1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

This is why Sniper is Broken

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by ViscountSniffit, 4 May 2018.

1. Super Speeder 0

Super Speeder 0 Member

i am a speeder that uses sniper, man

2. Gnu

Gnu Well-Known Member

Games
    Crit damage Not op
    Projectile speed almost unpredictable

nuff said

Nikkie! and Rainbow Warrior like this.
  3. Jasper21

Jasper21 Active Member

Oh I’m not saying speeder shouldn’t use sniper. I scrapped them because I think EC suits my playstyle and I don’t see myself going back to using a sniper anymore :)

4. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

"Fight back", get it? You cannot fight back like you could against a RG, by coming in close. He himself admitted that this is the real problem with the weapon

Nikkie! and A55A51N like this.
  5. ViscountSniffit

ViscountSniffit Well-Known Member

Indeed, trying to fight against Sniper with EC, is like trying to take out a gunman with a house brick.

Yes, a brick will do loads of damage if it hits you in the face. But having a gun is just such an obvious advantage, it’s so easy to just point it, and shoot an assailant, before they can even get close enough to attack you.

If they do get close, it’s still a much faster weapon that you can shoot from the hip. Hurling a brick takes time, and it’s easy to miss.

And the idea that you can realistically dodge a bullet, like you’re Spiderman, is just as laughable. It doesn’t hurt to move unpredictably, and give yourself a few %, but that’s not a serious counter. And no one would argue that’s a fair matchup.

And countermeasures is kind of the issue here... If someone said to me “I’m tired of getting killed by EC, how do I counter it?”, then I’d say, keep your distance, stick with your team, and use Sniper, and other weapons, to outrange it.

But if someone asks “how do I stop getting killed by Sniper?”, then the only good answer is “don’t play”.

And before anyone says “use cover”, let me just say that ‘cowering behind a wall for half the game’, and ‘not playing’... kind of the same thing.

Last edited: 7 May 2018
  6. Jasper21

Jasper21 Active Member

I’m not gonna debate further here but I do have a suggestion for you :) I remember you once said you have an epic sniper (T2 or T3?). Why not you use it to replace your blast cannon in your next 50-100 games, record down your kill ratio, overall damage done and infamy changes within this period of time, to see how much improvement sniper brings to you. If sniper is indeed as OP as you claimed, we all can expect a significant improvement in your overall gameplay, because you can start damaging the unfriends earlier in the game and gain more map control to limit the movement of unfriends, as well as finishing off targets with low hp from across the map, saving you the time to OB/nitro yourself into shooting range of BC and you’re also less likely to miss a sniper shot than a BC shot.
    400 damage is about the base damage of a T4 rare or T3 epic sniper. According to this, without crit it’s still pretty damn awesome, you said it. With crit, you can have a really awesome sniper in these 50-100 games (if you’re willing to take up this challenge). Well I’m actually suggesting you a way to gain infamy by using an OP weapon, not really a challenge though.

If some sniper users are willing to take this challenge, you can do the opposite by leaving your sniper in your inventory for 50-100 games and check your performance when it’s done to see how much losing a sniper will impact your performance negatively.

Mr. Chompers likes this.
  7. TheAntiSnipe

Helloooooo

Sniper cannons are not good on speeders FYI!

Nikkie! and A55A51N like this.
  8. Jasper21

Jasper21 Active Member

Oh? Elaborate more on why it’s not good on speeder please :)

9. R4Z0R

R4Z0R Well-Known Member

wait tf isnt snipe bt a build tho? lel

Nikkie! likes this.
  10. TheAntiSnipe

The reason it works is that snipe is "insurance" to finish off targets your BT doesnt kill in one hit.

Nikkie! likes this.
  11. TheAntiSnipe

As I said to @R4ZOR, sniper cannons are bad when you are an assassin and not a floating artillery piece. The reason is obvious. Speeders and enfos are driven into constant close combat situations, something that shooters learn to AVOID, mate. It has absolutely nothing to do with snipes not being OP or whatever point youre trying to make.

When you are in constant "do-or-die" situations, and I emphasize constant, sniper cannons don't cut it. But if you end up in those situations only sometimes, it's absolutely okay to run one.

In fact, I've seen speeders run snipe+BT and snipe+ST and snipe+ExC. The reason is that snipes here are paired with extremely heavy guns so that if the heavy gun fails to do the job, snipe is merely insurance.

Nikkie! likes this.
  12. Babablacksheep

Babablacksheep Well-Known Member

unnamed (53).gif
    After miika's reply,any Thread on sniper CANONS

13. Shadow Moon!

Shadow Moon! Well-Known Member

I have seen Douchman sniper critical hit equals 2700+ in his latest video.
    I don't know what perks he used maybe 2 crit damage perks.

14. Jasper21

Jasper21 Active Member

And here, my friend, you have mentioned the biggest weakness of a sniper cannon, they “don’t cut it” at close range when you need consistent and reliable damage output. I can imagine if an anti-nerf sniper player tell this to you guys, an expected counter argument will be “Before you get close enough, you’re already hurt by sniper so it evens out”.

You said speeder and enfo are driven into constant close range combat situations and shooters have learnt to avoid them. Are you implying that speeder and enfo are mostly getting close to and fighting all type of ships except shooter? I can only LOL at this. And while we’re at it, you also mentioned earlier that buffing sniper’s long range capabilities and nerfing its short range capabilities. Since shooters are so good at avoiding close range combats, aren’t you trying to make sniper even more powerful on the hand of these shooters?

Viscount runs an ex cannon too. I don’t see why the OP sniper isn’t an upgrade to BC for him.

15. TheAntiSnipe

Because flare ex and raw damage ex are two different combos.

Also, speeders and enfos specialize at close range, making sniper as strong as it is at close range is wrong for a long range weapon.

Constant damage output at close range? Dude, shooters DON'T need that! At all! Because they get a non-constant but pretty sweet option for close range in just one weapon, which is what we feel is unfair about the sniper cannon.

And no, I imply that shooters are a sniper class while enfo is a brawler and speeder is an assassin class. Which means that shooters aren't *meant* to get in close. While enfos and speeders are.

Nikkie! likes this.
  16. ViscountSniffit

I’m actually working it, I have enough stuff to get my Epic Sniper to t4. If it doesn’t get nerfed in the next update, then I’m seriously going to look at switching.

However, it’s not as easy as it sounds. I’ll probably also need to change boat, as Speeder has an incredibly low turret, so it’s not the best platform for running Sniper. Incidentally, that whole thing about Blast being able to shoot over waves, with a Speeder’s low turret, it often can’t.

And I think I will also want to train up some very different weapons, like a Fire Bomb or LRM, if I’m planning to hang back more (which I haven’t even got one of yet). So it’s a long process.

But yeah, I’ve used my Sniper in custom matches, and I’m always blown away by how easy it is to just tap and damage ships, that I woundn’t even consider targeting with my Blast, so I’d be pretty confident about taking that challenge.

17. ViscountSniffit

In fairness it’s not that simple. Firstly, because Miika’s data doesn’t control for a lot of variables.

Secondly, because damage isn’t everything. It’s also about area control. Even in games where Snipers never hit you. They still exercise huge area control, and put severe limits on where you can move, and often stop you playing completely, because it would just be suicidal to advance.

Nikkie!, Mr. Chompers and A55A51N like this.
  18. Jasper21

Jasper21 Active Member

Changing ship will make the comparison inaccurate because the point is to see how well EC+SC does compared to EC+BC. Anyway, I wish you the best of luck in getting the parts/duplicate to upgrade the weapons that you’re planning to upgrade.

TheAntiSnipe and ViscountSniffit like this.
  19. Jasper21

Jasper21 Active Member

Speeder and enfo are meant for close range combats, and they do get close to and fight all types of ship, right? So when they get close to a shooter, isn’t this shooter in a close range combat now? Lol :rolleyes:

20. ViscountSniffit

I’ll give it a whirl on my Speeder, but my Sniper is only L14 at the moment, with one Epic Crit Perk. So it’s still a bit of a way off. Let’s see what the next update brings. I don’t wanna spend all my gold right now, if we’re about to get a new boat or something.

Nikkie! and Jasper21 like this.