1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Please add preference to disable Zoom, and tweak auto-aim behavior

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by envylife, 8 Apr 2018.

1. envylife

envylife Well-Known Member

Is there any way we can get auto-aim tweaked a bit? When I'm actively aiming, and the enemy disappears or dies, the aim automatically jumps to another. The problem with this is two-fold:

1. If the enemy has disappeared I almost always want my target to remain toward that enemy. When auto-aim yanks the aim from me, it takes a while to re-focus back where I wanted to be in the first place, which is usually long enough to miss the shot.

2. Actively aiming zooms in, and yanking my aim from me while in zoom is a dizzying several seconds of re-orientation to zoom out and figure out where my boat is heading due to the turrent/camera turn so that I can re-orient in the direction I wanted to be in the first place. In that time all opportunity is lost, particularly in close combat with multiple opponents, which costs me kills and matches.

I'd like one or both of the following:
    1. Do not override my turret while I am actively aiming. It feels like a bug.
    2. A preference to disable zoom entirely. While it's kind of cool I don't find actual value in it, and the side effects are pretty bad. I also don't like the zoom behavior when I'm at a wall... I think a better job can be done by making the wall invisible so we can get a normal view.

PS: I do lock when possible, but when an enemy disappears/dies lock goes off and my turret spins.
    I als find sticky targets less useful than full auto-aim. Even so I'm tempted to try it again if I am still struggling with the above... but even if it works, it would only address part of the issue.

2. StrictSalmon307

StrictSalmon307 Well-Known Member

Professional student
    Another cool feature would be to add some sort of icon over enemies (or friends if you're fixing) so that you can choose who to auto-aim at. Would make targeting much easier!

The Otherguy and HAPPY SITHSHA like this.
  3. Snapshot

Snapshot Well-Known Member

Anything to stop the jumpiness of the current target reticle. I can't be the only one who finds it a huge hurdle to over rather than an "aid".

4. envylife

To add a correction... auto-aim doesn't just jump when the enemy disappears or dies, it also jumps when a closer enemy comes into play. In fact for Speeders out there it is a fair tactic to do a quick pass-through to destroy enemy focus on one of your teammates due to this aim jumping.

5. Snapshot

Snapshot Well-Known Member

This is exactly why I always use manual target lock. If I don't have a specific target then I'll lock on anyone over in the general direction I'm heading. That way my turret and camera don't suddenly swivel around to lord only knows where while I'm trying to drive around bullets, mortar rings, and mines. For me at least, the way the current target reticle bounces around is in the "You have got to be kidding me. This is April fool's, right?" category.

6. envylife

I decided to try out Sticky Targets again, and it helps avoid the extreme jumpiness of default auto-aim, but it's just a little too sticky for me.

To reiterate some of my ideas
    1. Timing of jumps should have some sort of floor in default mode, like 1 second, not the current sub-second. I was in a match today where there were 3 ships near each other, and it was jumping between all 3 them in fractions of a second... it was impossible to properly deal with that until it stopped.

2. Close range aiming is still an issue with or without sticky targets. In a match today I had an aim on one guy and I could not get it to jump to a closer enemy that was in front of him. The closer one was in range of my short range weapons and the farther enemy was not, so you can imagine how ineffective that is. I always want the closer range enemies, and particularly with sticky targets if it sticks to a medium range enemy it is really hard to get it focused on the closer range player, much harder than the side-to-side switching without initiating target lock and arrow, which takes a lot of time when someone is sitting right in front of you.

3. Similar to #2, I've seen the close-range target jump-off happen at medium range today a couple times.... farther than normal.

I really think that default Auto-aim should be somewhere between the default and Sticky Targets. If that's another preference, that would be great.

Clarsach and PallabKumarS like this.
  7. The Otherguy

The Otherguy Well-Known Member

Tech support
    Disabling the auto-lock when manually aiming torps would be nice too.

Spinners71 and Neptune_Gaming like this.
  8. Neptune_Gaming

Neptune_Gaming Well-Known Member

Yeah, sometimes I see the pulse of an enemy fixer in a narrow tunnel and want to fire it for some damage but the auto target has other plans

The Otherguy likes this.
  9. envylife

After thinking about this more I'd actually rather have Zoom removed entirely from this game. It's never been useful, and there are so many side effects, being next to walls, holding down aim too long, and it narrows the scope of your vision to become nothing but a hinderance. You guys could do a better job making walls and objects invisible rather than having a mysterious zoom come into play for no reason.

PallabKumarS likes this.
  10. envylife

Would like some input on these ideas.

11. SupremeCalamitas

SupremeCalamitas Well-Known Member

I don't think it's your business
    On speeder this is extremely annoying sometimes. -remembering times when fixer was bout to die but auto aim fucked it up

TheAntiSnipe likes this.
  12. NoTzHoNg

NoTzHoNg Active Member

Battle Bay Player
    They copy Fortnite's ADS.
    Mybe they should add a proper scope or a map on screen that shows where the bullet will travel or both

13. envylife

There's just no need for zoom in BB... the battles are too fast to sit back and carefully aim, we have auto-aim for that. It's much more beneficial to see wider range of field.

SeaFlapFlap likes this.
  14. SupremeCalamitas

SupremeCalamitas Well-Known Member

I don't think it's your business
    Zoom is a speeder's worst enemy.

At least you don't have to deal with a screwy camera.

TheAntiSnipe likes this.
  15. envylife

Devs, any progress on this? This is my biggest pet peeve in the game... and really, no reason that Zoom exists in this game.

16. xArrogance

xArrogance Well-Known Member

I use the zoom for torp aiming and some sniper/rail shots, so others might too...

The Otherguy likes this.
  17. envylife

Then an extra zoom button might be useful. Auto-zoom whenever you are next to a wall is pointless though.

18. xArrogance

xArrogance Well-Known Member

When the imaginary camera rams the wall and starts pointing in random directions? ... oh, yeah .. That's completely pointless.

envylife and PallabKumarS like this.
  19. envylife

Did I say I hate zoom? Devs, please explain why it is in the game.

20. FirnenAhead

FirnenAhead Well-Known Member

It increases the chance of critting :oops:

The Otherguy likes this.