1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

I actually got oneshot by a sniper cannon.

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by achillesRising, 29 Mar 2018.

1. Disguised

Disguised Well-Known Member

Remove the two extra crit damage talents. There is no need for the cannon with the highest crit chance to get extra crit damage talents specially designed for it. Isn't it enough for it crit the most of the cannons?
    If this happens, nobody will complain about a random 1000 crti damage coming from the middle of nowhere, because it won't be able to do that much damage.

ThatOnion and PastelPiku like this.
  2. Earel

Earel Active Member

any weapon t4 rare kill u in a 10 sec, 1 shot or 2 ... not even sniper....
    u also die from = big torp ; if u burned from any type of cannon ; carro ; mine ; railgun ;
    Moreover if u play a fixer prepare to pain... all life for fixer - support = pain , burn , smash , pain.

3. Kalbs

Kalbs Well-Known Member

Is this a serious question?

Well I can think of two reasons.

1. They also play the game and most of them in Nightmare League.

2. They created the freaking game.

4. Shadow Moon!

Shadow Moon! Well-Known Member

Lol look at their matches played. And do you expect them to know every dynamic of the game? If that was so there wouldn't be any bugs in game.
    Devs are humans like you and me. They do mistakes too. Every creation has faults that suggests the makers don't have full knowledge.

Last edited: 31 Mar 2018
    PastelPiku likes this.
  5. Admiral DJ

Admiral DJ Well-Known Member

Your just up too high with too low level a ship. That’s all :)

Kalbs likes this.
  6. Snapshot

Snapshot Well-Known Member

I agree. And I also agree that to some extent, the problem is the sniper cannon. But the much, much larger part of the problem in this case is the utterly mismatched teams. Before I started balancing weapons based on stories like this I'd want to balance the teams. If that sniper cannon had been at a similar gearscore to the original poster then how overpowered would it have been?

PastelPiku likes this.
  7. ViscountSniffit

ViscountSniffit Well-Known Member

I’m guessing my gear score is more than double what the sniper’s is, but it would still be half my hit-points if I were running a banadage setup. That’s quite a big chunk of hp for any ship.

I haven’t seen much evidence that the Devs are especially competant at balance. Since I’ve been here Carronade and Tri-Torps have consistently been underused. Enoforcers were so rare, I used to have to reroll the “sink an Enforcer” quests. Shooters outnumber all the other ships put together. They made a complete mess of balancing frost (twice), and don’t even get my started on the train wreck that is blue items.

So the idea that ‘if something isn’t balanced the Devs would have fixed it’ is a complete joke (and also demonstrably wrong... see 100% Turbo usage).

Last edited: 30 Mar 2018
    What's Up Player and PastelPiku like this.
  8. The Otherguy

The Otherguy Well-Known Member

Tech support
    They have played hundreds of games on other accounts. They have accounts at almost every level that they play on too.

PastelPiku likes this.
  9. Snapshot

Remember that my entire Battle Bay experience has been playing in 1-3 shot territory. So perhaps to me the imbalance doesn't look as bad as it does to you. Right now I'm clocking in at 3600hp. A sniper crti is going to be ~1200 or so. So that's 1/3 of my HP for a "big hit". That seems about the same as other "big hits"... railgun, ex cannon if I'm burning, etc.

Again, I do think that sniper is "nicer" than other weapons. Whether it reaches the level of OP is something that Rovio really needs to look at. In my mind I remember that people, myself included, complained about fixer balance and ?Miika? did one of his awesome posts pointing out that the complainer's actual win/lose rate was slightly better on a team where he had no fixer and the opposing team did. Many people, myself included, have commented about napalm yet someone who actually uses it points out that in his achievement progress it's doing quite nicely.

So what I'd want to see if I was Rovio was some sort of assessment of average damage per match per loaded weapon. Then I could see if snipers were really outperforming other weapons and if so, by what margin.

Where's our bat signal? We need Miika!

PastelPiku and The Otherguy like this.
  10. ViscountSniffit

ViscountSniffit Well-Known Member

I would like to see that too. In fact, I have asked for it before.

Though, I would argue that Sniper should actually underperform against shorter range weapons, given the inherent risks involved in getting ‘closer’. Bigger risks should equate to bigger rewards.

PastelPiku likes this.
  11. Admiral DJ

Admiral DJ Well-Known Member

Railgun

ViscountSniffit likes this.
  12. Snapshot

I agree with closeness should equate to damage. I often think that in my flare/blast setup I'm forced to engage the enemy much more closely than my team mates who are all lobbing mortars and spraying torps from safety. In the end, I don't mind because it suits my natural inclinations. But yeah, I do think I ought to be getting more of a damage bump for having to be up close & personal.

ViscountSniffit likes this.
  13. SupremeCalamitas

SupremeCalamitas Well-Known Member

I don't think it's your business
    Sniper cannon is sniper cannon. Stop complaining dang it, it was a freaking hit. He got lucky with his shot. It doesn't mean you can instantly WHINE on the forums. I have MK2 epics at warrior 2 and so do others, and I don't complain at all! DEAL WITH IT

Kalbs likes this.
  14. Snapshot

One of the things I love about Battle Bay is something ?Harpo? pointed out a few days ago.... we have a great community here. So sure, someone started out with a "nerf snipers" post. But if you look at the ensuing conversation it's a fairly balanced assessment of the pro's and con's of the weapon concluding most recently in a call for additional data from Rovio.

Not all discussion about the game is "whining". Not every possible improvement is a "complaint". On these boards quite frequently we actually have balance discussions where many viewpoints come together looking for a best answer not "let's nerf my pet-hate".

15. Kalbs

Kalbs Well-Known Member

They have at least 9k battles on some accounts from older devs.

Most are in Nightmare League.

They have tons of data that we as a community don't have.

So let me ask again, is this a serious question?

16. Snapshot

For me it's a serious question. I don't know about you but I've seen LOTS and LOTS of games where, in certain aspects, the player base knew more than the developers. Obviously, the things you point out matter. But the player base, by definition, is drawing from a huge pool of player experience and the devs simply have no way to match that. This is exactly why game devs have discussion boards.

It is ever so easy to write some piece of code and in your head you have this perfect vision of how it ought to work only to find out in the real world it doesn't work that way (metro interface anyone?).

Shadow Moon! likes this.
  17. Da Carronade King

Da Carronade King Well-Known Member

Seducer
    Uh all I know is taht I hold all the weapons and have no skill and tactics. U on the other hand have skill, thats how ur mk2 got so high especially in this mk5 climate. But u cant't win all ur matches.

18. Snapshot

Dura's not that much different than you or I. He's in the pack of "serious players" and probably top 20th percentile or better. He's just experiencing a normal part of Battle Bay and it has to do with how the infamy system works. He'll bump up against 2k-ish type limits just as I and you did once the infamy & matchmaking becomes sane for him.

I'm pretty sure that this is the standard new player experience for every new player who is not casual.

Da Carronade King likes this.
  19. ShipCrusherCz

ShipCrusherCz Well-Known Member

maybe sniper is OP, but matchmaking is bad
    I can't even get over 1000 infamy with my mk3 with good equipment (good enough to fight against mk4 ships) because when I reach 850+ infamy I start meeting mk5 and mk6 (!) ships, and closer I am to 1000 infamy worse it gets, do you think that this is ok? they just 2-shot me with their tier 3 epic or tier 4 rare weapons and the worst I ever met is mk6 shooter loaded with tier 3 epic mortars who is spamming his big berthas and ballparks so I die before I can get cover
    Screenshot_20180324-121129.png
    Screenshot_20180326-192544.png
    Screenshot_20180326-160735.png

Last edited: 30 Mar 2018
  20. Da Carronade King

Da Carronade King Well-Known Member

Seducer
    Lol for casual players who have more skill its the same. Its funny cause I feel that I am losing skill all the time as I am getting complacent cause I just have strong weapons.

PastelPiku likes this.