1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

How come we all have a win rate of 50% plus or minus 2%?

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Flint, 15 May 2018.

1. Flint

Flint Well-Known Member

Hello All,

We all have a win rate of about 50%. There are some explainations, like it is the same with all games with this type of matchmaking algorithm. Many people don't buy that and many theories go around in the in-game chats. And I wonder also shouldn't the best players be able to do 60-65% perhaps?

So, anyone has a good theory? Many people accuse Rovio that this is the way to make money, let us lose enough so we draw our wallets and spend money? But I don't believe that anymore, although the matchmaking can be improved upon. But if it was fixed to like some say, then it would keep me from spending (more) money with a system like this.

But truthfully if you hear some saying things like it has been fixed over and over, you start to believe it also. I did for a while.

Best wishes,
    Flint

Last edited: 16 May 2018
  2. Help I Cant Swim

Help I Cant Swim MVP

The Otherguy, Miathan, Ian and 3 others like this.
  3. Flint

Flint Well-Known Member

Hello!

I did not say it was forced, just put a few questions on the table I heard from fellow Bayers mixed with my own questions.

I have heard good thing about the Glicko rating system, but I think that is too complex to discus that here, although very interesting!

Pratik likes this.
  4. Fiorell

Fiorell Active Member

The infamy system will make sure that those 'best players' will play against each other after a short amount of time. As soon as this happens, the universe is going to implode because of a paradox (both sides still have to win 60% of the time because they all have the 'best players').

5. Spinners71

Spinners71 Well-Known Member

6. Flint

Flint Well-Known Member

I am clearly not the best player :confused:

7. The Biter

The Biter New Member

Super MOM and WIFE
    I think everyone complaining about matchmaking is the reason we have a 50/50 win rate. Dev. is just trying to make all those winners happy. Plus...teaches us all that we win some/ we lose some: its a game!!!!

Aether_Zero likes this.
  8. Ian

Ian Well-Known Member

Student
    :/ I’m not the best at explaining this so I recommend you look at one of those threads posted above.

You gain infamy by becoming better / getting more gear. Then after a while of winning and gaining infamy you hit a limit as matchmaking balances games by infamy. You’ll be matched with bunch of other people around your level, and the only way to win more than 50% is to improve your skill/gear, but then it will eventually return to a 50% as your infamy increases because of that.

If matchmaking was random and didn’t take into account infamy, of course some players would have 90+% win rates, but that would be horrible.

9. Flint

Flint Well-Known Member

Thanks, it is quite clear. In the in-game chats people act like if Rovio has a sort of dark secret to keep us at 50% winrate, which is of course not true. But the questions I ask, are also questions I here from others. So, it is not meant as complaining. Just trying to learn something here.

10. Flint

Flint Well-Known Member

Quite right! The biggest problem are we, the players. Although one big factor is that everybody is able to progress to bigger level ships. So, that is why if you are a good mk1 or mk2 player, you end up with the not so skilled mk5 and mk6, which can kill you in a heartbeat.

TheAntiSnipe likes this.
  11. Flint

Flint Well-Known Member

I have edited my first post, was wrong, sorry. Had not been sleeping for about 5 nights in a row (won't bother you why), but then I should not write too much. Because I don't see clearly at those times.

TheAntiSnipe likes this.
  12. Miathan

Miathan Well-Known Member

Yeah it's quite simple really:

- if you win more than you lose, you gain more infamy than you lose, so you rise in infamy
    - if you lose more than you win, you lose more infamy than you gain, so you fall in infamy

From these 2 points it can be concluded:

- if you neither rise nor fall in infamy (stable, equilibrium), you must be winning as much as losing, so you must have an average win rate of 50%

There's no magic and no malicious devs forcing things on people for more money. It's a simple consequence of a matchmaking rating based system.

13. Aether_Zero

Aether_Zero Well-Known Member

Mate I feel you on the insomnia thing. All too familiar with it myself, and I hope it passes for you soon.

On to the 50/50 win rate thing. I dont really think about it as such. I just play the game as well as I can, while hoping my team mates are doing the same. Its all I can ask for. If I win, awesome. If I lose, oh well - I tried.
    Sure, I've had some games where I've had 3 kills and highest damage on my team, yet we still lost. I get mad, but then realise - it's just a game. It doesn't really matter, its something I enjoy playing in my spare time.
    Try not to get hung up on the specifics and just enjoy it for what it is - a pretty well designed and executed online multiplayer game where you can battle, make friends, learn from other players.

14. Flint

Flint Well-Known Member

Thanks! Have insomnia for many years, but at times, when my health goes down more, it gets worse, And in those times your mind does strange things, but I think you know that all to well.

But you are quite right, should not worry too much and just enjoy the game.

15. Aether_Zero

Aether_Zero Well-Known Member

Yep, I'm no stranger to my mind playing tricks on me after 4 or 5 days with no sleep. Part of the joys of having a very colicky 1 year old lol.
    I totally get and appreciate why people get hung up on the specifics, but its just not for me tbh. In the end, its a game - a break from reality for a while :)

Rainbow Warrior likes this.
  16. BAJABLASTOISE

BAJABLASTOISE Active Member

I find its way more fun to focus on how high I can get my kills/battle ratio vs trying to raise my infamy.

And I did the math, my win/loss ratio is 51% lol! I'm okay with that.

17. The Biter

The Biter New Member

Super MOM and WIFE
    Hope your blue light filter was on... that helps :)