1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Matchmaking using Gearscore

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by The Otherguy, 23 May 2018.

1. The Otherguy

The Otherguy Well-Known Member

Tech support
    No. Bad idea.
    Using gearscore for matchmaking would at worst make everything pure skill, and at best make matchmaking take literal minutes.
    Lets start with the worst, gearscore is all that is considered in mm.
    This would be pure skill, leading to some players having a massive win ratio, and others a massive loss ratio. Some people need to have better gear to make up for their lack of skilz.
    The best case scenario would be both be both gearscore and infamy used in mm.
    This would lead to insane waits between battles (well, for most players), as almost everyone is different, and the playerbase big enough to be so specific (it can hardly even handle battles at 3.5k)

I didn't explain very well, so maybe I can illustrate better.
    Here is my player tag (FDCRXQWW), I will fight you with the same gearscore, and post the results here, so everyone can judge.
    (PM me with your ign so I know who you are if you want to take me up on my challenge)

Mr. Chompers and Fish like this.
  2. Fish

Fish Well-Known Member

Not to mention that Rovio would have to completely rework their business model for this game (same model used by countless games now). Love it or hate it, freemium games largely rely on people wanting to get better than their rivals by buying better items (or chances at better items) for most of their income. If gear score is used, as The Otherguy says, it becomes a game of skill and buying better items doesn’t make you better relative to the people you play against - so there is no incentive to buy. And as much as f2p is ideologically the “pure” way to play in some people’s minds, it doesn’t pay the bills for servers, bandwidth, or the extra dev team members or ads that so many people keep saying in the forum that the game needs.

3. YerJokinArnYer

YerJokinArnYer MVP

Yes, all it would prove is ‘who is best at that particular gear score’
    And then you would have players manipulating gear score to be as low, but as strong as possible, such as shooters with 4 v strong weapons and 1 common T1 weapon.
    Infamy works fine.

4. Hodges

Hodges Well-Known Member

Let's go

5. The Otherguy

Tech support
    ign?

(I will be on in several hours)

6. The Otherguy

Tech support
    So, 5v5 deathmode is gearscore based (I think)... We'll see how this goes.

Fluid Bait likes this.