1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Flare Perks

Discussion in 'Strategy Discussion' started by Will-o-the-Wisp, 18 Sep 2018.

1. Will-o-the-Wisp

Will-o-the-Wisp Member

As the happy owner of a new l50 epic flare gun I’m trying to figure out the best perks to use with it. I have duration and damage event perks that I am going to use, but I’m trying to figure out the other two slots. I am a brawler Defender, often plunging in to kill a fixer, create havoc in enemy ranks, relentlessly focus on one target (hopefully more) before I perish. For this reason I have been running two epic fire damage perks in the 2 open slots, in the “kill faster” idea that suits my playstyle, but I was wondering if anyone had any arguments, suggestions, insights for running epic duration perks instead. I’m intrigued because it is more damage overall. Thanks for any and all illumination!

TheAntiSnipe likes this.
  2. StrictSalmon307

StrictSalmon307 Well-Known Member

Professional student
    I sometimes use a rare flare in events, and I’ve noticed that with duration perks my flare can burn long enough for me to get two ex cannon shots in instead of one.

ShipCrusherCz likes this.
  3. Will-o-the-Wisp

Will-o-the-Wisp Member

Good point, should add I use a blast cannon too.

4. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

3 duration one burn strength allows you to get a higher "burst" from the flare as well as chain two salvos.
    Source: I own a L50 rare and use two rare duration and one epic burn strength. Can get off one of the shots of my second burst sometimes.

5. Will-o-the-Wisp

Will-o-the-Wisp Member

What do you mean exactly “higher burst” from the flare?
    P.S. Fwiw I only run one blast cannon, other weapon is not fire-enabled.

6. Will-o-the-Wisp

Will-o-the-Wisp Member

One thing I forgot to add, I have one of the epic event perks that gives buff to cooldown and projectile speed. I didn’t mention it and didn’t really think about it cause it doesn’t add damage, but any opinions about if any consideration be given to this perk instead of any extra normal damage / duration perk? Thanks again in advance.

7. TheAntiSnipe

Well, flare damage increases damage/tick, which increases the chances that your target will go down before their selfheal kicks in, or before that fixer gets to them.

Since I tend to clean up targets, the tiny amount of burst sometimes gets me through. But it's really up to you, since duration means you'll have more chances of healblocking a heal.

8. Will-o-the-Wisp

Will-o-the-Wisp Member

Ok, Yeah, that’s exactly why I’m going with the damage perks right now, want the target to go down quicker.
    Do you have any thoughts on replacing one of the damage perks with the “speedy” flare gun cooldown perk? Less damage but would give it a cooldown of 8.9. (And a slightly faster projectile, of course.)

TheAntiSnipe likes this.
  9. TheAntiSnipe

Lower CD on flaregun is not a bad perk at all, since it does not require you to sacrifice anything. I think you should keep one damage nevertheless

10. Will-o-the-Wisp

Will-o-the-Wisp Member

Well, the “speedy” flare gun perk requires me to sacrifice damage or duration, because it only lowers cooldown and raises projectile speed, at the cost or a damage or duration perk. I’m not sure it’s worth it.

TheAntiSnipe likes this.
  11. TheAntiSnipe

Oh ok then. In that case, it isn't really worth it unless you miss a lot. How accurate are you?

12. LotharusMaximus

LotharusMaximus Well-Known Member

I also run a lvl 50 epic flare and have done the calculations for the perk combos. Provided that you have FULL flare training in Burnice, I believe the top damage falls to the All fire duration perks. However, the margin of max damage become pretty slim once you are maximizing the perks. I run 2 epic duration perks, 1 legendary duration/coold own perk and 1 epic cool down/projectile speed perk. I opted for the last epic perk because I got it in the raffle and my cool down is now 9.6 seconds and the damage reduction was only about 140. I'd rather have the faster cool down.

ShipCrusherCz and TheAntiSnipe like this.
  13. Will-o-the-Wisp

Will-o-the-Wisp Member

How are you finding the performance of the cooldown / projectile speed perk in comparison to what it would have been, damage or duration? Do you like it?

14. Will-o-the-Wisp

Will-o-the-Wisp Member

If my accuracy was a high school grade it’d prolly be 75-80%, C+ to B-, hehe.

Although as a defender I try to barrel in a lot, so oftentimes I’m closer. Not sure the .7 seconds less cool down is worth sacrificing damage, it’s some higher level math model stuff my brain isn’t equipped to handle hehe.

ShipCrusherCz and TheAntiSnipe like this.
  15. TheAntiSnipe

If you were 40% or less, CD would be good for you. But since you aren't, I think you can afford to pass on it:)

ShipCrusherCz likes this.
  16. LotharusMaximus

LotharusMaximus Well-Known Member

The damage difference is about 1860 compared to 2010 between perks. I did have a match where a quick flare cool down won the match for me with 250 health left. I do find it useful in the events as well. I can attest to that. I'd like to have a combo range perk for it ideally but don't want to sacrifice the duration perk for it.

17. cafucito

cafucito New Member

you do more damage with time perks
    I use a T4 FG with 4 time perks, had damage perks and in comparison, time perks gives you more final damage. Also, lasting longer means your teammates could exploit their own fire perks and you will prevent fixers from a full fix repair bolt
    Time beats damage by far in my opinion