1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

How is it not cheating?

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by NotHappyJan, 1 Jul 2018.

1. Shadow Moon!

Shadow Moon! Well-Known Member

I was matched OaTo, the infamous OaTo WDK he 3 shot me. After respawn I managed to kill him once. I am no match against him skill wise and gear wise too.

2. envylife

envylife Well-Known Member

I disagree with this. Gear Score was supposed to allow experimentation with different boats and configurations and the Devs were responsible for proper Gear Score calculation. Whatever EventMatchmaker(tm) uses, it's not working. I'd bet if gear score was adjusted by training, and all that other crap taken out of EventMatchmaker(tm)'s algorithms, things would be a lot more fair.

When I jumped in my MK2 boat (from my MK6) I was absolutely over-powered by an MK5 with 2X the Gear Score. Was that considered seal clubbing? Yea, for the MK5. Was it the MK5's fault? No... EventMatchmaker(tm) put us together. When I jumped in an MK4, I was put against an MK6's with Gear Score 2200-3k higher, and even an MK7. Was I seal clubbing? Ha... again, I was the one being Seal Clubbed. Was this reasonable matchmaking? No. It was neither player's fault.

The players that benefitted in this particular event are those that ran multiple Epic T5 weapons... they ran their normal loadout and EventMatchmaker(tm) provided one baby seal after another. It wasn't the player's fault. It was EventMatchmaker(tm), which the Devs are responsible for.

3. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

Hang on, I'm not talking about normal people just trying their best. There is a very clear difference between those and the culprits. As I said before, blanket bans are not the way to go, discretion is, of course, needed.

ShipCrusherCz likes this.
  4. envylife

I understand the nature of your comment, that players will try to game the system, but It's up to the devs to make a fair system. Let's be honest, the event matchmaking is not fair to most... purposefully putting together seal clubbing matches where there wasn't even GS manipulation. It shouldn't be acceptable by the players or by Rovio. That's a much bigger deal than a few players in lower MK boats.

wreck your day likes this.
  5. #CK

#CK Active Member

drone pilot
    well , how about 3+K player doing this ? but i'm play mk4 defender with my legendary RG , is it considered cheating ? my gear score are below 3 k , but i got matched up with 4+k gear score . i managed to win 90 % of the battles

6. CaffeinatedChris

CaffeinatedChris MVP

For the 1v1 specifically, I think the specific knobs that needs to be tuned on the matchmaking algorithm are as follows:

The lower the gear score, the more captain value should be considered.

If I hopped into one of my yellow Mk2 ships and geared down to Uncommons, I would still have a huge advantage over a Level 10 player thanks to both the flat-value and percentage-based talent tree increases.

NotHappyJan, *JAWS* and ShipCrusherCz like this.
  7. envylife

Gear Score should be adjusted by this. Note that many weapons already calculate DPS that adjusts the base gear by training and perks. This is what I originally though Gear Score was supposed to do. Trying to come up with a separate system that adds up base Gear Scores without adjusting for training, or end effect of perks is a mistake.

*JAWS* and ShipCrusherCz like this.
  8. ShipCrusherCz

ShipCrusherCz Well-Known Member

there is difference is experimenting (like mk4 player uses his t2/3 rares and epics on his mk3 boats, no difference between his and normal mk3's items but he can freely use his weaker ship)
    and those NM players who pick their mk2 ship (when their main ships are mk6 and 7) and put legendaries, t5 rares and epics on it (usually only one) and they also equip lvl1 commons and uncommons without perks, their gear score is brutaly decreased by these commons/uncommons while they are still good enough for mk2 as their crew training is boost them

9. envylife

Not if EventMatchmaker(tm) properly adjusts for it, which is in the hands of the Devs. As I said earlier, when I ran a MK2 with Rares I was matched with MK5. When I ran MK5 with Rares I was matched with MK6. When I ran MK6 I was matched with MK6. That made it impossible for me, anyway, to run anything less than MK6.

10. StrictSalmon307

StrictSalmon307 Well-Known Member

Professional student
    In this event we have found that having 1 high level item actually gives harder matchups. Ask @envylife about his big shield.

11. NotHappyJan

NotHappyJan New Member

Here's my ship (currently). Ive upgraded ship mk and both grenades since the event.

My boat is well geared for my level and I get that, but i can't even unlock training to evolve most items past where they are because of captain level restrictions or sugar caps. Take into account the training a lvl 40+ captain has compared to a lvl 20ish captain and it's plain unfair.

Attached Files:

12. NotHappyJan

NotHappyJan New Member

Defender might be a poor choice, but it is his only mk2 boat so still a stronger opponent.
    I fought people doing this all weekend as well as the previous deathmatch events. If it wasn't an unfair advantage, why would they do it?

They claim they want it based on gearscore to encourage trying out different things, then they should include captain training in that calculation and limit the number of mk's you can drop to 1 or 2.
    Ie. Main a speeder at mk6, want to try out defender? Mk4 minimum and the training you have should be taken into consideration.
    We'd quickly see who is experimenting a new play style/ boat/ set up and who is gaming the system.

*JAWS* likes this.
  13. YerJokinArnYer

YerJokinArnYer MVP

This thread is about whether one player in particular was cheating. My comments are in relation to that specific issue, and about whether you can tell from one screenshot and one match whether a player was cheating.
    Your issues are in respect of your experiences of matchmaking in the event are fair. This is not a thread that is about that issue, and so your response is not relevant to my comments.

Your opinions are on event matchmaking are valid and deserve to be heard, and so I would recommend that you find one of those open threads on the 1v1 matchmaking to add your feedback.

Last edited: 4 Jul 2018
  14. NotHappyJan

NotHappyJan New Member

You do realise that you're telling the person who started the thread what the thread is about?

15. YerJokinArnYer

YerJokinArnYer MVP

Ha, no I didn’t. Sorry about that.

I didn’t realise because you replied to my post (which was about whether the player cheated), with a more general comment about matchmaking in the event. You’re literally talking about a different subject to me, and that’s fine as long as you don’t do so by replying to someone who’s speaking about something different.

I have already said in other posts on this thread that I felt the match itself was unfair (I’ve watched the video and everything). I’m not sure what more you want from me.

16. Nimzor

Nimzor Member

Defender was very good in the 1v1, I wouldn't be susprised if it had one of the highest win rates or the highest win rate for the entire event.