1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

I actually got oneshot by a sniper cannon.

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by achillesRising, 29 Mar 2018.

1. Disguised

Disguised Well-Known Member

Your problem can be solved by having a longer queue time, so the algorithm can find people of similar captain levels, making everyone in the match a similar ship mk.
    I got over 1000 in an mk3 on my my main account(long time ago; near the start of autumn), and with an mk3(and mk2) on my alt account(quite recently) without much effort.

PastelPiku likes this.
  2. ShipCrusherCz

ShipCrusherCz Well-Known Member

I think that my main problem is luck :) every time I combine yellow rare parts I get frost blaster (got one today, 5 or 6 overall but I don't want to use them), I keep getting things like epic ruders, rare perks for frost items, duplicates of items I don't want (3 rare triple torps, rare railguns and standard mortars), so I thing the matchmaking has the same problem for me, it seems like it depends on luck (whether you get matched against same, higher or lower mk ships) I usually get matched against guys with weapons dealing double my dmg in one shot:(

3. Disguised

Disguised Well-Known Member

Give me your luck, bro. I really want trip torps, railguns, and rudders instead of sniper/blast cannons, swift torps, tesla bolts, and carronades. I play speeder, but still.

TheAntiSnipe likes this.
  4. YerJokinArnYer

YerJokinArnYer MVP

Lil_Torta likes this.
  5. Shadow Moon!

Shadow Moon! Well-Known Member

It is 9k battles is less than the players who play since global launch.( a ace 1 player or a nightmare player)
    Less battles less experience of game doesn't matter who you are.
    You don't actually play the game you don't have knowledge about it, data is just theoretical not practical it doesn't mean anything in actual situation.

Last edited: 30 Mar 2018
    What's Up Player likes this.
  6. SupremeCalamitas

SupremeCalamitas Well-Known Member

I don't think it's your business
    N
    LOL whiney players getting rekt by the devs is hilarious

7. Shadow Moon!

And people used to get to nightmare league using mk4 before global launch. It was that easy, all those devs who have made to nightmare league wouldn't have a chance to make to even ace 1 in current situation I have seen them playing and they are mediocre at best.

8. achillesRising

achillesRising Member

Op here.

Jesus this post blew up. When I made it, I wasn't exactly suspecting over 50 comments...
    And I made this post mostly to harp on the godawful matchmaking, not whether or not the sniper cannon is overpowered, though I see the community is rather split on this issue.
    And yes, for all those who ask, I also get oneshot by torpedoes and railguns, all the time. However, I don't really complain, because I can see that it's ultimately my fault to get hit by a torp or railgun. With the sniper cannon, however, it's a different story. The whole point of the sniper cannon is that it's almost guaranteed damage, and you can't miss if you have any brains. I can deal with getting killed by a big torp because it's a low-consistency, high-damage weapon, exactly the way it should function. However, getting oneshot by literally the most reliable weapon in the game? THERE WAS LITERALLY NOTHING I COULD HAVE DONE THAT WOULD HAVE SAVED ME. A fixer can't really dodge a sniper round.

That being said, I use a sniper on my ship as well, as you have seen. It does ~375 damage on crit. That isn't exactly overpowered when my opponents all have more than 1.5k health and most have 3 or 4k.

If you want to know my opinion on the sniper cannon, I think it's ultimately a bad idea to combine the "reliable and accurate" weapon trope with the "chance to crit for massive damage" weapon trope. It's perfectly fine to have long-range, snipey, high-accuracy weapons. However, when you give them RNG god-rounds that choose to randomly eviscerate a target sometimes, you're bound to get some mad folks in the game.

My solution: I know it's an unpopular one, but I never enjoyed the whole RNG concept in Battle Bay. I think the game would be pretty much better off if we removed all RNG from the actual combat system. That's right. Just remove damage variation, weapon crits, critical heals, fire grenades, etc. Why? It ultimately lowers the skillcap and makes the game less fun when you're on the short end of the RNG stick. And you're at the short end 50% of the time.

Sorry for the long post. Hope it clears up some confusion.

9. PastelPiku

PastelPiku Well-Known Member

Security
    With the addition of gear score, that would work far better than ship mk, otherwise you could stick to mk1 and work your way up to legendaries and demolish noobs.

Disguised likes this.
  10. Snapshot

Snapshot Well-Known Member

And I tend to agree with Zeus' assessment (thanks for that link btw)

I would agree that the problem is in damage scaling and I suspect it probably goes beyond just sniper. Sniper, because of it's massive crit component highlights the issue but I think damage, in general, is just too high. I think that's why they have problems balancing things like frost and sniper. It's also why turbo and big shield are so prominent. Personally i'd prefer to slow down the damage flow of combat a bit so people could actually afford to get hit. Then things like frost (which makes it easier to hit you) wouldn't be so OP and the damage scaling on sniper would be more moderate.

PastelPiku likes this.
  11. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

I see only two of you read my post and actually know that much about the sniper cannon? The FIXER was assassinated by the enemy speeder as he rushed capture, from behind a rock. Guys, no sniper cannon weilded by a shooter could have done this job. Come on.

PastelPiku likes this.
  12. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

Also, I think sniper cannon needs a reboot. Maybe remove it, and add a twoslot "Ibis" that has 200% of it's damage with no crit chance. And maybe add a new crewmember to help with more sniper type weapons in the future?

PastelPiku likes this.
  13. PastelPiku

Security
    In a game themed after naval combat, it makes no sense that any sniper weapon exists besides the railgun. Realistically, there is no cannon that fires this way besides the railgun. The sniper's description even basically says that it's a railgun. They should just remove the sniper and make the railgun fire with the same arc as the sniper, but without the crit mechanics.

TheAntiSnipe likes this.
  14. Cozytrendsetter

Cozytrendsetter Member

I have said it before and will say it again it is only weapon to deal with speeders effectively at any range.This is why i use it on my enforcer in place of blast even though everyone recommends it.Ofcourse speeders will want this weapon gone and make these ridiculous claims it is op.This is what the developer zeus has to say on reddit
    "We are pretty happy with item balance currently. Sniper is always used as an example of "OP", however our data suggests otherwise. It's a strong item for sure, but i think the problem stems from the crit component which creates bad feelings for both the one getting shot and the one shooting. If you do crit, it feels great, but if you don't it feels bad. Same for the receiver, but reversed."

15. StrictSalmon307

StrictSalmon307 Well-Known Member

Professional student
    I think that what makes sniper OP is it's usability at any range without any risks whatsoever along with the ability to do the same average damage as a blast or ex cannon (without risks of course) at lower to mid levels. Just my opinion :p Maybe it's range should be nerfed. Or it should have a longer cool down. The projectile speed shouldn't be nerfed though, because it's one of the only weapons that can hit a speeder reliably.

PastelPiku likes this.
  16. PastelPiku

Security
    Not true, I decimate speeders with my standard cannon and blast cannon on my shooter.

StrictSalmon307 likes this.
  17. Cozytrendsetter

Cozytrendsetter Member

You cannot beyond a certain range.Most speeders run bandage.So its imperative to finish them before they recover fully.

18. Shadow Moon!

What infamy range do you play?

19. Shadow Moon!

Most of the speeders have mid to close range weapons meaning they need to come atleast 10 to 15 paces near you or even closer. I die to carronades or explosive cannons most of the times than sniper. But sniper is ridiculously easy weapon to use you don't need to aim with it just point and shoot , done.

PastelPiku and StrictSalmon307 like this.
  20. Cozytrendsetter

Cozytrendsetter Member

2000-2300 range.Generally speeders run after inflicting damage and also taking in return letting themselves to be healed