1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Event Matchmaking, redux

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by envylife, 20 Nov 2018.

1. envylife

envylife Well-Known Member

After being in one of those long head scratching double digit losing streaks I had to step back to determine why... and it stands out like a sore thumb. My fleetmate got so frustrated with the losing streak they simply logged off the game..All I really ask for is fairness, or at least better randomization so that we get sporadic fair matches to balance out ones like below.

Side 1 Gear Score: 13,436, 10,739, 8,674, Total: 32,849
    Side 2 Gear Score: 12,402, 13,074, 11,125, Total: 36,601

bb.png

Do better Rovio, please. Captain Level matchmaking is really the worst metric you could have come up with.

2. Craigjnoble

Craigjnoble Well-Known Member

This event seems to be the side with most explosive cannon wins.

The match making is terrible, I have had to take to playing the fixer to win games after a massive losing streak in a more fun ship. what do I get in return, 6 coins as I do only 3k of damage as again healing isn’t counted. So let’s ignore the 40k of healing that accompanied the damage I did which made the total score 6-2.
    Where as the idiots I am keeping alive get a larger share of the coins.

I would run another ship if I had enough power cells to level up the items I need for it.

BattleRascal likes this.
  3. Roberto West

Roberto West New Member

This is a classic fixer issue, the system doesnt count your healing work, only the damage matters
    So, when you win with the fixer you will get the minimum ammount of coins

4. BattleRascal

BattleRascal Well-Known Member

First off, I am glad they have a 3v3 event. I was completely burned out of 5v5 deathmatch. The 3v3 games are faster and easier to earn coins, so for this I am happy, even when I'm getting pummeled by teams with much higher gear scores.

The matchmaking is still so BIZARRE. You would think in a 3v3 event it would be easy to find 6 people of close(within 500) gear scores in the same battle. NOPE.
    I am typically always the lowest gear score in the battle(around 9500) and in many games my team or the enemy team has 1 or 2 players with 11,000 or 12,000 gear scores. This event, the matchmaker doesn't even seem to care about balancing out the gear score between the two teams. Usually if you look at player profiles at the end of battle, you can determine why one team or the other won and the losing team had almost no chance.
    Again, I am not complaining about this being one-sided, because sometimes I am on the winning team and sometimes on the losing team. It's just bizarre that the game can't put players of closer gear score together, especially with so many people playing events(my ONLINE friends list last night was longer than I ever remember seeing it).

I found this true also. I was working on a fixer quest so I played around a 9000 gear score fixer equipment and went on some nice win streaks(assuming my team stuck together and played smart, we were unbeatable).

What's Up Player likes this.
  5. Craigjnoble

Craigjnoble Well-Known Member

Yeah it’s been a problem for a long time. I have discovered that if I just take my firebomb and t1E flare gun on my reaper I get the same coins as my fixer regardless of the outcome due to all the fire contributing points you get. Plus the games are faster, so over all it’s more efficient to have the quicker losses than longer drawn out wins.

6. Ser Tomaz

Ser Tomaz Active Member

It can not be perfect every battles since different amount of players ATM. But if u count in average of all battles, I believe u I'll find it reasonable

Flint and Help I Cant Swim like this.
  7. V__

V__ Well-Known Member

This event is so bad and basically just another Shooter favoured events. Every games i played i would have 1 guy rushing like crazy and die 4,5 times, the other guy stays at spawn and fire every firebomb he could ever have meanwhile im confuse AF and dont even know what to do.

Confuse is the current state of the game, so many people saying that this game is dying and it will die soon, im still having a slight hope of the game changing to a positive, balance and fair way so everyone can enjoy but no, it let me down more and more

What's Up Player likes this.
  8. Help I Cant Swim

Help I Cant Swim MVP

https://replay.battlebay.net/XZJNBWYK#CSJHXMPW

That is probably the worst matchmaking I’ve had in any event for a very long time. All 3 of their players had equal or significantly higher gear score AND infamy than our team. Whew that was rough.

9. This Is Me

This Is Me Active Member

I dont understand why an event like this needs mine.
    A small map with hardly any exits and entrances, and hardly a place for speeders to squeeze in and attack.

10. JoshW

JoshW Well-Known Member

The matchmaking is very odd indeed.
    All 6 players were within 1 captain level and 1k gearscore yet we had 2 ace league players and a warrior against a master and two warriors. The skill gap was very obvious and likely the reason we were victorious. Check it out here: https://replay.battlebay.net/XSZCJLFH#JXSFJGCB

I'm not sure what the cause is but having ridiculously lopsided teams isn't fun gaming experience no matter which side you're on.

This has also raised a question, how does event matchmaking by gearscore work with the new ships? Maybe this is throwing off the algorithms or the developers overcompensated when creating the new events.

11. envylife

envylife Well-Known Member

I wound up getting the Legendary perk in this event, and in retrospect, the string of 20 matches leading up to the matchup I posted, seemed to be a minority case, as I never felt quite as overpowered as I did in that stretch of games. I'm a canon heavy Shooter, so it is my type of event as long as GS is within 1000 of me, it's the 12.5k+ players that are tough to deal with. I did see more, but it was the exception and I'm perfectly fine with that. Once I had @YSL and yorkeN on my team, @YSL being a Fixer, and we would have gone 6-0 had I not died in the last 2 seconds. Everyone in that match was full T5E outside of me and @YSL's T4L healing bolt and a T4L BC, so overall GS wasn't as lop-sided as the match I posted. Fairly impressive healing and damage dealing from that Fixer! :D

Speaking of which, let's go Ship by Ship
    • Fixers are fairly decent in 3x3. There's definitely a winning technique and loadout because some were unstoppable while others didn't fare well.
    • Speeders could also be very successful in 3x3, where they struggled in 5x5.
    • Double Bubble Enforcers were tough to deal with, but it never seemed out of hand.
    • Defenders tore me up quite a bit
    • Shooters were the most common
    • Interceptor / Reaper - still too weak to be effective anywhere.
    Overall 3x3 is a very solid event which seems to encourage teamwork more than the 5x5 did. Players seemed to pay a lot more attention to each other, only needing to track 5 others in a small map, but I do think smaller teams encourage better teamwork.

Best of all, mines and Napalm were never an issue! This was so much more enjoyable to play than the 5x5 TDM because of that.

PS: To be clear, the primary reason I grinded for the perk was because I was on vacation.. under normal circumstances even the most favorable of events remains unrealistic for 450 coins/day weekday event.

BattleRascal likes this.