1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Game Quality (non-score matches vs scored matches)

Discussion in 'Bugs, Issues & Inquiries' started by Spartacus, 10 Dec 2018.

1. Spartacus

Spartacus Active Member

Fresh off of the heals of the 5+ day 5v5 Guardian TDM, plus after regularly playing the other ones, I notice a significant differnce in gameplay. When playing hundreds of the non-scored games, I rarely experience lag, my shots generally go where I aim, and my ship doesn’t feel like a lethargic sloth. However, as soon as the non-scored game ends, and I resume playing the scored games, it goes back to the schizophrenic gameplay quality that up until now, I, and maybe others, have been confusing for poor matchmaking, in-game balancing, lag, etc. It’s like 1 game works well, followed by 3 where no shot effects the other team, and my ship barely has the power to crest a wave. Both game types were played from the same locations and rock solid connections.

Can someone please tell me if they also notice this. If so, why would there be such a dramatic difference in the quality of gameplay between scored and non-scored BB games? I mean, I love BB, however, playing the scored-games, right after the non-scored is so infuriating that I feel like waiting until the next non-scored match becomes available.

TheAntiSnipe likes this.
  2. fragglelator

fragglelator Active Member

Hmmmmm .. have noticed something similar to what you mentioned. Some games, the ship can barely move through the water (feels like it's struggling to get up to speed) while in others, it moves much more smoothly.

3. Spartacus

Spartacus Active Member

I mean, for over 1-year now, I have experienced these issues, which myself, and others have theorized to be intentional “balancing”, etc. The devs denied this, but then why were we experiencing this. Now, after playing enough of the non-scored matches, it’s starting to make perfect sense, and yes, something is really off. If scored BB matches function like my experience of the non-scored, I would never complain about any performance issues! The question is, why is there such a difference?

Why is my same device, in the same location, rocking a few hundred non-scored games, in over 80% of them, I was dishing out more damage than any other player. But now, hours later, in most of the scored-games, I can barely hit what I am aiming at, and my ship acts like it’s dead in the water. I am more than happy to post screenshots so it doesn’t appear that I am exaggerating!

4. MiracleMax

MiracleMax Member

This problem is especially bad the last few days. In addition , game also crashes, freezes more often. And forget about matchmaking, it seems there are 5 boats randomly thrown on each side with no matching logic. The strange thing is that if rovio stops using any logic for matching, then why does sometimes it takes 1 to 2 minutes to find a match?

5. Spartacus

Spartacus Active Member

Here is what was really strange, up until this morning, I was playing the remaining 30-min of the 5v5 Guardian TDM, which was working perfectly fine, no issues whatsoever! The very first scored-gamed that I played within minutes of the 5v5 Guardian TDM ending, was problematic, and continued to varying degrees throughout the day. This has been my general experience with scored-games, lots of in-game issue, Why is that happening? Especially since the preceding 5-days of Guardian TDM was all-around working great, just like the majority of the non-scored games that I play.

6. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

I felt it too, however, I can say confidently that it is not what you think. In TDM, you get that respawn boost on the shooter, and also, there's always a fight brewing, so your aim stays on point. Also, when you do miss, you're too busy engaging another target or readying another round.
    The only thing you can do is adapt. I have played more than 500 games of the Guardian event in my shooter over the course of the last 6 days, and what I can say is that it gets better. Give it some time, get a good friend to fleet with, and you'll climb just like nothing ever happened.
    Personal experience, I dropped 100 infamy this morning, then played a string of fleeted games, got back on track, and went all the way up 400 infamy.

Scourge Argaen likes this.
  7. Spartacus

Spartacus Active Member

Hey there, good to here from you, and happy holidays. I get what you’re saying, and my concern isn’t the infamy (i’m less than 10 wins from breaking 4k), It’s the gameplay, and its super obvious when going from hundreds of non-scored immediately to scored. I mean seriously, the ship lost its maneuverability, and my 30-77k per game has fallen to 3-11k. I wish you could see the difference in aim/hit, and mobility, its night/day!

By the way, the win/loss ratio under TDM was also around 50/50, so that’s not the issue, but the gameplay itsel was dramatically different!

TheAntiSnipe likes this.
  8. TheAntiSnipe

I seriously think that this has to do with how TDM and Ranked are fundamentally played. In TDM, nobody cares about positioning, it's mostly killkillkill. Even enforcers sometimes forget to dodge over their attacking. Also, ranges of attack shorten by A LOT.

I mean, sure I've seen the difference you speak of, I basically choked in a game on Destruct 9 earlier today where I missed an enforcer at point-blank(my fleetmate was super disappointed :D) but looking back, I wasn't playing conservatively enough, while my opponent was clearly playing a patient game, denying me shot angles for all he was worth. As expected of an NML player, I guess. But I digress. My point is that the skillsets for TDM and Ranked differ a lot from each other and although latency DOES have a part in missed shots, or "unregistered hits", the close "knife fighting" you see in TDM does give the illusion that lag doesn't exist.

9. TheAntiSnipe

On a less related note, has anyone noticed that the vertical compensation causes shots to sail over the heads of enemies when it wouldn't have done so in the past? We should get more attention and evidence of this problem to the devs.

10. Ash KOT

Ash KOT MVP

100% this is an issue, whenever I am close to an enemy the shot misses and I have great connection.
    I have to manually lower my shot (how we lead a shot but vertically) and it still misses sometimes :(

RACK STAR, Nikkie! and TheAntiSnipe like this.
  11. Spartacus

Spartacus Active Member

With my granade launcher, if I’m climbing a wave, and the enemy is close, no matter how high I aim, sometimes it’s showing my aim point as right in front of me, then I fire and obviously it goes way over my wave, into the distance.

TheAntiSnipe likes this.
  12. Spartacus

Spartacus Active Member

Here are the results of my last games before, and immediately after the switch from TDM to scored... I am “flyhighone”, and something is not right.

Attached Files:

13. Spartacus

Spartacus Active Member

Here are the remaining...

Attached Files:

14. Spartacus

Spartacus Active Member

I wish BB would always have the following games available for play: TDM 2v2, 3v3, 5v5, CTF 5v5, and lastly 5v5 scores games. I would enjoy this so much more, and would mostly be playing the non-scored 2v2 and 3v3 games without complaints!

And,to address the question of this thread: what’s the major differences between the non-scored and scored games??? For example, selected server locations?

15. Scourge Argaen

Scourge Argaen Well-Known Member

@TheAntiSnipe @Ash KOT I can vouch for this. The game has no issue moving the turret horizontally but where the unfriendly is on a higher elevation the reticle doesn't move vertically without manual intervention, hence shooting above / below the ships.

Ash KOT and TheAntiSnipe like this.
  16. Spartacus

Spartacus Active Member

This latest TDM is still Mitch Bette than the scored games , no question about it, but nor nearly as consistent as the original one I was mentioning when I started this thread. It looks like the win/loss balancing that we see must be server selection, although, I need to examine this further, for example, winning team member locations vs server location. Does anyone know where the different BB server locations are, I want to create a spreadsheet to see if this theory adds-up?