1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Target Swapping Troubles

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Spinners71, 10 May 2018.

1. Spinners71

Spinners71 Well-Known Member

@Rovio I figured out what's frustrating me about targeting.

While I'm swiping and looking around (off the aiming joystick), I don't mind too much if it switches targets for me.

But once my thumb touches that fire button, I WANT TO STAY ON THAT TARGET! I feel like it behaves opposite to that logic though. It seems the instant my thumb touches the fire button, if there is any other possible targets nearby, it tries really hard to immediately switch to them.

As long as I'm touching the fire button, can it behave like a temporary target-lock? If I fire, let go, or drag to my cancel area, fine I'm okay with switching... But just not when I'm still trying to aim and fire my current shot.

2. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

I believe it already does, actually. The issue is when the target goes out of vision range. I'd like the locking system to stay right where the target disappeared and not to the next possible target, if I'm scoped in for a shot .

3. Spinners71

I don't think it does... Was aiming grenades and Carronades today with my target in full view, but another ship sailed past and stole my targeting. Needless to say I missed both...

4. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

That's odd... Have you tried target lock(manual)?

5. Spinners71

Yes, and that's exactly how I want the fire button to behave -- while I have it pushed -- so that I don't have to use the manual target lock at all.

Help I Cant Swim likes this.
  6. envylife

envylife Well-Known Member

YES!! I've raised this concern before... I can't believe it does this.
    If you are actively aiming, it should NEVER switch targets.
    If you are targeting someone at the edge of the range and they disappear, the targeting should gradually move but not INSTANTLY go away.. I've missed so many shots due to this.
    Get rid of zoom. I never want to zoom in... ever. It does nothing but decrease visibility.

https://forum.battlebay.net/threads...isable-zoom-and-tweak-auto-aim-behavior.18407

7. ViscountSniffit

ViscountSniffit Well-Known Member

I’ve often wondered about this. I’ve definitely had a situation where it feels like my target jumped while I was aiming. But it happens so fast, it’s hard to test. The target absolutely should be locked between press and release (if it isn’t already). But I think @TheAntiSnipe might be right that the problem is actually with the turret not being able to keep up, and momentarily loses the target.

I think his solution is good, the targeter (and the turret) should do everything it can to reaquire the target you were aiming at, and keep the sight as close as possible. Jumping to a new target at that point, is incredibly disorienting, and it can cost you quite a lot of valuable time, having to refocus everything and find your target again.

Last edited: 10 May 2018
    TheAntiSnipe and Babablacksheep like this.
  8. Babablacksheep

Babablacksheep Well-Known Member

The aiming sure could use some rework.As much as i hate sticky targets,i m forced to use it to prevent jumping of turret as OP mentioned.However i would like few more improvements in addition to auto aim itself

--->Manual scaling of sensitivity of the Aim:-

I will steal help i can't swim's idea about sensitivity to improve something i have thought long about.
    Using High projectile speed weapon like Railgun,snipe, swift torp,Tesla bolt and repair bolt require Extremely fine lead shots at long range.10/5 times(Mostly in case of rail gun) i over lead/underlead the shots even tho i have fairly precise fingers.

I would like to scale sensitivity of aim(or the movement of recticle) with respect to thumb movement to find a good sensitivity spot where leading shots at long range is not impossibly precise.

---->Improvement of sticky target :-

Keep the target lock button separate from target switch arrows.I can not remember how many times i have accidentally un-Sticked the target instead of switching it.

--->Scale "Zoom-in" or "Zoom out" percentage of manual aim:-

I often use manual aim for the reasons stated above to improve accuracy.However i would like to able to use manual aim with not so "Zoomed in"(Point damage weapons) or Zoomed out"(mortars type weapon)

Note that:- All this scaling options should be separately applicable to all weapons.Settings should not be generalized, they should be separate

Nikkie! likes this.
  9. LotharusMaximus

LotharusMaximus Well-Known Member

THIS all day long. I'm constantly frustrated with a VERY CLOSE target dropping off my sight and my turret trying to turn 180 degrees to target the next unfriend on the other side of the map. If I can see That unfriend, why did the one right in front of me disappear?

TheAntiSnipe likes this.