1. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Tips for starting a new ship?

Discussion in 'Strategy Discussion' started by VidarUlv, 12 Jun 2017.

1. VidarUlv

VidarUlv New Member

Unemployed
    Hey folks. I just started playing with my MK1 Fixer, the problem is that my Infamy was at 600 and it has of course started to plummet as I've been letting my team down, making me feel pretty bad.
    I do have an Enforcer MK2 that I usually play, but I figured I'd give the Fixer a go after I got a healing quest. While I enjoyed how it played, being stuck with a pulse that heals 13 health per second for 9 seconds when I'm playing with MK3s just doesn't cut it at all.

Is there anything I can do that won't tank my Infamy and win rate, while not completely ruining the games of my team? I'll have the captain level to unlock the MK2 later today, but I'm still quite far off with gold for the ship, and not to speak of the equipment as I have never had any use of healing items until now.

Sure I could continue to play my Enforcer, but I actually do want to play a bit as a Fixer right now.

2. HelloPlease

HelloPlease New Member

Play the enforcer but but pour all your resources into the fixer until it is suitable to use.

Miathan likes this.
  3. Miathan

Miathan Well-Known Member

Yeah, this is the way to do it if you want to stay at your infamy level and not drop because of being useless to the team.

4. VidarUlv

VidarUlv New Member

Unemployed
    I ended up just playing in the Fixer and dropping down to 300 infamy which did suck pretty bad. I felt that my problem might only get worse if I kept playing with my Enforcer as my infamy might have gotten even higher before the swap.

I spent my resources yesterday and today on upgrading my uncommon overboost and repair pulse. Only to open two chests which contained rare versions of the overboost and repair pulse... got some mixed feelings on that one...
    Hopefully it will help me get my infamy back up so I can retake the first spot in the Challenger DIV. III league again.

5. LOLdude

LOLdude Member

Gulp. I'm a master why am I reading this? ( tip: find your best loadout then spam upgrade all the items in it to a reasonable max level )

6. Epekka

Epekka Well-Known Member

Just skip the healing quests. No reason to drop down to 300 infamy because of a daily quest.

LOLdude likes this.
  7. LOLdude

LOLdude Member

Agreed.

8. Winkleberry5

Winkleberry5 Active Member

My suggestion to you since your starting out and you're not a heavy pearler is to work on 2 main weapons, and bandage/shield/turbo. Here's a list of items I highly suggest you keep and upgrade. (Best items will be listed first)
    Weapons (Red)
    Sniper Cannon, Explosive Cannon, Blast Cannon, Big Torpedo, Flare Gun, Napalm.
    Passive (Blue)
    Bandage, Turbo, Big Shield
    Support (Green)
    Repair Pulse, Repair Box
    Buff/Debuff (Yellow)
    Over Boost, Tesla Shield, Tesla Bolt, Frost, Nitro

VidarUlv likes this.
  9. David Bonaparte

David Bonaparte Active Member

Agreed, certainly until you have a decent healing ship and loadout.

@VidarUlv keep in mind that Fixers take a different playstyle. Imagine a more conservative Shooter that shoots allies to heal them (sometimes). Like others have said, make sure your items are decent for your tier before trying to make a Fixer work - likewise make sure your ship is upgraded as much as possible. Fortunately, these use different main resources. If you are active, you will be able to scrap a decent number of uncommon and common parts for materials to upgrade your prioritized items, without spending much gold. I would suggest aiming for uncommons (relatively cheap to buy), and upgrading your new items to level 8-10. It won't make you a powerhouse, but you will get stuff done.

Just make sure you understand that a Fixer is a team healer. Please, please, please don't be one of those idiots that runs off and thinks their healing is to make them tankier for 1v1s. Please. You are so much more effective (and less likely to get focused) if you stay in the middle of your team and prioritize healing your focused or low health allies. Either can already swing a game on its own, as the extra damage your allies output, all adds up. So, you should first prioritize the Repair Pulse, and then the Repair box (if you get another healing slot). I would ignore the Duct Tape, due to its inflexibility, and IIRC its actual healing output isn't very different from the Repair Box and Pulse, which are clearly better, utility wise.

VidarUlv likes this.
  10. VidarUlv

VidarUlv New Member

Unemployed
    The quest was mostly the excuse that pushed me over the edge. I've been intrigued by the Fixer for a while now as I haven't found the Shooter, Speeder or Defender all that interesting, and I wanted to expand a bit further than just an Enforcer.

So you suggest that I'll move away from the standard cannon? It's been working out pretty well for me with the Enforcer as the DPS is very high, but yeah I must admit that I'm a less of a fan with it in the Fixer as I feel I'm too exposed with it. With the high rate of fire I find myself getting too predictable with either popping out from a corner too often or just sitting there to take that second shot, instead of pulling right back in as I would with a gun with a longer cooldown.

I do try to keep with my team, sadly everyone seems to be scooting off doing their own thing as this infamy level. One thing I can become better at is paying more attention to my teammates, their health and their positioning during fights. I guess ditching my cannon for a slower reloading gun will help there as I'd spend less time pulling my trigger on enemies.

Thanks for the tips everyone, I appreciate it!

11. Winkleberry5

Winkleberry5 Active Member

If you have the duplicates for standard cannon then yeah by all means keep upgrading that weapon.

12. David Bonaparte

David Bonaparte Active Member

I think you automatically get duplicates of rare cannons, early on at least?

Cannons are useful, but you probably won't need more than one at a time, unless you are running it on a low elo defender. They are a bit helpful for helping counter speeders as well, but they won't be your go-to weapon often.

Also, the better your team, the more rewarding it is to be a fixer. Until you reach the land of infinite stuns and tesla shields anyway. :p (dw, that seems to be top elo, not anywhere near us lol)

13. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

The biggest bump i took(and am still hurting from) is learning the speeder completely. Lost 600 infamy, 970 to 370. That. Was. Bad.