1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Firebomb or Napalm?

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Sholie19, 21 Aug 2018.

1. Sholie19

Sholie19 New Member

which is better if I want to choose one to work on?

2. StrictSalmon307

StrictSalmon307 Well-Known Member

Professional student
    It depends on your ship/play style, but most people go for firebomb.

3. super_sonic181

super_sonic181 Well-Known Member

I'm a Napalm User.... but i know how Firebomb feels like... so i'll state both of it's feature then you decide...;)
    Napalm:
    With Napalm you can easily control the movement of the ships. You can event split the team and go for the ship who is alone. You can hide your mines in it . If you throw a napalm shot on any ship then a torp it has 80% chances that torp will hit that ship cause enemy can't see that coming and when they do it's too late for that. It does More dmg compared to Firebomb (Note: Overall dmg of Firebomb is higher just cause no ship will stay for longer in ring of fire plus the duration of firebomb is much higher). Napalm works fine on every ship thou Enforcers are not recommended cause of 2 slot point needed for Napalm to place. The Most fav part of Napalm to me is it can stop group aggressive ships . For example 2-3 ship together targeting a particular ship then throw a Napalm on them and they lose their track.

FireBomb:
    High Range, so you can sit back and burn your enemies from far. Long duration which means if you have Epic Firebomb which does 40dps then 40*18=720 total dmg(excluding some crit dmg in it) so you see sometimes it becomes too op! Plus even a ship is at the edge of the radius it takes min of 6sec burn which i hate it personally. Wiith talents you can even increase it power and Max out a Firebomb to do 80-90 dmg per sec which just :oops:
    Negative point of it is Defender with High Shield takes Lower dmg (i hope you know how shield not HP works).

Nam_Nam and TheAntiSnipe like this.
  4. Joey who

Joey who Well-Known Member

Firebomb 100%

Help I Cant Swim likes this.
  5. Sholie19

Sholie19 New Member

Wow thanks for the great explanation!! Yeah I am primarily a shooter player at mk 5, seems to me from a damage standpoint FB is better, but like you said napalm makes people move. Kinda like FB for the burn duration and fire damage perks for cannons... still kinda torn

6. Ash KOT

Ash KOT MVP

Currently have an Epic Level 40 firebomb on my shooter. waiting on 1 more dupe for T5.
    It is one weapon I would 100% use on a shooter. Easy to hit, great damage, and more stars / coins through contribution in matches.

The only down side is Brock's talent tree which makes you choose between big shield and fire bomb training.
    I have kind of done a 50 / 50 split, mine now ticks for 80 damage for 20 seconds, so 1600 total, cant wait to go T5!

Nam_Nam likes this.
  7. Dilligaf

Dilligaf Member

I thought that the shield only affected the first tick of damage, all other ticks were at full damage. That's how it appears to work with flare gun.

super_sonic181 likes this.
  8. ShipCrusherCz

ShipCrusherCz Well-Known Member

defense only reduces splash damage and point damage (cannons, railgun etc.), not damage over time
    the initial damage of flare is reduced because it is considered as point damage-but only the impact
    then it is damage over time, which is not affected by defense

9. What's Up Player

What's Up Player Well-Known Member

Why not both? :rolleyes:

10. super_sonic181

super_sonic181 Well-Known Member

Then this shield is pretty much useful against Rocket Launcher....

Last edited: 24 Aug 2018
  11. Stelmo

Stelmo Well-Known Member

Especially useful. Also carro

super_sonic181 likes this.
  12. Help I Cant Swim

Help I Cant Swim MVP

Firebomb is definitely the better choice. Napalm is good. Whatever RNG gives you is what you should use, but Firebomb is the best mortar weapon right now.

Nam_Nam and TheAntiSnipe like this.
  13. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

Though FB is the best mortar out there, I have always been partial to napalm. It was my first epic weapon, and I used it on my shooter mk4, to hide my big torp, and before the enemy could recover, sniping them. Sure it wasn't the best, but I guarantee you this: You may have high damage and high star matches with FB, but with napalm, your team will LOVE you, whatever they use. People FEAR fire, and napalm scares the living daylights out of people. They miss things like mines and traps, and tend to miss a lot more due to lack of vision. I've seen people running double napalm+mine+BC+EC to great effect. They just ravage the enemy tean with a constant stream of napalm, with mines in it, and should anyone dare to enter the napalm, it's almost certain death.
    BUT firebomb, with its bugged radius and duration, is waaaay better if you consider numbers. It's scary, but imho, it lacks the psychological effect of seeing the entire map on fire.

Nikkie!, Nam_Nam and ShipCrusherCz like this.
  14. wcc634

wcc634 Member

I have a lot of experience with both: firebomb was one of the first weapons that I was able to level up to rare T3 and T4 when I was getting started in Battle Bay, and it was on my shooter every battle for months and months. I agree with what everyone has said--it really is an awesome weapon. Good range. Huge radius makes it easy to land. There's nothing like being able to hit a clump of unfriends and set two or three boats on fire at the same time for 15+ seconds. Lots of residual benefit from teammates hitting them with cannons for burn perk damage. As a damage-dealing weapon for a shooter, it's a no-brainer. The only drawback, as Ash KOT mentioned, comes from the not-insignificant conflicts with shields in Brock's talent tree. So I suppose you might think twice if your loadout was all cannons and carronades for short- and medium-range fighting and you were trying to add one mortar for a little balance. The reduction to your shields might then outweigh the benefits of the firebomb. But that's unlikely.

Napalm, on the other hand. Napalm was the first epic weapon I got, way back when. I immediately leveled it up to 10 and used it about half a dozen times and then took it off and didn't use it again for months. I hadn't discovered these forums yet and I had no idea how to use it effectively, and I had lots of other better options at that stage of the game. I didn't scrap it, though, and I looked at that level 10 epic napalm in my inventory every day for weeks and even months, I guess. I finally got a dupe, and so I looked at two napalms in my inventory every day for weeks more. When I finally got a third, I didn't have any other pressing epic leveling to do, and I started to sink some resources into it, even though, honestly, I wasn't sure I'd ever use it much. And I still didn't, even once I got it up to 30. Somewhere in there, though, I discovered the forums, and learned how it could be used effectively. And it sounded different and interesting. So I started using it, and after a week or two got the achievement dupe, and then took it up to 40.

I would recommend you do something along these lines, too. Yes, focus on the firebomb, but keep the napalm and, even if you don't use it at all, work on it little-by-little in the background when you've got a few resources to sink into it. Because once you do get it leveled up and start using it, it's a revelation.

Firebombs (as well as pretty much every other red item) are much better at doing damage than napalm, but I'm convinced that napalm, leveled up and used properly, is much better at helping your team win. In other words, you can do more, I think, to positively influence a battle with napalm than with firebombs or anything else. What everyone else has said is right--people don't like fire, and they do whatever they have to do to get away from it immediately. It's a heady experience to be able to stop an entire team in its tracks by laying out a huge napalm pool in front of it. Or, conversely, dropping one on top of a group and sending them scurrying in different directions like cockroaches when someone flips on a light. That's power--to cause multiple unfriends to instantly drop whatever they're doing--including exchanging fire with your teammates--and go as fast as they can for the nearest edge, regardless of the strategic implications of their new location. And that's if they can go fast for the edge. Brother, get your epic napalm up to level 40 and 300 dps and you can cook lumbering shooters and defenders who are stationary or in an awkward area with walls or rocks to negotiate.

Like nearly every weapon, there are circumstances where it doesn't do you much good. The complete lack of short-range and burst damage makes it dangerous to carry on anything other than a shooter, in my opinion. Some maps are more conducive to its use than others. Some battles just don't shake out in a way that lets you use it to near full effect. But stack it with range perks and, as often than not, you can dictate much of the flow of most battles. I don't think it was a coincidence that my infamy took a big jump up when I started using it consistently after I got it leveled up. Additionally, it's a totally different gameplay experience than any of the other weapons provide. I don't have it equipped all the time, but, after a few dozen or a few hundred exclusively point-and-shoot battles, it's a great change-of-pace to metaphorically wave a wand and make enemy boats go (or not go) where you want them to. Kind of like taking a break from playing a warrior to playing a wizard, so to speak.

So... yes, go hard on firebomb and enjoy its many benefits. But keep the napalm, and keep investing in it here and there as you can, and in a few months you'll have a really, really fun toy to play with.

Not to be long-winded. But I've thought for a while about posting something about my experience with napalm, and this gave me an opportunity. Good luck!

Last edited: 26 Aug 2018
  15. Ash KOT

Ash KOT MVP

Excellent post, I just received my first epic napalm so will keep it and grow it :)
    Also, I just got my 6th epic dupe for firebomb, so can now go T5, it will be my 3rd T5 epic :)

wcc634 likes this.
  16. wcc634

wcc634 Member

A T5 epic firebomb. Seriously, those should be against the law...

Particularly when, it occurs to me, I have not received a single epic firebomb in what is approaching a full year of pretty-regular playing. Not a single one. That's messed up. Still have unclaimed achievement one, but no benefit to claiming that without others to add it to. Got what must have been a dozen rares early on, but still not a single epic.

Btw, I was grinding away in the event last week last week and realized that I was teamed up with... Ash KOT! Cruising around in a speeder, if I recall correctly. For longtime lurkers of the forums, it's always a double- (or triple-) take moment to find themselves live in the digital flesh with one of the active users--not to mention an MVP!

17. Ash KOT

Ash KOT MVP

Haha, i did have to use speeder for some guild quests, its not my strong point but I have had a few games with 20k+ damage but with the speeder being a glass cannon games often go either way :D
    I usually play shooter / enfo depending on my mood, but I agree its always good to find fellow forumers in game!