, envylife, benguin8 and 8 others like this.
  2. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

Lol my thoughts exactly! Great review!
    I'm dying lmaooo

3. Agile Vanguard

Agile Vanguard Well-Known Member

Random Battle Bay player and tuber.
    Less grind for more money :p

4. Nikkie!

Nikkie! Well-Known Member

Baaa, I’m a pig (I am out there!)
    Stalk stalk stalk

Congrats on your 1,400st message!!! F511CA62-0725-479E-BD23-165E10280E46.jpeg 7518CF83-A010-46A2-88DE-687FF1B0D568.jpeg

5. Su-57

Su-57 Well-Known Member

Artist
    I was about to share same points on Discord . mainly about removing power cells and if players can be able to buy copies of items in the shop . this will improve the game so much . right now some player just feel tired about wait to get copies of item randomly . even if someone get copies for one item in 6-12 months they are mostly stuck by powercells .

because now there are lot more items so making progress based on rng is very difficult it was okay to have rng based progress if there were like only 15-20 items but now Battle bay have so many items so if they give us option to buy copies of items from market will be so useful and nobody will have any big advantage because everyone can buy copies of items . so it will be almost equal for everyone .

GigaBeard, Earel and RACK STAR like this.
  6. Agile Vanguard

Agile Vanguard Well-Known Member

Random Battle Bay player and tuber.
    Nikkie! likes this.
  7. yellowocean

yes, i totally agree with you...

i've been playing since june 2016 (although legendaries came out after global launch in 2017) and have bought several containers myself but have never had the luck to get enough duplicates (including the free leg achievement) to build a T3 leg item that i want. now with several new items added, the probability gets even lower. just frustrating really.my highest tier legs are a T4 turbo and a T3 nitro... i don't have a red leg item beyond T2 at the moment, the closest i have is my seldom used blast cannon which i'm about a couple of million damage points away from getting my free leg blast cannon.

8. yellowocean

Hey Rovio,
    Do you really wanna make your players happy? well, here are some suggestions that are guaranteed to get you some lovin' from the community...

1) event rewards:
    • The Good: a wide variety of special hybrid perks to give your items that extra stat boost that can mean the difference between victory and defeat (e.g. repair bolt cover perk, torpedo burn perk),
    • The Bad: requires insane amounts of grinding to complete unless you have the money to buy the coins to keep on drawing the leg perks, F2P players who want to complete even 1 cycle of the leg perk reward would need to give up significant chunks of their real-world life to get these rewards
    • The worst: after all that grinding, you still have to pray to the battlebay Gods that they would give you the leg perk that you so desperately grinded for, most of the time, you get something you don't really want or need *sniffsniff
    • IF Rovio cares: bring down the requirement even further, currently leg event perks require 800 coins, now that would approximately require 11 hours of actual battle time (assuming you average 5 coins per battle and 4 minutes per battle) at 11 hours versus the average event duration of 72 hours (3 days) then that's 15% of your time which translates to about 3.7 hours of continuous play per day, that's just too much grinding for most players.
      • OR bring back coin carry overs (honestly, making coins expire after each event is douche move, not to mention increasing the price for perks from 20 to 60.)
      • OR how about this, 500 coins to get random leg event perk, pay an extra 300 coins or 800 total and you get to choose a specific leg event perk (well, knowing how stingy you guys are you will probably make it at least 1,000 coins), if you do this, i promise you, more players will play the events for sure. more players playing means matchmaking would be more precise, improved matchmaking makes more players happy... more players playing means higher probability of IAPs so that should make you guys happy, everybody wins.
    2) Guild rivalry raffle rewards,
    • The Good:
      • gives players a reason to be in guilds.
      • lots of freebies if your guild is active, an active guild can usually complete up to board 4 without using boosts, moresoif you have generous guildmates
    • The Bad:
      • a lot of useless rewards specially for high tier players (powercells anyone?, please remove this nonsense),
    • If Rovio cares:
      • put reward tiering depending on a player's captain level, league level and/or infamy level (you might also want to consider number of battles played as well)
      • beginner's will see commons, max captains should no longer be seeing uncommons and maybe rares too... or have much higher probability for higher rarities appearing.
    3) items (acquisition / upgrading)
    • The Good:
      • lots of variety specially for weapons (red)
      • the recent additions are quite intriguing (plasma is very useful)
      • item balancing has been for most updates spot-on and well done
    • The Bad
      • your item progression depends so much on luck, lucky players can complete a set in as quick as a month while the unlucky ones could take up to 18 months or more just to complete a set (Tier 5 max)
      • several obsolete items: (standard cannon needs to go, napalm too, carronade needs some tweaking ever since the agility update, repair box might need to go to)
      • powercells must go, they just frustrate everyone
      • item combining is totally random, with no option for re-combining, all that painstaking grind to complete 10 pieces and then come up with garbage *tsk tsk tsk
    • IF Rovio cares: (these suggestions don't necessarily have to happen together, just listing all possible options that devs can consider to improve item progression)
      • better reward system (4.3 update said rewards were improved, i'm definitely not feeling it), more chances for full items, leg/epic pieces
      • give players more control over their progression, reduce RNG and install more mechanics that allow players to acquire the items/parts/pieces that they want/need
      • allow re-combination (1 free per combination, additional should require costs (gold/sugar/pearls/stars)
      • more pieces/parts when scrapping (and more powercells if you're not gonna get rid of it)
      • allow rarity progression - players should be able to "evolve" their common items to uncommon and so on, items evolved this way should have a little statistical advantage (a T5 epic that was built from a common should have a little bit more stats than a T5 epic that was already an epic to begin with.
      • offer more packages, in fact, you should have one whole tab in the shop dedicated to packages/deals/promos, from $1 packages to $100 packages
      • VIP benefits - lots of options to improve this (the $10 a month subscritption fee is a complete rip-off, devs don't even chat on the vip room anymore)
      • trade tickets (earned via game achievements, cannot be bought using pearls or money, extremely rare, allows player to trade with a player for an item of the same level/rarity
      • add legendary achievements for yellow, blue, teal items
      • shop should have a tab for full items (randomly generated up to epic, random leg pieces only), items can be bought for gold/sugar/stars
    lots of suggestions to help Battlebay a more fun experience....what do you guys think?

GigaBeard, benguin8, skv1256 and 6 others like this.
  9. Sidd gamer

Sidd gamer Active Member

Is really
    good

10. SlayerofSergeants

SlayerofSergeants Well-Known Member

Just a note, I am begging my raffle draws to land on power cells. Epic power cells are in short supply and this is one of only a few ways to get them.

Speak for yourself. Napalm has it's uses. I love my standard cannon on defender, constant firing rate filling the cooldown gaps left by the heavy hitters.

Yes, get rid of powercells or give us more epics.

Overall good ideas. Thanks for contributing.

GigaBeard, Sidd gamer and skv1256 like this.
  11. xArrogance

xArrogance Well-Known Member

I'm probably in the minority here, but I don't mind the 75 stars being reduced to 15 since you can buy the other 4 star crates in the shop with match gold (or how many ever crates you want) ...

But my biggest issue is that after grinding out 1600 coins this week ... I didn't get a single perk I wanted (even with buying all perk boxes), didn't level my interceptor/reaper, and have no gold to speak of ...

Every bit of gold went towards parts for the few random uncommons I'm leveling out of boredom (and in anticipation of a forced change to multi-ship HCTDM).

Anywho, I easily spent 20+ hours playing this week and have nothing to show for it - other than a few leveled uncommons that I may never use.

Is it a huge deal ...?

Not really ..

It makes it easier to not care about playing when you're burnt out and never got that high from earning something worthwhile.

In the interest of keeping players (and keeping them happier), I would change perk box prices to 20 coins and double (or quadruple) current event and ranked gold rewards ...

But that's way too easy of a solution...

12. Earel

Earel Active Member

Good ideas on the paper)

Sidd gamer likes this.
  13. yellowocean

14. yellowocean

15. Silverchris

Silverchris Active Member

Sadly to me, everything that was done in last update now smacks of desperation on devs behalf to gain money for a dying game. So called improved star boxes are decreased my potential daily item gains, stars not always working for guild quests ruins any chance for some guilds competing etc shows devs don’t care about players, only the decreasing profit margins, yet if they did what players are asking for, long term profits would increase as people like me would start spending money on game again.

Like the ideas put forward in this thread just think he’ll has more chance of freezing over than most of them happening as devs ignore forums now.

Sidd gamer likes this.
  16. yellowocean

yes, i feel the same, i feel like devs have lost their way in terms how to improve the game... putting too much focus on generating revenue by constricting rewards thinking that players will be induced to spend more if they are stuck with their progression... i'm willing to stake my account that if they try at least 50% of the suggestions i said in this thread that they will see good improvements in player base, player activity as well as IAPs. they haven't even touched on the potential of a referral system like giving players rewards for inviting friends to try battlebay... we can even take it even further by rewarding players more if the players they invited spent money on the game... there are a lot of alternatives for them to generate revenue without limiting the progress of players. a lot of players refrain from spending as much as they can on this game simply because the things they sell has more chances of disappointing players rather than satisfying them... just take the epic container for example, the regular cost of one epic container is around $30 USD, it only guarantees 1 full epic item and 1 leg piece, you can't even choose the color of the leg piece nor the full epic item, now how is that enticing to potential buyers? for those who have loads of money, it's okay for them, but rovio is missing out on tons of revenue from budgeted/moderate spenders who want to know exactly what they are gonna get before they buy something. even the special deals are frustrating, pay 3000 pearls and get a chance to get 1 of 4 possible items, that's still crap coz you only have a 25% chance of getting the item you want. VIP is also underwhelming, why don't they add aesthetic upgrades in exchange for pearls or money? like custom color schemes or skins, or special body kits for each boat? i'm all for giving advantages to players who are willing to pay up but devs should also keep the F2P community happy with a progression scheme that allows them to remain competitive against the wallet warriors.

maybe devs are cooking up something, they haven't really been transparent with data like how many active players are there right now? so i do hope they will right the ship soon,

Help I Cant Swim likes this.
  17. xArrogance

xArrogance Well-Known Member

I agree with your sentiment .. and think they would be welcome changes .. I'm suggesting a compromise - changes that require the least amount of re-coding possible and benefit both sides.

Star Crates
    I don't remember how the original star crates worked, so I'll take your word for it.

I was just saying that compared to the 75 maximum you could earn per day in the most recent version, I prefer being able to purchase additional crates since you can't earn stars through events. And, you can buy missing stars with pearls - FYI. I think it's 120 pearls for 15 stars; (obvi not worth the cost).

Event Perks
    I honestly wouldn't mind if they jacked up the price to 2000 coins per legendary perk .. but, purely for balance reasons, they should change the perk box price to 20 coins or dramatically increase the epic chances.

It's 750 on RNG average for an epic perk now and 800 for a guaranteed legendary perk .. Changing the perk boxes to 20 coins would make it a 250 coin average per epic perk.

I've never had an issue with players buying a slight advantage with legendary items (or perks). But, there is simply no way to balance an item when there is such a large difference between the same item with 4 perks vs 6-8 perks worth of event perk bonuses (and uncommon/rare perks are NOT a viable alternative for most perks).

Lack of Gold

Screenshot_20190220-072718_Battle Bay.jpg
    I don't think part availability is as large of an issue as part cost right now..

If I bought the best value (largest) part packs: upgrading L21 to L22 (+15 HP) would cost 228k for 1000 uncommon, 400k for 400 rare, and 605k for 50 epic parts .. or 1.233 million in gold and I'm still short on parts.

That's more than 3 hours of grinding gold for a max captain, NML 1 player (so I couldn't imagine how long it takes for other players) ..

Yes, you get free parts naturally, but they're an insignificant amount compared to the cost of upgrading.

So you're not really seeing the rewards for playing there either .. Endless grinding for little (or no) rewards is mind numbing.

It seems like the game economy is based off the no-life grinders .. so even buying a VIP subscription wouldn't fix the issue for those like me that can't play 10 hours or more a day.

Anywho, I'm struggling to find a reason for playing more than 1-2 matches a day .. since playing 50+ isn't really increasing my progression in any meaningful way.

Last edited: 20 Feb 2019
    envylife, benguin8, Earel and 2 others like this.
  18. yellowocean

totally agree on all your points...

how you feel right now is not so different from many of the players i know including myself, i still play regularly simply because i really enjoy the gameplay despite the currently bad targetting system.

it does literally take hours and hours of gameplay just to get significant progress on 1 item alone, if you want consistent progress, you practically have to spend around 3-4 hours a day grinding away... the event reward alone requires significant daily game time to even have a chance of reaching the 800 coin threshold and when you do you still have beg lady-luck to give you the perk you want. i once had the misfortune of getting 3 straight legendary carronade perks (damage range hybrid) when the perk i really wanted was for my big torp (fire damage leg perk).

vip subscription underwhelming, $10 monthly fee is, for a lot of games, already grants permanent vip status. devs should rework VIP subscription and incorporate a ladder system, where players can unlock better vip perks as they level up their vip status via pearls or whatever in-game currency there is...

they should also ramp up their special deal packages, and have a wider price range.

currently, if you are purely F2P, it would take you just under 2 years to fully upgrade 1 ship with all T5 epic items equipped (that's assuming you play around 2-3 hours a day which i think is above average time spent playing the game), the last time i saw mikka's ship probably around 3-4 months ago, it wasn't even maxed out yet so that's a good benchmark for progression rate of a casual gamer in BB, his boat has been around since beta days. that progress rate is too slow for a lot players which, i think, is one of the major reasons why we keep losing active players... many are getting tired of the endless grind with no clear progress to look forward too

Earel and xArrogance like this.
  19. yellowocean

@xArrogance by the way, now i know why i hardly see you in battles nowadays... hope to see you more soon... always fun going against you

Nikkie!, Sidd gamer and xArrogance like this.
  20. Help I Cant Swim

Help I Cant Swim MVP

Lots of great stuff in this thread. I can't go through all of it, but I'll just offer my quick 2 cents... I definitely feel like progression actually got worse in 4.3.

I'm getting less star crates, which leads to less uncommon parts. My stash of uncommon parts used to never go below 20k. Now I'm almost out. The reason for this is because I'm not going to spend my valuable gold on a star crate that I used to get with a resource (stars) that couldn't be spent anywhere else. I need my gold to buy rare/epic parts from the shop. They should have allowed us to use sugar to buy these uncommon crates.

Overall, 4.3 was a great update. The balancing was very good. The change in the star crates is actually more grind for less value.

And don't even get me started on this ridiculous tie-breaker. Here is an example of how awful it can be....

My guildmate and I turned a Ranked 2v3 against a Shooter, Interceptor, and Fixer into a 1v1. I would have easily bested the Interceptor, but time ran out. And because he fled over the capture zone, he won with only 3% CAPTURE COMPLETED!!! And then I went and watched the video... and when time ran out, he wasn't even in the freaking zone!

[​IMG]