1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Poor matchmaking.

Discussion in 'Bugs, Issues & Inquiries' started by Capt. Blaster, 26 Aug 2018.

?

Is Battle Bay matchmaking fair??

Poll closed 2 Sep 2018.
  1. Yes

50.0%
  2. No

50.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Capt. Blaster

Capt. Blaster New Member

If this is properly set up, the better you get, you should be able to maintain a winning win %. The matchmaking should be done so that the level of Captain you are, would put you in a category with similar levelled Captains. 0-10, 10-20, 20-30, 30-40, etc. That way you don't have level 12 players battling level 38, and he lasts longer than 40 seconds in battles!
    Sick of putting time in on quests, when you lose 14 in a row, because of poor 1 sided matches! And tired of buying things, when Rovio obviously doesn't want to change it so it is more fair play. I buy a lot, and if Rovio wants my $$, they can fix the poor matchmaking!!!

2. YerJokinArnYer

YerJokinArnYer MVP

You are suggesting a matchmaking system which matchmakes by captain level. That system could be abused if a player decided to forego undertaking any training (therefore never increasing their ship level) but continually increasing their gear. They would effectively become seal clubbers preying upon players who upgraded in a traditional way (because they would get much stronger gear over time).
    Your proposed system would therefore be similar to the system used in events (just replacing power score with captain level) and you will see that we have far more posts about unfair matchmaking in events than we do in normal ‘ranked’ battles.
    I would therefore not be in favour as it would result in more ‘seal clubbing’ in my opinion.

3. Miathan

Miathan Well-Known Member

@Capt. Blaster To give your complaint some context:

- what's your captain level?
    - what's your setup?
    - what kind of matches do you get put into?

Bonus points if you post screenshots.

4. Capt. Blaster

Capt. Blaster New Member

Your gear can only be levelled so far without training your crew!

5. Capt. Blaster

Capt. Blaster New Member

Setup is mk4, 1 Epic Big Berta, 1 rare BB, 1 Rare Blast cannon, 1 Rare Swift Torpedo.
    Capt level 24, infamy goes from 300+ to 0, don't have screenshots, sorry!

6. Capt. Blaster

Capt. Blaster New Member

The matches I complain about, are 1s where their team has 3 guys with 4k hit points, and 2 with 3000+, vs me, 2 with 2200, 1 with 2500, and some poor schlep with 1600. I am 2600.
    Also, I get 13, 14 losses in a row!

7. NoTzHoNg

NoTzHoNg Active Member

Battle Bay Player
    CFE73570-8627-4A64-97C5-B7427BEA91D1.png

upload_2018-8-26_15-21-35.png
    More matchmaking fails

ShipCrusherCz likes this.
  8. SeaNavy

SeaNavy Well-Known Member

Maybe distributing players into teams using captain level would work, but not making the matches based on captain level. Infamy is supposed to measure how good you are relative to all players, not how good you are relative to people at your level. Making matches based on captain level would defeat the purpose of infamy. Also, this would make matchmaking take longer.
    Health isn't everything. If health determines the game for you, defenders should be op but it's actually the worst ship (most people say). Also, you're likely to get a long loss streaks sometimes, everyone faces it eventually, because if you advance to an infamy too high for you, you're bound to fall back down unless you improve your items and skills.

9. StrictSalmon307

StrictSalmon307 Well-Known Member

Professional student
    Read this informative post:
    He basically states that stuff such as ship level is already used in a part of the matchmaking.

ShipCrusherCz and SeaNavy like this.
  10. envylife

envylife Well-Known Member

First of all, a proper game rating system would only allow a winning win % if you are under-rated. Once you are properly rated you will be at 50% until you level up gear or skill, or others surpass you in gear or skill then you will decline.
    More importantly, a pure game rating system wouldn't take anything into account other than Infamy. Doing anything more risks manipulation by both players and Rovio, which results in an invalid rating. In BB specifically, due to different roles boats take in it's also important to balance boat type in a match, but that should be the extent of it.

You can bypass a lot of the training with higher level items. For example a Level 1 captain can have a Legendary L10 item, equivalent to a T4E and better than a T5R.

11. Capt. Blaster

Capt. Blaster New Member

12. envylife

envylife Well-Known Member

Sounds like you are a relative newbie to the game. It's definitely an interesting climb... I hear it's harder now than it used to be, but on the other hand it's much easier to get better items early in the game, so it is just a matter of grinding it out for a while. Don't worry about individual matches, I've been up and down 1000 Infamy in the past month, and my opinion is that Infamy should be a simple moving average over 2-3 weeks, which is 500 matches for me... but it isn't, so I can understand your frustration game to game. Take it in stride.

You can purchase a legendary item in a couple ways: Epic Containers and Coins. It's very expensive, but it's worth it to some people.

13. DruceWillis

DruceWillis New Member

14. YerJokinArnYer

YerJokinArnYer MVP

If (in ranked) you are a low level ship playing against higher level ships, it is important to get your mindset right.
    If you think “they are higher level ships than me, this is unfair, I won’t win”, then you will lose.
    If you think, “they are higher level ships fighting at the same infamy as me, they must not be as good at aiming as me. I just need to make sure I stay ‘together’ with my team and make sure they don’t get so close that they can’t miss” then you will have a good chance in the game.

15. ShipCrusherCz

ShipCrusherCz Well-Known Member

I had battle similar to the first one, but I had mk4 ship and only 1.2k infamy
    that was really bad because Inhad no chance against 10k hp shooters

16. ShipCrusherCz

dude, I was mk3 with t2 rares and t1 epic sniper playing against mk6 ships (highest infamy was 1457)
    and that was few months ago

17. Capt. Blaster

Capt. Blaster New Member

In my last 10 games now, I have won 2! If you add the 0/14 before, that's 2 wins in 24.

18. ShipCrusherCz

share some replays please
    we can't really help you when we don't see how you and/or your opponents play

19. Capt. Blaster

Capt. Blaster New Member

I try to upload 2x, keeps saying error uploading.

20. ShipCrusherCz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.