1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

The Devs are taking updates too fast.

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by NathanaelK, 14 Dec 2018.

Tags:
?

Who agrees?

1. I do.

43.5%
  2. I don't.

56.5%
  1. NathanaelK

NathanaelK Well-Known Member

Anyone out there…? :(
    There is a BB Subreddit. My in-game tag: #GDHYNGJQ
    Basically, I'm worried that the devs are adding content too fast and that this game is going to become impossible to win.

Is anyone else worried that the devs are taking the updates too fast? In the past two months, we've seen the addition of three new ships and a new item slot colour, and Mks have become Levels.

I'm worried that this game is going to become like Angry Birds Transformers - countless ships, each needing 49 upgrades, and so many items that no one out there can say they're anywhere near beating the game.
    (Angry Birds Transformers has at least eighty characters now. Each one can be levelled up to Level 15, which takes a lot of work, and can then be "Overpowered" up to Level 50 with the spending of more currency than is reasonable. The only people who actually have all characters at Level 50, as far I know, are hackers.)
    Maybe I'm the outlier, but I don't want Battle Bay to become a game with that kind of progression. I'd prefer to have a game where every new ship/update was something new and special.
    I personally don't think the devs should add content more frequently than every 1 - 2 months.

Do you guys feel the same way?

2. BattleRascal

BattleRascal Well-Known Member

I agree that 3 new ships in such a short period is too fast. But I think everyone here agrees that something is amiss with Rovio decision making in BattleBay, so right now, nothing they do would shock me.
    In a previous world (pre agility update).
    The ideal update schedule that would have given me confidence that the developers have confidence in their game is do at least one update per month with one BIG item, and several smaller improvements
    For instance:
    Month 1: NEW WEAPON/ITEM along with smaller balances/features
    Month 2: NEW MAP along with balances/features
    Month 3: NEW SHIP along with balances/features
    Month 4: Major quality of life improvement, fix lots of bugs, more guild features, more game features
    Month 5: Repeat the same schedule

And as Zeus stated in the Discord Q&A when asked about polling players for their input on update features:

"While this sounds great, having a community driven roadmap is not something to strive for. There can be no consensus, and you cannot reach or force each player to respond to a survey or poll. While in theory it sounds amazing, the reality is much different."

So asking what features we prefer in future updates is NOT a goal of theirs. Such a bizarre answer, I am not sure what business school that is taught in.

3. Su-57

Su-57 Well-Known Member

Artist
    they are not from business school . they are not event doing any marketing of game . they don't even bothered to upload Guardian ship video on Youtube as they did with Interceptor . its look like this game is just a side project for them or now just doing some experiments .

ShipCrusherCz and Sidd gamer like this.
  4. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

I think it would be best if you quoted the question that was asked as well:
    Screenshot_2018-12-14-21-24-59-542_com.discord.png The answer may sound vague, however I think what he meant to say was that adding the sort of poll the person suggested(I think it was @KINGIVANOV , or was it @Agile Vanguard ?) would not give decisive, unified answers, leading to situations like, "I voted for a new weapon, devs added a new ship, devs don't listen".

I think that, if players want something added and they are in consensus, the devs will add it in time. It has been seen to happen quite a few times before.

5. envylife

envylife Well-Known Member

#1 rule in business: Listen to your customers
    #2 rule in business: Listen to your employees

It's obvious Rovio doesn't do that.

I was excited about the new content, excited to see new boats, get new strategies, but the rollout of Interceptor was horrid, got worse with Reaper, and for a short time seemed positive with Guardian and new items, but then it hit me... already having progression issues with the existing 5 boats and 34 items, the massive nerfing of progression that came with new ships and items was like a slap in my face. It feels like an end-of-life money grab, and without #1, I have no confidence this game will improve in the future.

To be clear, I have no problem with introducing new items as fast as they want, but it should have come with progression improvements rather than nerfs, otherwise this is all like dangling a carrot on the end of the stick... I'll never get to use them, so they are dead to me.

6. BattleRascal

BattleRascal Well-Known Member

The point of community polls is not to have a unified/decisive answer. It's a poll in which the most respondents choosing what they like wins. Not everyone responds to polls, but I'm sure if they put a message in everyone's "In-Game Mailbox", they would get several thousand votes. The point is to keep people engaged in the game they have invested so much time in. Asking their customer's feedback is one of the best ways to build a strong community and give people a sense that their opinions are building the game. This in turn would make people feel more comfortable spending money on their progress within the game. I can't imagine any marketing expert would disagree with asking for customer feedback.

This is the first mobile game that I have ever devoted more than a month or two to playing so I want nothing more than to see it succeed and to keep enjoying my addiction to BattleBay. I am so close to reaching my goal of 4000 infamy, so hopefully I can do that before the end of the year.

7. Agile Vanguard

Agile Vanguard Well-Known Member

Random Battle Bay player and tuber.
    Yes, I asked the question. It would be great if we could get some communication so the community won't complain as much. Strange answer indeed. People not answering the polls won't be a problem. Their loss when the update comes out as what they didn't want. Also couldn't they show the percentage of what people are voting for so that players don't think they are being cheated?

8. Agile Vanguard

Something to consider: people complain the Devs haven't released an update in ages then complain about how fast the content gets added after an update.

CaffeinatedChris, Sidd gamer and Fish like this.
  9. Fish

Fish Well-Known Member

That was exactly what I was thinking. Devs can’t win.

Sidd gamer likes this.
  10. envylife

Devs can win by making the new ships and items achievable by most of the bay, so that we can fully integrate them into the game before 2020.

11. TVNPryde

TVNPryde Well-Known Member

The problem is not the new contents. The problem is the attainability of those contents. New players needs at least 2 years and insane grinding just to finish training and get all ships max with VIP. Without VIP, that almost an additional month worth of ads. Remember that you have to wait for the battle to end just to watch ads too.

12. NathanaelK

I think a system like that would work beautifully — enough updates to keep everyone waiting, but not so many that progression gets out of hand.

That's the problem with polls in general. But there's no way around that short of forcing the poll on everyone, and that would just make more people mad.
    I personally think an in-game poll would give players a greater sense of involvement. @Agile Vanguard put it right — it people aren't voting or sharing their opinion, they can't be upset it the update doesn't go their way. If it works for democracies, it ought to work for the Bay.

Hopefully the addition of new content will get better with time. We already saw that when Guardian was introduced and made upgradeable with Gold instead of Ship Pieces.

Exactly.
    Good luck!

The thing is, if a player could beat the game in a year, Battle Bay wouldn't be doing as well as it is now. People need the things to work towards. The key is having a satisfying enough progression that people don't give up too quickly.

13. GrizzlyMoose

GrizzlyMoose Active Member

It just dawned on me. The reason that they introduced the new ships. $$$$$

Think about it. The whales probably have all their ships at lvl 50 loaded with t5 and captains fully trained, so their spending probably slowed down considerably

Solution add 2 new ships that required constant grinding or $$$$$ to purchase or upgrade.

They then noticed that the moderate spenders ( which I was before reaper ) weren't spending as much and were canceling subscriptions.

Solution add another ship that could be bought and upgraded with gold to hopefully entice moderates to spend more.

I am think that they may be looking at other games and how they have achieved increased revenue.

It's so sad that greed is going to kill this game.

14. Agile Vanguard

The reason why I don't spend money is:

Say I'm in a situation where I keep getting losses and need to gain infamy. If I spend money, sure I progress faster but then since you progress faster you are gonna find harder opponents. What I'm trying to say is that you don't improve when you use money and you are gonna have the same situation later. Anyway, if you maxed out everything, the game isn't fun anymore.

ShipCrusherCz and TheAntiSnipe like this.
  15. TVNPryde

You can’t beat Battle Bay because it’s a pure MP game. Those whose can win first in NML are very few. What rhe devs did was alienated the whole player base to service the few. Most game can be completed in less than a year. From then on, skills take over to separate the players. How long is it going to take the NM players to complete the now ships now? That’s just insane.

16. NathanaelK

That might be a factor, but I don't think it's the only reason the new ships were introduced. It seems like players had been asking for them as well. We can't accuse the devs of greed if they're doing something we asked them to.

I never thought of that. It's an interesting point.

By "beat", I was referring to the idea of having every item in Legendary rarity, at Level every ship at Level 50, and all item training maxed out. But you're right — players can always trying to finish at the top of their league as well.
    I don't think they've alienated "the whole player base yet". I'm not a spender, nor am I in Nightmare League, and they haven't alienated me yet.
    However if they keep introducing ships and items as fast as they have, I wouldn't be shocked to see people giving up.

Agile Vanguard and GrizzlyMoose like this.
  17. envylife

Yes! This is too important not to reiterate. Even if all players had the same gear, Battle Bay is still fun and competitive.... and this is where you introduce Tournaments to keep players engaged. I don't want to play a game of dangle-the-carrot for years, I want to test my PvP skills without being hampered by gear (i.e., lack of spending thousands of dollars). If this game continues down the road of dangle-the-carrot, as it's proving to be so far, then boredom will set in very soon for me.

OTOH, PvP never gets boring, as evidenced by endless Team and Individual games such as Fortnite, CoD, SOCOM, Halo, Counter Strike, etc. No progression in any of them, yet all older than Battle Bay and all still going strong.

18. ScrapKing

ScrapKing Active Member

Before 3.0 everyone complains about slow update

19. TVNPryde

I no longer feel spending is worth it as you gain very little progress for few hundreds. Now I only spent on VIP as I still play the game so I am paying for the service. If you spend on this, you still have that to worry about. RGN for duplicates already make progress slow. Power cells make progress worse. Now come the insane cost to train and upgrade ships. There should be some progress on certain fronts. Can’t all be slow.

I was in NM but no longer care for it. It’s a game and the joy is in the battles. Better gears only match you with players of better gears.

ShipCrusherCz and TheAntiSnipe like this.
  20. ScrapKing

ScrapKing Active Member

Yes

Last edited: 18 Dec 2018
    envylife and GrizzlyMoose like this.