1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

A question for battle bay experts

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Rhummy, 25 Dec 2018.

1. Rhummy

Rhummy Member

Hello Battle Bay,
    I have a few questions that have perhaps been asked already in the past. If you have a link to a thread that answers one please post it!
    1. Is there somewhere where I can read about the matchmakimg process or what is it that determines matchmakimg in both events and normal battles?

I ask simply because I guess I feel like something is not workimg either with my configuration of ship or whatever. I have the distinct feeling that I am always matched with weaker players in thevent (yes I am a level 50). I end up losimg a vast majority of event battles for this reason. Is there something I can do about it?

Thanks Battle Bay experts!
    Rhummy

2. xArrogance

xArrogance Well-Known Member

Other than the devs, no one knows exactly .. but you can make some educated guesses based on what you see and little hints dropped by devs.

Google "Elo" or "Glicko" rating system for a technical explanation. BB uses some derivative of those systems to assign you a hidden player rating to match and/or balance ranked matches.

I haven't paid attention (or tried to manipulate my event matching) lately, but it's probably still using your captain level as the initial filter then it matches or balances teams based on your hidden player rating.

The point of those systems is to keep games as evenly matched as possible. Otherwise, the majority of your games would be large blowout wins or losses - and those matches get boring fast. The vast majority of players have a win percentage around 50% regardless of items or skill.

The downside for consistent, skilled players is that it'll always feel like you're carrying your team in wins. And, for a few dozen or so players at the top of the ranked ladder, the matches will get so insanely lopsided that you (or your fleet) will have to do 90% of the work if you're going to have a shot at winning.

If you care about integrity and principle more than winning, then there's no much you can do in events other than equipping your best damage dealing loadouts to maximize your coin rewards. In ranked, join better and better guilds, fleet with better players, and you'll eventually find an infamy level where you're not always the top player (... probably).

If you care more about winning than integrity, I've given 3 or 4 ways people manipulate ranked matching in other posts .. and you can probably figure out the ways I didn't mention. As a high Ace player, those would probably get you in the top 50 of NML with a good fleetmate.

To clarify: I may not be willing to intentionally lose matches, but I fully understand why others do .. If there's no cap on your player rating, then eventually matches will become impossible to win .. and if others are still pushing higher, and you want to keep up, then you're going to have to find a way to make possible for you to do so.

Last edited: 25 Dec 2018
  3. Rhummy

Rhummy Member

Thank you very much. I appreciate the very comprehensive reply.
    From what I understand from your reply, I have a feeling that the situation that you have described is exactly my case. I have to really concentrate everytime I play because about 80% of the time I am matched with very weak teammates.

I guess this will just make me better!

As well, at some point I may get lucky with the rng and get the weapons I have been waitimg for. After playimg this game sin e becore the global launch I still don't have full t5 epics of most of the weapons that I really want and need. Makes one begin to consider that the rng is not so r....

Anyway, hope you have a nice holiday season!

Rhummy

Mad_Bulls_007 likes this.
  4. Yomama!

Yomama! Member

The matchmaking is shit. I am going on 3 years of playing. Us OG players have begged and begged for a change. They won't.. Unless you drop grands on this you won't last long. Sorry to say ‍♀. The game rewards pay to win players. If you pay to win you will be matched with dope players. If you're a loser like me who only pays 10$ a month for 3 years (which I guess ain't shit to them) you will mostly be matched with noobs who can't tell their head from their ass. You'll also notice the enemy always having someone to heal them while your team gets jack shit.

Very sad but very true

5. Nicolas

Nicolas Well-Known Member

Negative!

Agile Vanguard likes this.
  6. Nicolas

Matchmaking is purely based on infamy - team infamy not player infamy.
    Matchmaking is the same for all players no matter if you are a f2p or a p2p. Otherwise, we wouldn't have f2p players in top10.

7. Yomama!

Yomama! Member

Lol yea it's not based on anything important
    Screenshot_20181227-121915_Battle Bay.jpg

Sidd gamer likes this.
  8. envylife

envylife Well-Known Member

Haha... if you find that formula let me know. I'm also Captain 50 with very low event win rate.

EventMatchmaker(tm) does something strange with max captains with low gear. Until recently we were matched against the best players in the game even though their GS was +2000. Now, the Gear Scores seem to be matched much better, but the last couple of events my win rate is dismal... maybe worse than before, and I cannot pinpoint why other than consistently bad luck. My teammates consistently believe that respawn has no negative impact on match results because I'm frequently losing without dying... but my luck can't be consistently that bad.

Yesterday I won a match with 3 Fixers on my team vs 3 Shooters+1 Enforcer+1 Defender. We can ignore my 5th teammate, died early. If you die early with 3 Fixers on your team, you need to re-think what you are doing.

Nikkie! and TheAntiSnipe like this.
  9. envylife

Your information is mostly incorrect...

Event matches use a combination of Captain Level (primary) and Gear Score (secondary).

Ranked matchmaking uses Infamy (individual first, and Team second)... sprinkled with some other magic.

Sidd gamer likes this.
  10. Nicolas

Sorry, my information is correct. I was only addressing ranked.
    -- WarHawk

11. envylife

Your statement is still not entirely accurate in context of Ranked, because it does use individual Infamy constraints. Team Infamy, as the balancing of sides, is secondary to the individual Infamy selection.

Sidd gamer and TheAntiSnipe like this.
  12. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

NML, lv47 when I got there, all ships lv47, two pieces of gear at epic t5. F2P. You DO have to carry because it isn't easy getting to NML with all the advanced players on the enemy team, you have to cross blades with the best. But definitely VERY possible for an F2P.

Sidd gamer likes this.