1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Unpopular opinion: The matchmaking is fine.

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Kyoob Cubison, 16 May 2018.

1. Kyoob Cubison

Kyoob Cubison Member

Allow me to preface this by saying that while the matchmaking isn’t perfect, it’s pretty good for what it is. For me, at my level I’m often tiered with other mk5 and mk6s, and occasionally for some reason, there’s a mk 1 on a team (I have no idea where these mk1s with 1700 infamy came from, probably some weaklings who were carried). Sometimes there’s a medic on my team, sometimes there’s a medic on the enemy team. Sometimes there’s a medic on both teams. Sometimes two medics on either side.Some people have a problem with them being paired with high tier ships, but I put that to them being carried there by a lucky set of teammates. Some people have a problem with being put up against players with high damage weapons, but I reason that to be a high level player down on his luck and tanking on infamy. Granted, I’ve played against these players, and yes it feels horrible to lose ten battles in a row. I once had 1900 infamy and had a string of horrible battles, dropping all the way down to 700 infamy. Those horrible battles weren’t because the matchmaking, it was bad teamwork and poor ship coordination. Finally, with my mk6 ship and lvl 4 cannons, I ended up eating through battles, the players on the enemy team stood very little chance with their mk3 ships. My point is is that everyone has bad battles, and everyone has good battles, look at how you played, how your teammates played, figure out what you can learn, post what you learned in the forums, and prevent this community from becoming even more toxic. If you look at your win/lose ratio (divide total battles by number of wins) you will always be above fifty percent. You win more than you lose, despite what it may seem. The game is purposely designed that way.

While I know that I might of angered many people, I genuinely want to here your arguments against my point. What is your experience with the matchmaking, how can it be improved. I frequently see someone say “the game needs better matchmaking,” and this doesn’t help anyone. Concise, constructive, well thought out criticism is what’s needed to improve this game.

2. Kitterini

Kitterini Well-Known Member

Its easier to blame defeats on unfair matchmaking, than it is to consider what mistake your made yourself during the match :)

Aside from some issues with fleeting, the matchmaking works just fine.

3. FirnenAhead

FirnenAhead Well-Known Member

Agree, the problem exists only in early game between 200 and 1.5k infamy, where new players suffer a lot facing Mk5s with their little Mk3s

4. Help I Cant Swim

Help I Cant Swim MVP

I've been beating this drum very loudly for a long time. Matchmaking is working perfectly. Infamy-manipulation and seal clubbing are the culprits for why we see so many "matchmaking sucks" threads.

5. Rainbow Warrior

Rainbow Warrior Well-Known Member

Matchmaking is fine! My skills are not so fine at the moment. From 3900 to 3400 :eek::eek::eek:

StrictSalmon307 likes this.
  6. Stonebanks

Stonebanks Well-Known Member

Matchmaking is ok, i think player's skills are not the same and i wonder how so many guys at 3500+ has that infamy level

7. Aether_Zero

Aether_Zero Well-Known Member

THIS x1000000000000
    People just love to complain. Especially when they get steamrollered by the other team. Yet no-one has the balls (or female equivalent?! Lol) to come on here and praise the matchmaking for them being on the winning side.
    Always watch your own replays - common sense really. You can get an idea of where you may have went wrong, or something that another member of your team may have done wrong, so you can learn to improve your game (aka - git gud!)

8. TVNPryde

TVNPryde Well-Known Member

I concur with the OP that match making is fine. Those who chooses to manipulate infamy should get harder punishments. There was a thread where someone with 10K+ battles still using MK1 to beat up noobs.

On the other hand, I can't say the same for season and guild matching. Season should pair people by their highest infamy last season, not the current infamy when season starts. Many people tanked at the end of season to get favorable opponents.

9. Kyoob Cubison

Kyoob Cubison Member

Absolutely. In my opinion if anything needs to be adjusted, its the guild war system. Towards the end of every war I always get that same feeling. “Oh god, we have to do this all over again.” I acknowledge that this game is built around reputation and grinding, almost to the point of it feeling like a second job, but the grind for guild quests feels even worse. The rewards aren’t the problem, I feel that I get pretty well compensated for winning a war, but that feeling of not really wanting to go through it again is still there.

10. A55A51N

A55A51N Well-Known Member

Student
    Absolutely agree, MM is fine!

TheAntiSnipe and Fluid Bait like this.
  11. Aether_Zero

Aether_Zero Well-Known Member

Totally agree! Should either have a couple of days between rivalries in the current set up, or have them every other week and maybe make them give better rewards. Second option kinda makes more sense - it gives people time to level up weapons etc for questing purposes, so there's a lesser risk of infamy dropping due to using weaker weapons than your usual set up. Plus it'll get more people to experiment with different setups - potentially spending money to get them! Anyone else think this?

TheAntiSnipe likes this.
  12. envylife

envylife Well-Known Member

I think matchmaking is just OK, for me it's normally a 200 infamy range where streaks rarely last for more than a handful of games, but I frequently see 500 infamy swings and prolonged streaks that make me question Matchmaker(tm).

A 50/50 win rate should not be as streaky as it is. In the past week I went through a stretch where I won 10 of 50 matches. It was brutal, it was frustrating, and I could tell that some the matches were uneven from the splash page. I spent time evaluating what I did wrong after each match and how the matchups may have been out of whack, but in most cases it was not obvious. My teammates were getting consistently overpowered and I was regularly left under-manned and the only one with any kills, and only then if I could manufacture 1 or two before I was overrun in a 4vs1. In one stretch I had 1 win in 12 matches and that 1 win was only possible because the other team had a floater. This was across multiple days and many sessions, I wasn't tired or as frustrated as I have been in other losing streaks.

When the streak broke it was back to normal, where I had teammates that could last a couple minutes, and actually manufacture some support damage and kills... I quickly regained 200 infamy and am still climbing back to where I started 5 days ago.

The reality is that I did just reach a new infamy high, but it was only 100 higher than I'd been running for weeks.. I was already in a tight 200 infamy range and that's fine. It really feels like Matchmaker(tm) weights everyone in a match, and on some occasions it bumps my weighting up, and will not relinquish that rating until I drop 400-500 infamy. It always breaks at some point, as if it finally lowers my weighting, but it is far too delayed when Matchmaker(tm) uses an instant-infamy rating that changes per match.

I know this because, being in Ace 1, I regularly see Nightmare players that have fallen 500-900 infamy in the current season, and I know they are going to be more powerful than the average player. I'm convinced Matchmaker(tm) tries too hard to use MK levels, boat types, and various other weights and measures to get the 10 players and then uses instant-infamy to balance sides. That can easily lead to imbalances because infamy can change hundreds of points in a day per player. What I consider more fair is the current season range, so I frequently check all players in a match to see how balanced it really is. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. It goes back to my very strong opinion that Matchmaker(tm) should be using infamy on a moving average over a couple seasons, at least. I don't care about gear score, I don't care about balancing based on instant infamy, I only care about infamy trend and lifetime max. If done right now, everyone would see what looks like imbalanced matches by adding up instant infamy, but we should really change that to a moving average infamy and use that for match balancing.

kencold likes this.
  13. SupremeCalamitas

SupremeCalamitas Well-Known Member

I don't think it's your business
    Like HICS said, it's not the matchmaking. It just so happens that people SUCK at this game, or they are seal clubbers

There really needs to be a minimum infamy for each MK.

TheFixer27 likes this.
  14. StrictSalmon307

StrictSalmon307 Well-Known Member

Professional student
    That's close to my infamy :D

Rainbow Warrior likes this.
  15. FirnenAhead

FirnenAhead Well-Known Member

The problem about that is that it would become very monotonous, we would be paired against the same players over a significant period of time. To win a match against stronger or more experienced players on the other team than in yours you only (is not that easy IK :p) need to improve communication with your team to make sure they don't do anything stupid and your team takes advantage of the mistakes of the other team.

16. Jamesnyc

Jamesnyc Active Member

Systems admin

Oh god. You must not play if you actually wrote that match making is fine.. These 1 off post are the problem.. a million post how matchmaking sucks and 1 post how its great.. so devs do nothing

Go cash that rovio check now..

kencold likes this.
  17. Kyoob Cubison

Kyoob Cubison Member

Please, explain your reasoning as to why the matchmaking is broken or is poor. I would like to hear your argument so we can reach a middle ground.

I would call myself an experienced battle bay player, with 4500 battles and 9 months play time, I think I’ve played long enough to produce a valid opinion on the matchmaking systems.

While I do pay for VIP, I have not dropped hundreds at a time to boost my stats. My player ID is #PVDFYWNK.

On a side note, I find it mildly insulting that you assumed my experience with the game, just because my opinion didn't necessarily line up with yours.

Last edited: 17 May 2018
  18. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

Stop hinting at that sort of thing, mate.

19. Jamesnyc

Jamesnyc Active Member

Systems admin
    Read the billion post on the subject and play the game

Matchmaking stinks

1. Ive been matched with mk3
    2. Ive been match with defenders that have 14k (sometime more than 1)
    3. Ive been match with way to many players on the other team with legandary weapons
    4. Ive been match with players that have 3000 and less shield
    5. Been matched with 1 or 2 fixers on the other team, none on ours

That just a few

Last edited: 17 May 2018
    kencold likes this.
  20. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

So you are saying... You DON'T have a reasoning?