1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Reaper: The basics of the "Frankenstein Boat"

Discussion in 'Strategy Discussion' started by TheAntiSnipe, 7 Nov 2018.

1. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

Alright. Let me get straight to it. Before I start off with everything the reaper is, I want to make absolutely crystal clear what it is NOT.

The reaper is NOT a vanguard with selfheal. It is not anything resembling a tank class. Stop treating it like that, and you'll have better games.

The reaper is, to my knowledge, also NOT a ship you'd heal others with. The whole combat medic role is unsuitable for it. Using a bolt completely ruins what little hyper-delicate balance it has.

So what is it?

The best way I'd describe it is, imagine this speeder:

3RR 3YY 2BB

To those of you reading this article who are familiar with the pre-4.0 era ship "mk" system, you'll remember this ship as the iconic "mk4" speeder. I for one have very fond memories of this ship, and I'm sure many of the OG speeders will too. It was a dream to handle, the four slots were perfect, and it was very, immensely, maneuverability focused. I remember myself reaching 2000 infamy in that mk4... But I digress.

I want you to imagine that mk4 you loved so well. Give it the fangs that speeders can only dream of. Keep the yellow distribution, actually, lower it to a level that makes something like nitro+OB compulsory. Give it titanic selfheal. Tweak up its armor.

That. Is the reaper.

It is a midgame speeder with selfheal and relatively superb reverse. I've seen so many people stupidly rampaging into the enemy team with their leggy duct tape. Really?

Before I begin, let me show you two battles I've had with a lv2 reaper. One is a win, one is a loss. Note that I had super standard greens that couldn't possibly have helped even a Master league player(rare level 10 and 9 lol) and a lv10 epic small shield.
    Also note that these are my first two battles in a reaper.

Win:
    https://replay.battlebay.net/YKFGRCCD#SHRNBCQR

Loss:
    https://replay.battlebay.net/FHZRWGVS#SHRNBCQR

Guys. Reaper needs to be played as a sustain boat. Dish out damage. Disappear if you get shot. Come back with full HP to fight again. My win was deathless. My loss would have been had I not risked my neck to secure targets, since we were losing.

It is an ambusher, and it is a ship that will bring back your mk4 speeder memories. Overall, I see a LOT of potential with the reaper if it is used well by the right players.

I highly recommend it to TS speeders. It is really a good boat, give it a shot, it will NOT disappoint.

Last edited: 7 Nov 2018
  2. Agile Vanguard

Agile Vanguard Well-Known Member

Random Battle Bay player and tuber.
    If reaper is an assasin, where does it leave speeder? :(

Reaper, enforcer, shooter>speeder

Aside from the negative stuff, great review. Thanks.

3. TheAntiSnipe

Reaper may be able to selfheal, but it can never do the "needle in needle out" attacks speeder is known for, nor is it fast enough. It is an attacker that never walks out of the shadows, while the speeder steps into the light to assassinate.

While speeder tops the assassin class, reaper is better for ambushes and health-traps.

Actually, let me edit my OP, it is not an assassin class, it's an ambush class.

4. Nikkie!

Nikkie! Well-Known Member

Baaa, I’m a pig (I am out there!)
    Well... Good job! Amazing explanation, fpr the people who can afford a Reaper:)

I have a question: You gave this thread the name “Reaper: The basics of the “Frankenstein Boat””

Why Frankenstein Boat?
    (Is it again a name from that game where your pf is from?;))

5. TheAntiSnipe

Nope. Frankenstein is because Reaper has the attribute of being truly relentless. You know the story of Frankenstein?

Nikkie! likes this.
  6. Nikkie!

Actually I don’t hahaha

7. TheAntiSnipe

Frankenstein is a story about a scientist who "builds" a living abomination(a being that shouldn't be alive) and names it Frankenstein. The abomination then forces him to build a mate for it, and when the scientist destroys that mate, the abomination(named Frankenstein) proceeds to chase the scientist for his revenge, to the very ends of the Earth. Many times, it suffers injuries that would kill humans, but, being dead anyway, it doesn't die.

Hell of a scary story if you ask me.

Nikkie! likes this.
  8. Nikkie!

Thank you!

As how easy you tell this story now, you should almost think that this is a story you tell to 3/4 year old kids :p

9. TheAntiSnipe

Lmao:D

Though I have no idea why you think that way, I can tell you I didn't sleep for three days after reading the original Frankenstein. I was unfortunately 10 at the time and the descriptiveness scared the living daylights outta me.

As to why I was reading Frankenstein at age 10, I could not for the life of me answer that. I wasn't supposed to, but I did anyway:p instant regret afterward.

10. Undead fixer

Undead fixer Active Member

My mk 4 speeder was the best thing for me back last year lots of good times.

TheAntiSnipe likes this.
  11. Aether_Zero

Aether_Zero Well-Known Member

Not to be that guy ;)... But it was Dr Frankenstein who created the Monster (it was always known as that - the Monster) until enough people just started to call it Frankenstein. I don't think it was ever named as such in the book... Though I may be wrong, it's been a while haha! ;)
    But awesome write up of the new ship buddy, I'm probably never gonna get one, but it's good to know there's a new style of play becoming evident from it.
    Kudos sir!

12. ShipCrusherCz

ShipCrusherCz Well-Known Member

it kinda looks like selfish fixer

Sewah likes this.
  13. rexaroni

rexaroni Member

Excellent write up of the new ship - I think you're spot on. If we ever get a chance to level it to a moderate degree for a reasonable time investment (unlikely?), it will definitely be useable.

I'm working on building mine with a railgun and ex cannon decked out with critical perks. Burst damage all the way then GTFO!!

I just hope the devs give us a realistic way to level new content.

14. TheAntiSnipe

I think you're right, also it's been 9 years since I read Frankenstein so yeah:D

Nikkie! likes this.
  15. TheAntiSnipe

I think it's capable of that role. In fact, I can personally confirm that, as a health-trap distraction, it has no parallel in BB. You bring in a reaper, get shot, run for cover, selfheal, and next thing you know, half the enemy team is after you playing no attention to their flanks! I lost 3 games and died 2 times in my entire playtime of the Reaper.

So hell yeah it's selfish fixer... On a whole other level! You don't have to choose one yellow. You get two. You can play combat medic if you want, but as I forgot clarify in my OP, the reason for that is that the sustain on the reaper is too delicate to commit anything other than one pulse towards healing others.

Nikkie! and ShipCrusherCz like this.
  16. Skirra08

Skirra08 Well-Known Member

Doring the event i ran pulse and bolt on mine with pretty good success, but I was also running double rails (lvl 50 epic and lvl 10 legendary) which let me heal teammates and give them some breathing room. Without that kind of firepower combat medic wouldn't have been an option.

TheAntiSnipe likes this.
  17. TheAntiSnipe

That's what I thought too. Guess it'll still be a niché role preferred by those who have the twin rail-type DPS for it.

Nikkie! likes this.
  18. Skirra08

19. TheAntiSnipe

GG!

Your medic game is strong, you seem to have used a "latch" tactic where you stick to a certain spearhead, healing only those belonging to it initially. A very good way to utilize the limited healing capability of the Reaper.

Nikkie! likes this.
  20. Skirra08

Obviously that was cherry picking a good one but that's how I'd play it if I could upgrade it and have a playable amount of health

TheAntiSnipe likes this.