1. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Increasing respawn time is stupid

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by SupremeCalamitas, 20 Sep 2018.

1. SupremeCalamitas

SupremeCalamitas Well-Known Member

I don't think it's your business
    people camping and being pussies have ZERO spawn time, while people actually doing what they are supposed to ( kudos to you 1% of BB population) have to wait a billion years. This makes the game NOT enjoyable for those who just want to actually TRY unlike their teammates. Just set the timer to 5-10 and be done with it. I'm not gonna watch my teammates be shitty for 20 seconds whil I respawn.

_devill, flipiwin, PastelPiku and 5 others like this.
  2. envylife

envylife Well-Known Member

I understand your frustration... but considering how many players are reckless in events I'm ok with the game giving escalating punishment for dying over and over. Reckless dying is my particular pet peeve in Deathmatch, so I welcome punishment for it. For CTF I wouldn't complain if that escalating respawn was reduced.

3. ViscountSniffit

ViscountSniffit Well-Known Member

In TDM, reckless dying actively hurts your team, by giving away points.

In CTF, you could die a thousand times, and it doesn’t change the score. In fact, a bit of recklessness is often required.

I can see an argument for keeping the escalating timer in CTF, however, I strongly object to it continuing into Overtime. Overtime is supposed to be reckless, with both teams making a last ditch attempt to score, before the time runs out.

During Overtime, I don’t think respawns should ever be longer than 5 seconds, so as to keep the action and excitement at maximum, right until the end.

4. Cpt Obvious

Cpt Obvious Well-Known Member

Increasing respawn time is good IMHO, both for TDM and CTF.
    It might create an opening In an evenly matched TDM that would otherwise stay a stale boring 0 - 0.

It affects both teams, so it's fair.

I agree Overtime should be either short respawns.. OR even final death.

5. Flipscuba

Flipscuba Well-Known Member

Honestly, as a Defender I think it should be one of two things: either the reswpan timer stays at its lowest level no matter what, or it increases DRAMATICALLY with each death. Because a yellow boat that has died six times can still get back to the battle before my slow Defender (and don't eve talk about double turbos, I'm at speed cap) can even get to the damn flag. So, I would prefer it if the timers increased even more each time. But if not, then screw it, just have it as a constant chaotic free-for-all and let us get those nice fat damage numbers.

fragglelator likes this.
  6. *JAWS*

*JAWS* Well-Known Member

The concept of longer respawns.... is in itself. Illogical.
    Regular mode is about staying alive to the end.

Event mode such as Team Deathmatch Is about doing mass damage in order to destroy unfriends. That is the goal. Rebirth goes on n on.
    Ctf... is about capturing the flag. As many times as it takes to get 2 done.

People then complained to developers that some people died over n over. Thus larger respawn times were implemented.

They focussed on the wrong response.

Who cares if someone does over n over. In the game modes. Someone on your team will have to show some sort of courage or there will never ever be a point of the spear. Or a flag captured.

The person who dies over n over is already penalized with less coins. And a regular redrawn still takes them out of play for 10 to 15 seconds.

Plus if someone doesn't die...as the game intends. There can be no winner for team deathmatch. And no flag captured if no one goes for unfriends base.

Ie. The aggressive player benefits the entire team and causes a reaction. This isn't regular mode. Life is not the goal.

Dying/Capturing are the result of action
    And shouldn't be punished longer n longer. It's defies the true logic of the event.

Jaws
    @The Grim Repair

7. Cpt Obvious

Cpt Obvious Well-Known Member

I disagree, and think longer respawn makes perfect sense.
    A long even match with no-one managing to capture suddenly gets openings due to long respawn, exploit these, and you win.

And it definitely makes sense for non-CTF TDM. TDM isn't about damage, it's about kills.

I also think you're wrong about people dieing over and over and over getting less coins in a regular TDM.

8. Jerbears

Jerbears Active Member

I personally think the re-spawn timer should grow by ten seconds each death for CTF. On the small maps you have a stalemate sometimes where each team basically can barely get to the flag by the time the other team respawns. The rest of the team then dies and its a back and forth until the match is over. If the respawn was longer there would be more reward to wiping the other team early on to benefit later in the match.

TLDR: I think the re-spawn increase is well balanced and needed

9. Leuco

Leuco Active Member

I agree, it makes capping more possible if you kill their defenders, and their cap attempts less frequent if you kill their flag cappers

10. SupremeCalamitas

SupremeCalamitas Well-Known Member

I don't think it's your business
    Yeah, but those who actually DO THEIR ROOTING TOOTING JOB get punished for doing so. At the end of the day the battles become really boring because people intend to stay alive like on NORMAL MODE

11. Flipscuba

Thats patently false. A speeder will come back constantly, and in the shrunken maps he can get back to the flag in no time.

12. Leuco

Leuco Active Member

A speeder that makes a successful flag cap can immediately go for another cap attempt. A speeder that dies once trying to cap has to wait 9 seconds. And a speeder that's constantly flying into the enemy has to wait 18 seconds before cap attempts. Increased spawn timers is the punishment for reckless cap attempts, and incentivizes trying to be a little tactical and coordinated instead of "quantity over quality".

Aether_Zero likes this.
  13. SeaNavy

SeaNavy Well-Known Member

But in ctf, reckless attempts are needed. Because of the resurrection time increase, less people go for the flag and stay to defend instead, because who wants to sit out for 20 seconds straight? And because more people stay to defend, it makes it harder for the few people who are trying to capture, and then they quit capturing and go defense as well because it is near impossible to capture by oneself when all their teammates don't want to help because they don't want to die and wait for a long time to come back alive. And this causes the games to be more boring and last longer. I would be fine if there was resurrection time increase in death matches to stop people from being careless and dying over and over which might be the cause of their loss.

14. Leuco

Leuco Active Member

The other reason for increased spawn timers that I mentioned earlier is killing flag defenders leads to an easier time capping their flag, since there's less of them to defend while you grab it as you kill more of them - I think that's another good reason for increasing death timers with every death. I see what you're saying about not wanting to be out of the game for 20 seconds, leading to a more boring and more defensive playstyle, but I can't think of a better solution. With no increasing death timers, it would be a constant stream of cappers running into a constant stream of quickly respawning flag defenders.

15. Flipscuba

And in that nine seconds a Defender can, what, MAYBE get to the enemy flag before the Shooter has respawned and gotten back to my flag? MAYBE? Never mind me getting the flag, turning around, and getting back to my base.

16. Juggernaut

Juggernaut Member

Increasing respawn time is good imo, it’s not only about killing the enemy or capturing their flag, is about staying alive too, it takes no skills to sail on a straight line to capture, not even trying to dodge any torps or shots, the ones dying many times are the ones usually doing the least dmg, respawn has to be consider on the way you play. As a defender on this event, I focus on the 1st quarter of the battle on killing as many boats as I can, that way the enemy respawn is increased, focus on speeders, then go for The capturing. Even if you only want to capture, you need to at least attempt some type of dmg.
    Bottom line is if you hate long respawn, don’t die and kill them more.

17. xArrogance

xArrogance Well-Known Member

Lots of good points in the thread ...

Given the amount of coding required to come up with a "better" system, I tend to think that the current respawn timer is fine as it is.

That said .. I'll add a few thoughts

CTF
    I understand the point of view that mad rushes and risky plays to forward objectives should be encouraged ... thus timers should be kept at 5-10 seconds.

Though, I think this might make a certain issue worse.

If, however, timers were greatly increased (or paused) when your team has possession of the enemy flag - until the point where the flag is captured or returned ... this would prevent a team from stealing the flag, camping in their spawn area (as their teammates continually respawn), and forcing draws ..

I believe this would speed up games and better reward the strategic players.

TDM
    I believe current coin rewards are based purely on damage, fixing, and fire bonuses.

So, if players had a visible death count - and were rewarded for a higher Damage-to-Death ratio (or penalized for lower ratios), then a short respawn timer would be perfect.

Otherwise, I prefer something along these lines:
    5 seconds for first death; 10s for the 2nd, 20s for the 3rd; 40s for the 4th ...

A player has less time to deal damage if they are dying often, thus their ability to earn rewards is reduced. Likewise, one suicidal mine-spammer has less of an affect on the outcome. Moreover, this adds a level of strategy for prioritizing targets (rather than mindlessly spamming firebombs the entire match).

The drawback is that this would slow down matches.

Anywho, I'm usually on the higher end of rewards in either event type ... so it doesn't really matter to me one way or another ... just some food for thought.

ViscountSniffit likes this.
  18. ViscountSniffit

ViscountSniffit Well-Known Member

I like the idea of CTF spawn timers being related to stages of the flag capture rather than the game.

Having Spawn times increase rapidly, but then reset when someone scores might be a good way to stop the games stalmating, without reducing the ability of a team to equalise later.

xArrogance likes this.
  19. PastelPiku

PastelPiku Well-Known Member

Security
    Good points all around, but I'm taking the side of not increasing the respawn timer. In ranked, rushing to your death often costs you the game. In events where respawning is possible, being down a few players for increasingly longer durations is worse than a mindless rusher. If someone is going to rush into battle over and over, at least he's gonna be taking the shots for me while I fire my own weapons. He also gets more opportunities to deal more damage himself. It's a win win.

20. flipiwin

flipiwin New Member

true, because otherwise you could die for the tenth time and be out for half of the overtime

PastelPiku likes this.