1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

An estimation of time to explain why the coin expiration is bad.

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by ShinkuMoon, 17 Nov 2018.

Tags:
  1. ShinkuMoon

ShinkuMoon Member

Firstly, I would appreciate the frequency of events happening right now - I like the gear score matching system (despite of some gears are terribly calculated) as a break from matching with people with 2k more GS in normal mode. However, the coin expiration is nowhere near friendly as it used to be.

So here is an estimated calculation to demonstrate the point of the title. Keep in mind this applies to most players who do not buy coins with cash.

Assuming start with 0 coin when the event begins and the player has decent skills with corresponding gears, with conventional/ no-selfish playstyle (suicidally aggressive to end the match faster), and there are only two fixers at max during the match, it usually takes ~4 min on average per my experience. Taking into the account of waiting time as obviously less players do events with the coin expiration implemented, which is about 10 to 20s, and the ads watching time for non-subscribed players, it is about 5 min per match in total.

The average coin earn for a match is usually 7-9 per win and 3-5 per loss, again no foul play assumed. So let's say average 6 coins per match as most of players have 0.5 winning rate.

And here is why the expiration is bad: To get the 900 coins for a top prize chance, a player need 150 matches on average, 5 min per match, which results in 750 min (12.5 hr) of play time. The events last 2 days roughly so a player needs to play at least 6+ hr per day to make full of the coins before they expire.

In the past, the coins rolled over and players can choose to accumulate them on their own paces while enjoying a different matching system, occasionally grind a bit to get certain top price that help with gear progression. Right now it feels either pointless to play if the top prices are not as hoped, or uneasy about the grinding it needed to get the price.

You are welcome to point out the subjective mistakes in the formula. And if you do, share your calculation too.

2. Zxyqu

Zxyqu Member

I will jump on this train, as I just tried to go for 900 as well given some time off on a trip at work. The shear problem with the 2 day format and 900 coins is the continuous grind. It took me around 9-10 hours of game time across the two days, and my fingers are sore. I'm a higher level player, so I was lucky enough to average well more than the 5 suggested here. I'd have to guess that mine was closer to 7 coins per game, but the math still works to be ridiculous in terms of requirements. It's honestly a money grab as most people wont get close, and the cost for the perks isn't astronomical. Even adding an extra day still forces an extreme grind, and one that to be honest is for really mediocre payouts. I farmed 900 coins in a week, and didn't unlock either new ship, and got a perk I already have...

3. Blitz

Blitz Member

I understand that it costs a lot to operate a game and you need to make profit but you are seriously being a d*ck here. At least you need to make sure that the coins we spent accumulate. At least you need lower the amount of coins required to buy perks. 100 coins per perk? Compared to the past event, this is too much and it is too much obvious that you are leading us to buy coins.
    Rovio you are pushing users aways. I am an idiot to keep playing but I am not sure about the others.

4. JoshW

JoshW Well-Known Member

I've had some thoughts on this as well. Why not let coins rollover for the shorter events and have them expire at the end of the week. Or at the very least let our coins spent towards the legendary box keep their progress.

I'd be ok with either of these options as they would allow more casual players to actually earn something for their effort.

XQT, Sidd gamer and ShinkuMoon like this.
  5. ShinkuMoon

ShinkuMoon Member

These two are more practical I guess. Rovio keeps its money grabber at some point while the grinding is less unbearable.

Sidd gamer likes this.
  6. JoshW

JoshW Well-Known Member

I saw a thread recently about the Q3 financial stats and it looked like the bottom line was suffering. My best guess is that the agility update drove a lot of players to quit the game and this recent update was to try and bring them back while introducing new ships that are essentially pay to use to try and increase the revenue stream.
    What you're seeing as a money grab could be two things. They are trying to squeeze us for everything they can before the game dies or they are just trying to recover and will revert back to the old ways once their bottom line improves.
    Sorry for going off topic here but it was relevant to the conversation.

Sidd gamer, ShinkuMoon and This Is Me like this.
  7. EyeOfDoom

EyeOfDoom Well-Known Member

Meh, the boat has all sailed now. Someone tell me what's the point of getting legendary perks or even upgrading items when there is no progression at all. I mean, What's the point?

Sidd gamer and TheAntiSnipe like this.
  8. ShinkuMoon

ShinkuMoon Member

Off-topic as it is, but even after the community diminishment the game is still playable and very unique among mobile tank MOBAs. In this case, I consider BB still holds its potential and as a community member it is also in my best of interest to improve the gaming experience.

That being said, swallow as much salt as all you want but don't spread it, at least not here.

9. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

Amen to that! BB is super, super unique. A dynamic battlefield, boats, guns, bite-sized maps, fast matchmaking and fast matches... Great for those who like to grind hard sometimes and just play on the run sometimes.

Sidd gamer and Redneck Messiah like this.
  10. JoshW

JoshW Well-Known Member

Absolutely unique, nothing like it on the app stores or even consoles.
    I would absolutely love it if they managed to make a version for Microsoft and Sony and it would be even better if they could let you transfer progress between console and mobile.