1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Slot Points Conversion and Slots Enhancement

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by ShinkuMoon, 11 Dec 2018.

Tags:
  1. ShinkuMoon

ShinkuMoon Member

Let me introduce these two mechanisms first and I will explain their expecting perks and flaws.

Slot Points Conversion:
    Within one type of ship, slots point conversion would allow the player to convert (2) slot points of any color into 1 point of another existing color in that ship, e.g. 2 red into 1 blue, or 1 red + 1 blue into 1 green. Also, just to clarify, the slots themselves must be remaining untouched, meaning players cannot convert into points to add extra slots nor consume points so that the slot number of a color is greater than the points of that color (e.g. fixers cannot use their only yellow point into conversion resulting a yellow slot with 0 point. This can only be performed (1) time for one type of the ship.

Slot Enhancement:

Within one type of ship, slots enhancement would allow the player to consume (2) slot points of any color and enhance 1 slot. The gear equipped in the enhanced slot will have its upgradeable effect boosted (x1.5) but cooldown increased (x1.25). This can only be performed (1) time for one type of the ship.

Alternatively, the enhanced slot would allow the occupying gear to have effect trade-off of any kind - shorter cooldown but longer range, smaller AOE but longer duration, etc., but it sounds pretty hard to code and balance.

All the numbers in brackets are suggested to be able to bring most variety without breaking the game but can be changed to address balance, just in case I missed something. Still, I find "nerfing" (e.g. increase the consumption of the converted points from what I suggested) would likely render the mechanism completely useless, occasionally.

Also, there should a few exceptions. The only one I have come up so far after looking at all the items is that yellow points cannot be increased (but can be traded for other colors) because of telsa shields. I don't think triple-bubble enforcer or bubble reaper would be enjoyable for the other team.

I had this idea ever since the slot point of repairing bolt was bought to 1 from 2 but was hesitating since this change would alter the balance too much on lower tiers. However, with the ship tier gone and balance issue sorted out finally, I think it is mature enough to be presented here.

One perk of these mechanisms is that, when a player has limited gear options, it is still possible to make full use of the slot points without any waste. This would encourage new players a lot as well as free the limitation for high-end players when they have 1 slot point requirement legendary item but 2 slot points left within 1 slot. Another perk, of course, is to amply the customization potential and allow even more builds. One major reason that has kept BB in my phone for 2 years is its freedom in building and I think if there is more opportunity to make it even better, then this is certainly one way. Also, these add-on features do not move the fundaments of the game, so we can ease the mind worrying about losing players due to drastic changes.

The one disadvantage, however, is the balance. One case as I addressed above is the bubble, but it might not be a problem at all with the trade-off in other colors. While we probably can only know the results from practice, I admit it is a bit worrying. Also, the coding would be difficult too, compared with the smaller tweaks suggested by the community. Yet, I have witnessed the devs making players' wild dreams into reality (like the teal barrier shield), proving the devs have the guts and wits to achieve, so I might as well throw these ideas out and see.

---EDIT---
    Clarified missing details/restrictions that were thought to be clear without addressing. Credits to Skirra08 to point them out.

Last edited: 11 Dec 2018
    Aether_Zero, JoshW and Mad_Bulls_007 like this.
  2. Skirra08

Skirra08 Well-Known Member

I kind of get it but I see at least one unintended consequences. Shooter is 8RRRRR4BBB and Interceptor is 6RRRR1Y4BBBB so under your idea I could convert my lvl 48 shooter to a slightly slower (1.5 vs. 1.62) Interceptor with quite a bit more health (2,400 more hp roughly) by changing my shooter to 6RRRR1Y4BBBB. I'm pretty sure that would kill the Interceptor because you could have basically the same boat, if not a bit better without worrying about ship pieces. Also, I didn't specifically check but I bet you could do something similar with Fixer to turn it into an OP Reaper or Defender into OP Guardian.

TheAntiSnipe likes this.
  3. ShinkuMoon

ShinkuMoon Member

Sorry for the confusion. There was just one word missing in the description - "existing". You can only convert points into existing color of that ship.

TheAntiSnipe likes this.
  4. Guncaptain809

Guncaptain809 Well-Known Member

This seems confusing and unnecessary.

5. Skirra08

Skirra08 Well-Known Member

Well with that change you've fixed the issue I had, but I think it's too complicated and could still result in OP ships. I wouldn't want to tangle with a 4 weapon shooter that had a big shield, standard shield, turbo, and bandaid. Which I'm sure would be the number one setup under your plan (unless it was 2 standard shields over one band-aid and one standard shield). I mean either one seems unkillable.

6. ShinkuMoon

ShinkuMoon Member

Well I guess this is another missing point... I thought it was clear that only the slot points are susceptible to changes, not the slots themselves. I will clarify it again xD. Thank you for your review!