1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Can you guys use gear score in matchmaking? That'd be great.

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by achillesRising, 26 Mar 2018.

1. achillesRising

achillesRising Member

Asking because I'm a mark 2 fixer at 1200 infamy.

Here are the gear scores from the last game I played (just now):

Friends
    1725 (me)
    total: 16288
    Avg: 3257.6

Unfriends
    Total: 19082
    Avg: 3816.4

Now, if Gear Score means anything (which I trust it does), the data makes two things apparent.
    1: My ship does not belong at 1200 infamy, and it is your responsibility to put it where it belongs, and
    2: The teams tend to be grossly unbalanced at this infamy, and it is your responsibility to do a better job. And yes, we did lose that fight. Very badly (1-5).

Now, if you were to simply incorporate gear score in the matchmaking system, it would probably go a long way toward solving both of these problems.

Maybe I am just expecting too much out of a matchmaking system in a mobile game, but this is a problem where the solution seems pretty clear and easy to implement.

2. Da Carronade King

Da Carronade King Well-Known Member

Seducer
    Gear score is meaning less, I have a gear score of 4000 on my speeder yet I can combat people with 1.5 times that much.

StrictSalmon307 likes this.
  3. achillesRising

achillesRising Member

Well, you are a speeder, so yeah, I suppose you would be good at securing kills in a 1v1 situation.
    Also, if gear score is meaningless, then why did they add it to the game? Rovio aren't stupid.

4. Da Carronade King

Seducer
    Just a way to compare. If u want a higher gear score than friends, then they want u to spend.

StrictSalmon307 likes this.
  5. Kalbs

Kalbs Well-Known Member

No.

YerJokinArnYer likes this.
  6. Snapshot

Snapshot Well-Known Member

I wouldn't call it "meaningless". It very definitely does have meaning. The fact that you are able to combat people with half again your gearscore (as can I), is simply a matter of us being in the upper percentiles in terms of players. I agree with OP.
    • In lower infamies, the infamy ranks and therefore matchmaking are an utter disaster. It is Rovio's job to fix this.
    • In lower infamies, the matchmaking is a total disaster. It is Rovio's job to fix this.
    I am routinely stunned at how different things are now that I'm above 1500. EVERY... SINGLE... MATCH is reasonably well balanced and there are very few floaters/tankers. It's like Battle Bay just started and before that was some surreal acid-driven vision of a combat game.

That being said, I don't think matchmaking on gearscore is wise. Rather, I think they should fix infamy tanking and the hundreds of incentives which drive it and then let their current matching system do it's job.

Ian likes this.
  7. HeroicBubbles

HeroicBubbles Active Member

MK1 and MK2 complaints fall on deaf ears to me. You spend so little time at those levels in this game they really shouldn't be factored in matchmaking. If anything perhaps devs should accelerate new player ability to get to MK3 with equivalent training because new players aren't aware of the how slow progression is in this game so they immediately complain after a week of playing in an MK2. Frankly progression is just too slow all around for most gamers and probably limits the popularity of this game.

8. envylife

envylife Well-Known Member

Using gear score in matchmaking conflicts with infamy. It's one or the other... and considering gear score has no reflection of skill, it should be the odd number out.

#CK, StrictSalmon307 and Ian like this.
  9. StrictSalmon307

StrictSalmon307 Well-Known Member

Professional student
    I think firebomb usually does the most damage because it is the easiest to use :D

10. EyeOfDoom

EyeOfDoom Well-Known Member

Tell that to badge points.

11. Da Carronade King

Seducer
    I dont know about u but my gera scores plummeting, its already at 3.5k, as I try and get a better build.

12. Snapshot

Snapshot Well-Known Member

And yet... it still measures in very rough terms the overall capability of your gear, no?

Also in rough terms, it gives us players a way to see where we're at compared to our peers. So yeah, I beat people all the time with substantially higher gear scores. That's exactly why I'm a top 5th percentile player. The average players experience will be different. And even then, gear score matters to me too. I'm fairly confident that if I had fully perked T4 epics instead of rares with a grab bag of perks in them then my infamy would reflect that to at least some degree.

Saying "gear doesn't matter" is just as nuts as saying "skill doesn't matter". They both matter.

Da Carronade King likes this.
  13. d_p air

d_p air Member

One doesn't exclude the other. Matchmaking algorithm is not that simple, both can be considered in it.

14. envylife

envylife Well-Known Member

If infamy is to be accurate Matchmaking should be simple. Its complexity is largely the reason for the many matchmaking complaints.

YerJokinArnYer likes this.
  15. YerJokinArnYer

YerJokinArnYer MVP

Nailed it.
    Buff badge points.

16. Rainbow Warrior

Rainbow Warrior Well-Known Member

Does gear score take crew members training in account? Even if it does, I don't think it'd be a good idea :D If it doesn't, that'd be a terrible idea ;)

17. Swampcruiser

Swampcruiser New Member

I don't know what goes into the matchmaking formula but I think gear score should count more (perhaps captain training too). My primary ship is an enforcer but I want to give fixing a shot. My fixer gear is all terribly ineffective at my current infamy level. Weighing gear score a little higher in matchmaking would mean that I could actually compete at a reasonable level but still be challenged. I shouldn't be punished with infamy tanking for wanting to try new ships. That sort of desire to play more of the game than a single ship should be seen as a positive thing. Also, if infamy meant less to the matchmaking, what benefit would players gain from infamy tanking?

18. ViscountSniffit

ViscountSniffit Well-Known Member

Gear score is taken into account for battle rewards (I believe). So while you might get matched against someone with better gear, you’ll also get higher rewards for beating them. (Although, I think you also get higher rewards if they are on your team... go figure)

The problem with gear score is it doesn’t reflect how good you gear actually is. For example: Epic Sniper is worth the same as Epic Gearlube. So it’s really just a rough measurement of how much sugar you’ve dumped into your boat, not how good your boat actually is.

19. d_p air

d_p air Member

Matchmaking algorithm that is used in BattleBay is based on Glicko-2 (highly modified though). Here are some details about this algorithm: http://www.glicko.net/glicko/glicko2.pdf
    As it can be seen even in its initial condition the algorithm is not as simple. By the way CS GO matchmaking is also based on Glicko-2 system.

20. achillesRising

achillesRising Member

I'm going as fast as I can, buddy. I just hit level thirteen, which means I have three more whole levels to go until I can level up my ship. and them? all I get is another red slot point. I have 500 games played and i've been a fixer from the start it this ridiculous infamy inflation isn't helping my progression at all. And if anything, it isn't just a "mk 2 complaint". I'm sure the unlucky mk5's who end up on my team aren't happy when I get LITERALLY ONESHOT BY A SNIPER CANNON and they go on to lose the game.