1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

When a Draw should not be a Draw?

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Flint, 6 Apr 2018.

1. Flint

Flint Well-Known Member

Hi Everyone,

A strange title, but I will explain it. There are a few cases where a Draw is not the right outcome of a battle, I have three examples:

1. I have seen battles where there were 2 boats left. One was active and would have killed the other one. The other one was sailing arcoss the map, but it took too long to find the other. Because he/she was hiding in a cave, moving forward and backward to see if the other one was coming. But that was it.

Is it coward and should the team with the active member should have won?

2. I have also seen Speeders sailing across the map over and over and doing nothing as the last one standing. That is all they did 'go round and round', never firing a shot. Same idea, the name is Battle Bay and not Hide Away Bay.

3. and the last one if there are 2 players left on each side. One side has a mk1 or mk2 and on the other team a mk4 or mk5. Time is up, so it is a Draw. I think in this case the mk1 or mk2 should have be the winner, especially when he/she has the most amount of health left.

Okay it is not against the rules, but do you think it is right?

What are your thoughts?

Regards,
    Flint

Last edited: 6 Apr 2018
  2. kurdish bndo

kurdish bndo Active Member

First he hides for a reason,maybe
    Slow connection , laggy device .or he fells that he should hide
    (We have different brain)
    And if it was a speeder or enforcer or fixer vs a shooter or defender ,why will that speeder or enforcer or fixer risk a win they will just go and use their speed and OB to win ,even if they have less than 1k HP and that shooter has 7k HP

And for the second like you said in the first one the active member should win ,so that speeder will win

For the third you see that it is 2 weak ships vs 2 powerful ships
    But what i see due to the new matchmaking algorithm is a team has killed an mk5 and mk4 but their mk1 and mk2 was killed , and the other one killed that mk2 and mk1 but their mk5 and mk4 was killed leaving them with mk1 and mk2 , so which team actually did the most effort? The team with mk4 and mk5 ,right?

The Otherguy likes this.
  3. Kalbs

Kalbs Well-Known Member

So many wrong in this post.

Forcing a draw is not an issue.
    Forcing a draw is not wrong.
    Forcing a draw is not cowardly in any way.
    Forcing a draw is a smart tactic.

4. Snapshot

Snapshot Well-Known Member

Why isn't it "right"? That's a subjective value assertion on your part supported by nothing. Many games have a win/lose/draw answer in their rule set and the rules are entirely up to the game designer. In this case, the rule is about number of floating ships. What's the problem? If you don't want a draw, kill more ships than them.

Shadow Moon! and Kalbs like this.
  5. Hokuse

Hokuse Well-Known Member

Nope, draw is just fine. It is a tactic and there is no need to be mad because you don't lose the game either. There is no problem about draws.

ForgetIt and The Otherguy like this.
  6. Flint

Flint Well-Known Member

Thanks for your replies. I have made some mistakes in the text, it was meant as questions, so something as 'do you think it is coward or good practise'?

So, please read my first post. I don't think it is coward or bad practise, I was just wondering what your thought were in these cases. Hope it is clear now.

7. envylife

envylife Well-Known Member

I think forcing a draw is a smart move when you are at a disadvantage (e.g., you have 1 hit left and your opponent has 4).
    If you are at an advantage you should go for the win. If you go for the tie in this case I suppose you can be considered a coward.

Neptune_Gaming likes this.
  8. Flipscuba

Flipscuba Well-Known Member

I posted about this a while back. It's mainly the yellow boats (speeder/enforcer) that do this. I feel it is very cowardly. This isn't a fucking racing game, to see who's fastest, it's a competitive game, where you are supposed to destroy the other team or capture. I feel that, if there are only two boats left, any amount of capture above, say, 5-10 percent should count as victory. So if the coward speeder wants to run away from the Defender, the Defender can just go make a straight line to the capture point to win.

9. xxxBISMARCKxxx

xxxBISMARCKxxx Well-Known Member

Mostly agreed, but as a Defender player I am pretty sure this costs us a few % in infamy. So I'm not sure there's no issue with a draw mechanic that clearly favors some boats over others.

Flipscuba likes this.
  10. Jasper21

Jasper21 Active Member

What if there are two boats, a coward speeder (100 hp left) and a brave defender (8k hp left), with 30 seconds remaining, both are far away from the capture, and the speeder nitro/ob to capture 10% and win. Is this speeder a worthy winner in your opinion?

Draw is fine.

11. FirnenAhead

FirnenAhead Well-Known Member

Here's a tip for shooter and defender players that hate draws: in 2 v 2 or 2 v 1 don't camp, go brawl and tank some damage, then wait for your Enforcer/Speeder to do his/her job

_devill and Shadow Moon! like this.
  12. Visout

Visout New Member

I hate draws. The whole concept is against, what I feel is, the spirit of the game. It is a lazy scapegoat for the issue of both teams having the same number of players when the clock runs down.
    There are a number of ways to make this more exciting. Some examples:
    1) Match is a draw when the clock hits 0? Every remaining player gets a 200 dps burn. This benefits defenders who might have more health remaining or a good bandage, but that shifty speeder who was hiding for 2 minutes with 500 health left won't last long.
    2) The team with the most contribution points over all wins. However, would make the loss after fighting to a draw only because of a floater or suicide a harder pill to swallow.
    3) If the match ends in a 2v2, whichever team was the first to kill 3 players wins.
    4) The opposite of 3: Whichever team got the most recent kill wins. It's 3v1 and you even it out? Win.
    5) Whatever logic that determines which team gets +1 infanmy and which gets -1. Explain that clearly to the players and let it decide.

Whatever the mechanic is, if it is something agreed upon in the rules, then players will know when to push and fight to return to the winning side of the tug-o-war. Whereas, right now, players are only incentvised to sit back, hide, go first in the capture to try and lure them out... None of which is fun for either side.

13. Flint

Flint Well-Known Member

This was also a draw, you can debated which should have won, the one with the most HP or the one who stayed in the capture zone till the battle was over:

BTW I was in the capture zone

Draw.jpg

14. Shadow Moon!

Shadow Moon! Well-Known Member

Lol idiotic post and idiotic suggestions. Everything is fine if you hate draws don't play or just die before match ends or kill others. Every match has 3 possible results win, lose and A DRAW.
    And the rules applied are good enough more no of kills wins if you can't play tactical I suggest you stop playing now.

EDIT: MOD note: please do express your views in a friendly way - we don't have to hold the same views but swearing is not an accepted way of joining the discussion.
    -Grim

Last edited by a moderator: 18 Apr 2018
    ForgetIt likes this.
  15. Shadow Moon!

You post on public platform and expect only positive views? I found it idiotic. If you don't like it ignore. Is it necessary to reply to every comment?

ForgetIt likes this.
  16. Flint

Flint Well-Known Member

No, I don't expect only positive comments.

And btw you could ignore it also, but still you found it necassary to comment.So, you did exactly what you are telling me to do.

17. Shadow Moon!

That is because you told me to do exactly that thing for which you not the one to decide. The decision to comment on any forum post resides with me and me only.
    You asked in your op what are your thoughts. I expressed my thoughts, that I found suggestions given by you are idiotic that's it.

ForgetIt likes this.
  18. Flint

Flint Well-Known Member

You may of course give your opinion, but why call it idiotic? I just wanted peoples opinions and wondered what people thought. You could have said 'rules are fine, so why bother'. Would have sounded a lot better.

And I really don't get why people always say 'then stop playing'. Just because I ask for people thoughts or show a problem always people react 'stop playing', which is utter nonsense. What has that anything to do with it at all?

19. SAME DIFF3R3NC3

SAME DIFF3R3NC3 Well-Known Member

I don’t see a problem with draws. I actually don’t encounter them nearly as often now, since they changed the requirements. It used to be if you didn’t finish off the unfriends it was a draw, even if the game ended 3v1, THAT was frustrating! I really don’t see the big deal about a draw. It happens, move on.

ForgetIt and Shadow Moon! like this.
  20. - Oskar -

- Oskar - Well-Known Member

yes, yes Draw is very cool lol!
    Come on, you try a draw when the movement is smarter, because you clearly have no chance of winning the other boat because you have no life, no bendage ... or no chance of knocking it down, otherwise you should try to always fight and win, and the game should push to it. It is ridiculous to see people hiding an hour before or lose the first, as if they were really on the boat ... tie is an option, but it must be the last. It's good to be cautious but what's the use of playing the whole game like a coward so that they kill you at the end alone in your corner... that's very stupid and a lot of players do.