1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

couple questions on current state of items

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Alpakaa, 19 Feb 2019.

1. Alpakaa

Alpakaa Member

Student and part-Time Alpaca
    I've heard people say that the Tesla Bolt and Repair Box Launcher items are outdated, underused, useless, heavily nerfed, underpowered, etc. I was wondering exactly why. Like Tesla Bolt, or stun gun, as I like to call it. TB hasn't received a nerf or update as far as I know for a while. Then again, I hardly see anybody use it at all. I could only guess that's because people don't realize the value of getting an enemy out of the game anymore and just hit them, breaking the stun instantly?
    As for repair box launcher, I love this item. It's just so satisfying to use and leave out in strategic places. However, I've heard a lot of people say repair bolt is significantly better in almost every way possible. As far as I know, bolt is easier to aim and use overall and has unlimited range, also is slightly more powerful than boxes. Boxes take a second or to to get to their target, have limited range, aren't as powerful, but they stay in the water for a whole minute, and can heal you too.
    Anyways, with all this considered, is it even worth it to use tesla bolt/repair box launcher in the current state of the game at all? Is it alright to sacrifice this for that or what? Is it just more of a matter or preference?

Sidd gamer likes this.
  2. JoshW

JoshW Well-Known Member

It all boils down to preference and your playstyle.
    If you require self heals but don't want to use tape and pulse alone isn't strong enough that's where the box comes in.
    If you find yourself in 1v2 situations a lot a Tesla Bolt will be your best friend.

Sidd gamer and TheAntiSnipe like this.
  3. Guncaptain809

Guncaptain809 Well-Known Member

But therein lies the problem. TB is a very situational item and it’s not very useful outside of those few situations.

Sidd gamer and TheAntiSnipe like this.
  4. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

Well, I'd say that, if you wish to use a TB, you have to build a setup AROUND it, which means that the setup will have to take care of the situationality of the bolt.
    For this, there's a couple of builds, all of them available to the endgame players:

There's TB TS Nitro, but the nitro HAS to have less than 5 seconds of CD and the TS HAS to tank a TON of damage.

There's TB binitro / TB nitro OB (this was the conventional mk5 build). Both builds have two problems.

For the first one, I'll talk about the slot wastage. Pre-3.2, this was a mk5-only build. For one main reason. Mk5 speeder had 3YYY. Mk6 got 4YYY. So when 3.2 dropped, people stopped playing it.

For the second one, I'll have to explain with a video:

This is an oldie, which shows one of my first games in a mk5. The main reason TB is underused is the turret agility update. Why? You may ask. Well, we used the time it takes for a turret to swivel to cool down the TB for a second run. OP? Yes. OP now? No. Nerfed? You bet.

This Is Me, Sidd gamer and Djradnad like this.
  5. Djradnad

Djradnad Well-Known Member

I think you are missing the most important thing, which applies to both of these items.. repair bolt removes stun and frost. This means if there are 2 fixers on your team, they can’t just stun the bolt user and leave the box user alone and unable to hold up the team. Also, when a bolt hits a stunned target, it not only removes the stun, but heals them also in one shot.

So stun is bad because even if your team doesn’t shoot the target that your aiming for, the unfriendly fixer will break the stun.

Box is bad because not only can you not help you team against frost or stun, you also are relying on crits, which either don’t occur, or occur on a player that was near full hp, also it’s range puts you in harms range, and it’s slow speed/sitting boxes give the enemy time to target/mine that area.

Sidd gamer, Sewah and TheAntiSnipe like this.
  6. Su-57

Su-57 Well-Known Member

Artist
    as a Shooter i found fixer with Boxes very useless . because most of the time they dropped boxes in a situation where if i move to pick one i will get a hit from unfriendly same time ..and it happened in Midnight cinema map i have to move in capture area to pick one to heal my self and i got a shot .
    i rather like fixers with Heal Bolt who can heal me from little distance because sometimes have to move at front to deal dmg and also to cover fixer .

Sidd gamer and Djradnad like this.
  7. Mimmel

Mimmel Member

I used to be a rapair box user for a long time, but stopped using it and scrapped epic lvl 40 one. I saw many occasions, boxes were not picked up, my teammates died while my box was flying in the air. After switching to double pulse, I managed to become nightmare. However, I recently see some good fixers in higher level, like 5000+ infamy use a repair box. They must use the box very clearly and I sometimes wonder if my decision scrapping the box was wrong.

Sidd gamer likes this.
  8. Agile Vanguard

Agile Vanguard Well-Known Member

Random Battle Bay player and tuber.
    1. Tesla bolt was actually nerfed quite heavily in its cooldown
    2. I don't agree on repair bolt, but I believe repair box needs a huge buff. Or a nerf to repair pulse.

Sidd gamer likes this.
  9. Guncaptain809

New stun item would be great.

This Is Me and Djradnad like this.
  10. Agile Vanguard

11. Stelmo

Stelmo Well-Known Member

Tesla bolt is still one of the most powerful items in the game, and still has many uses.
    Total healblock against the ridiculously overpowered duct tape in a game seeing a surge of double tape reapers, turn a 2 vs 1 into a 1 vs 1 or a 1 vs 1 into an easy win, zap the shield off of the speeder attacking your fixer leaving him open to attack..
    There's little more satisfyingly sadistic in the game than stunning a burning enemy and leaving them to die.

I pick my bolt over my tesla shield every time on speeder.

12. Guncaptain809

Sidd gamer likes this.
  13. Djradnad

Djradnad Well-Known Member

Tesla bomb..

Sidd gamer likes this.
  14. Aether_Zero

Aether_Zero Well-Known Member

I would have so much fun trolling with that....

15. Agile Vanguard

And has many other uses such as distracting unfriends so a fixer can escape, drawing attention in a 2v1, and saving ships from 1 hit deaths.

Sidd gamer likes this.
  16. NathanaelK

NathanaelK Well-Known Member

Anyone out there…? :(
    There is a BB Subreddit. My in-game tag: #GDHYNGJQ
    I still have a thing for Repair Boxes, but it's more around putting like four Mines inside them than anything else.

I used to use them normally, but got sick of my friends going out of their way to use them while they were at full health. The item is very susceptible to people who think that's funny.
    It's also becoming more obsolete with the addition of Repair Plasma, which heals multiple people and can't be "used up" by a specific player.

As for Tesla Bolts, they can be good, but only in some scenarios. Like Repair Boxes, they are susceptible to players who are completely apathetic about everything going on around them, and don't see a problem with breaking a Stun with a Gatling Gun.

Sidd gamer and Djradnad like this.