1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

The Gatling Gun is pointless (Change my Mind)

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by jhaneyzz, 4 Sep 2018.

1. jhaneyzz

jhaneyzz Member

For those of you who don't care to read the details, by thesis is:
    the Gatling gun is all but useless.
    My current boat can EASILY shed damage and heal faster than even a MAXED, Level 50, Gatling gun could do damage.

It is basically a very slow version of a Carronade.
    Everyone figured this out today when they bought one, put it on their boat and headed out...
    "WAIT!?!? it doesn't do any damage!"

No... It does damage, but remember that little thing called "DEFENCE" (yes, that misspelled word that everyone but Carronade users ignores)

Your DEFENCE value is the amount of hit points is subtracted from EACH blow from a weapon. Since a carronade, or Missile barrage is actually MULTIPLE projectiles, it affects them more.

Let's consider the following example:
    Angus the Angry is what everyone in my guild calls my Defender. Angus has a DEFENCE OF 53.

According to the weapon specs, the Gatling Gun maxes out at 71.9 HP per shot when it is at Level 50. (since cannon perks don't work on the Gatling Gun, we don't really know yet what TRULY maxed out might mean.

Angus also has a butt-load of shields because the geniuses at Rovio decided that his truly awesome set of Gear Lubes and Rudders that allowed him to tear through Speeders and Enforcers got factory recalled with trade-in coupons for Shields and bandages. Alas, poor Angus is just another carbon copy of every other Defender in the Bay now. (but that's a topic for another thread) At any rate, Angus has Two shields and two bandages. HEALTH = 14,575 and BANDAGES heal for 205 points every 5 seconds (actually, it might be faster, but that's a topic for another thread as well.)

SO, let's imagine it's a few weeks from now Yellow_Boat_007 has managed to build a L50 Gatling Gun. He JETS up to me in a 1 on 1 death match, I sit helplessly, unable to reverse since THAT has been disabled by default, and I forgot to load ANY weapons on poor Angus.

Yellow_Boat_007 tentatively shoots red hot slug of death at Angus's tough hide for a devastating 71.9 HP of damage... only... he doesn't... the DEFENCE of Angus's tough hide subtracts 53 points of damage from that shot, letting through a somewhat less intimidating 18.9 points of damage. (Angus: "IS IT RAINING? ME THINK I FELT SOMETHING TICKLE ME!")

Annoyed by this paltry damage, Yellow_Boat_007 empties the entire 15 shot magazine of red hot fury (subtract 53 points from each of those little raindrops) dealing a sum total of 283.5 points of damage to Angus's helpless belly (that's roughly the amount of damage that a L30 uncommon cannon with no perks delivers) ... Only... Angus's belly isn't helpless. Angus took the good advice of a player in the Nightmare League and leveled up a few Bandages. In the 8.5 seconds it takes for Yellow's gat to cool down, Angus's bandages heal 205 points of the damage just dealt. (actually more, since the healing timer begins as soon as the first shot hits, and it takes about 4 seconds to empty the clip - cool down doesn't start until the last shot in the magazine is fired)

A WHOLE BUNCH OF MATH GOES HERE (if any geeks want to challenge me I'll send you the spreadsheet)

Summary with gratuitous rounding for the sake of clarity:

So, if it takes 4 seconds to empty the magazine, THEN 8.5 seconds to cool down, Yellow can deliver a salvo every 12.5 seconds.

Without bandages, it would take Yellow_Boat_007 over 10 minutes of constant firing to kill Angus. (twice the length of a standard game.

With Bandages, poor Yellow can't even hope to keep up. in the 10 minutes of shooting, Angus could potentially heal 24,600 points of damage.

YOU CAN'T EVEN KILL A SINGLE BOAT, DEAD IN THE WATER, WITH NOTHING ELSE GOING ON in the length of a standard game.

W.....T......F......?????

Change my mind.

jimboto

2. ChickenSurprise

ChickenSurprise Active Member

Healing you up
    All fair points there, defence pretty much makes this weapon poor to use. You could argue that is good against speeder or fixer but they have increased agility, speed, some healing and that health plus defence perk. I also want to add that one shot from an epic level 1 repair box heals for 194 and epic level 1 repair bolt for 219, both without talents or perks.

Like other posts said increase the damage and make it pierce damage (maybe as a talent or as default).

3. Mr. Mister

Mr. Mister New Member

I agree with you guys. Also since Gattling gun is a Burnice talent so it should not be affected by defence points just like other burning weapons. Or the Gattling gun should have lower reduction due to defence points like if a defender has 50 defence points a gattling gun should only be reduced by 25.
    The bottom line is Gattling gun should be buffed in some way.

4. jhaneyzz

jhaneyzz Member

in some MAJOR way...

5. Capt. Jay-Adams

Capt. Jay-Adams New Member

I like this alot , they ruined the game with new update

PallabKumarS and ShipCrusherCz like this.
  6. Nathan Carlson

Nathan Carlson New Member

Personally I love the new weapon idea, It just needs to ignore defense. I'ts horribly underpowered right now, but it's probably gonna get a buff.

7. OurTeamIsNoob

OurTeamIsNoob Active Member

Just fix agility guys

8. jhaneyzz

jhaneyzz Member

Now that the Gatling gun can punch through Defence...
    I would like to quote the infamous Rosanna Bananadana: "Never mind."

TheAntiSnipe likes this.