1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

How to stop seal clubbing during events

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by JoshW, 19 Aug 2018.

1. JoshW

JoshW Well-Known Member

BB devs need to create limitations on weapons and items/ perks for certain ship tiers. For example:
    - Mk1 ships = Common (Lvl 1-50, Uncommon (Lvl 1-25)
    - Mk2 ships = Common (1-50), Uncommon (1-50), Rare (1-25)
    - Mk3 ships = Uncommon (1-50), Rare (1-50), Epic (1-25)
    - Mk4 ships = Rare (1-50), Epic (1-25)
    - Mk5 ships = Epic (1-50), Legendary (1-25)
    - Mk6 ships = Epic (1-50), Legendary (1-50)
    - Mk7 ships = Legendary (1-50)
    This as well as tweaks to the RNG and store as you increase your ship level will help keep all ships of the same tier balanced. When you have a ship of a certain tier all crates and shops only have items/perks that are useable for that tier.

It also wouldnt be a bad idea to have gear score min/max caps for each item and ship.
    Give me feedback, do you guys think this will work?

2. Joey who

Joey who Well-Known Member

I don't think it's fair to restrict items, espedially considering some pay money for them

ShipCrusherCz and JoshW like this.
  3. JoshW

JoshW Well-Known Member

Think about it though, if you buy say an epic weapon as a mk3 ship by the time you upgrade it to lvl 25 you should have reached the next ship tier and you can still use that weapon. Obviously BB devs would have to find the ideal item levels to restrict ships to so the progression of your power is balanced with other players. The point of this system would be to keep players from equiping over powered weapons to low level ships not to try and give a disadvantage to p2p players.

4. JoshW

JoshW Well-Known Member

Also these restrictions could be limited to event battles where the majority of seal clubbing occurs.

5. SeaNavy

SeaNavy Well-Known Member

Items should not be restricted. People spend a lot of time and/or money to earn items, and it wouldn't be fair if they were not allowed to use them. Even if it was only in events, people would have those items in their main set ups but wouldn't be able to use them and therefore will not have good items to use and will either complain or quit or both.

ShipCrusherCz and NathanaelK like this.
  6. JoshW

JoshW Well-Known Member

I understand where you are coming from but the point is their weapons should match their ship level. If they put that much time and effort into upgrading a weapon all they have to do is use it on the right tier ship. The problem comes from experienced players putting high level equipment on a ship they haven't bothered to upgrade just so they can cheat the system.

7. NathanaelK

NathanaelK Well-Known Member

Anyone out there…? :(
    There is a BB Subreddit. My in-game tag: #GDHYNGJQ
    I see what you're saying, but I don't think this is the right way to go about it. I've never intentionally seal clubbed or tanked infamy before, and I sometimes use a Level 30 Overboost on my Mk4 Speeder. I'd hate to be kept from using that just because I'm Mk4.

ShipCrusherCz and JoshW like this.
  8. PastelPiku

PastelPiku Well-Known Member

Security
    There's a lot of threads about this. The best solution I've heard was to scale coin rewards by gear score or ship mk. Essentially, a noob would get like 3~5 coins on a good battle, while a strong player would get maybe 15~20 (possibly adjust rewards/prices with this). Currently, the problem isn't just that players are sealclubbing, it's the fact that doing so is just more effective than playing fair. Even if I'm a high level player, if I bring low level gear into battle, I should get lower rewards. Similar to how being at higher infamy yields higher rewards from ranked battles.

JoshW likes this.
  9. JoshW

JoshW Well-Known Member

That' a good idea but could still be manipulated. All they would have to do is equip high level low rarity and with training their weapons would still be op. Unless they could figure a way to account for training either by reflecting it in gear score or just matchmaking based on captain level.

10. JoshW

JoshW Well-Known Member

I feel that gear score is too easy to manipulate and they should get rid of it all together. Maybe instead matchmake based on fixed item stats like dps, hp, speed and defence as a collective for your team. This way battles would favor players with better skills rather than who got lucky enough to get better gear.

And I know what you're going to say...
    This wouldn't be fair for the p2p players who spend money to have an advantage.
    That could easily be fixed by allowing p2p players choose what they're buying instead of it being random. If those players wanted to pay for an advantage they could buy the specific items that they are skilled with to get the upper hand.

11. YerJokinArnYer

YerJokinArnYer MVP

Here’s my solution
    For me, the solution should be one which doesn’t penalise new players by reducing their rewards - in effect you’d be penalising the new players, whilst the clubbers would just use higher mark ships and arguably suffer only slightly reduced rewards.

I believe that we should look at the anti-clubbing measures in ‘ranked’ for inspiration. In ranked, if you fall about 800 infamy below your max you suffer lower rewards. I’d therefore look to do something similar, but using ship mark rather than infamy.

So say you use:
    a boat 1 level below your highest, you’d get 1 few coins than you would have otherwise got
    A boat 2 levels below your highest, you’d get 2 few coins etc
    (Obviously that coin reduction could be adjusted as necessary if that balance wasn’t appropriate)
    This would still allow scope for experimentation, but would achieve the result of penalising the clubbers and not the newer players.

One amendment I would make is this, if you are a fixer, the reduction in rewards should be reduced, so perhaps one boat level below loses no coins, two boat levels below loses one coin. This is because fixers generally need to run another boat to be effective in events.

12. JoshW

JoshW Well-Known Member

The problem with that is even with a 1-2 coin penalty for using the lower ship the clubbers would still average 8-9 coins per game so it doesn't negate the incentive to club. Also events aren't place to experiment. Trying new items you aren't good with is only going to hurt your team. Maybe adding a new mode for experimentation would help this not only for events but for ranked as well.

13. PastelPiku

PastelPiku Well-Known Member

Security
    Yea, you'd still be able to sealclub, but it would be far from worth it. Lowering your gear score would decrease your coin income by about 5x if you drop your gear score all the way down to noob levels. Hardly worth the forced win rate.

ShipCrusherCz likes this.
  14. SeaNavy

Events are meant for experimenting. That was it's orginal purpose, but then people decided to sealclub, and now the people are suggesting solutions that will hurt both sealclubber and experimenters. I myself am experimenting with an enforcer, but I'm not using any high level items on it to keep it fair for other people. This doesn't mean I should be penalized for using a lower boat.

What's Up Player likes this.
  15. JoshW

JoshW Well-Known Member

That was the point I was trying to make with the "Item restrictions" and "gear score caps"
    If you drop below the cap you get decreased or no rewards which would make people want to use the corresponding items and ships

16. YerJokinArnYer

YerJokinArnYer MVP

I would argue that the seal clubbing problem isn’t mostly about the mk7’s (say) using Mk5’or Mk6’s, it’s the Mk6 or 7’s using Mk2 or 3s. People using about 3 boat levels below their best. And I believe that losing 3 coins every game would be enough of a penalty.
    Regardless, say my suggestion wasn’t severe enough, it would be easy to increase the penalty by an extra coin if needed.

17. JoshW

JoshW Well-Known Member

Don' get me wrong, I think your idea would work to stop clubbers now but it wouldn' work in the long term. New players could stop upgrading ships at Mk3 and still be able to equip high rarity/level gear. The genuis in my system is that you only get gear that will work on your current ship then as you level it up you have to upgrade your ship to continue using said gear. Also not only would it stop clubbing but it would also balance fair play players better.

PastelPiku likes this.
  18. JoshW

JoshW Well-Known Member

I too just started experimenting with enforcer and like you I am using gear that keeps the game fair for others. Playing this way wouldn' conflict with the system I suggested the only difference would be all players would be forced to play fair. All my ships are now mk5 so I can swap gear between them and still play fair. But say my enforcer was mk3 and I wanted to try it out, it wouldn' be an accurate trial if I'm putting high rarity/level gear on it.

PastelPiku likes this.
  19. SeaNavy

But it's not exactly 'fair' when you can't equip gear that you have spent money and/or time to earn, just because your ship is not a high enough level. Because there are people who aren't trying to seal club but happen to have gotten many duplicates of an item and use it on their low level, normal ships. On my alt I got 3 epic big torps + gonna get another one from achievements, but my ships is still mk2, which makes my gear higher than the standard gear for my ship level.

20. JoshW

JoshW Well-Known Member

It isn't exactly 'fair' that you got lucky and got dupes of an item you like when others don't. There are two sides to every coin. The dupes would just have to sit in inventory while your boat catches up. How is that unfair? You still get the item you just can't use it to ruin the game for others

StrictSalmon307 likes this.