1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Infamy and Ship Level

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by YerJokinArnYer, 21 Mar 2018.

1. YerJokinArnYer

YerJokinArnYer MVP

Here’s today’s head scratcher from me. It’s a bit more debatable than yesterday’s, but still equally geeky.
    Imagine 2 players with 3000 infamy, one is in a mk5 ship, and one is in a Mk6 ship. Are they equally as effective in battle? Would you not be bothered which was on your team and which on the opposition?

In a perfect world, you would imagine that the Mk5 captain is more skilled that the Mk6 captain, and that better skill is offsetting they mk6’s better ship. And I think under the old matchmaking system that would have been the case.

However, under the current matchmaking system, the Mk6 ship will fight mostly Mk6 ships, and the Mk5 will fight mostly Mk5’s. (I know that this is not always true in the short term, but in the long term I believe it is). So that players are not fighting a random selection of ships of a similar infamy, they’re fighting a random selection of ships who are of similar infamy AND generally the same ship level.

It is like in American Football, where teams are in different division. The American Football teams play more games against teams in their division (which is equivalent to ship level in my analogy), and less against teams in another division. You cannot therefore directly say that American football teams in different divisions who have a 7&3 record are equally as good as it depends upon the relative strength of those divisions. Therefore, I’m saying that you can’t say that two ships of different levels but the same infamy are equal in effectiveness.

By creating matchmaking that looks at ship level and infamy level, my hypothesis is that devs have created a system where you cannot say that infamy is a true measure of effectiveness of ships of different levels.

On the whole (I know there will be exceptions) we would assume that a Mk6 ship of 3000 infamy would be more effective than a Mk5 ship of 3000 infamy due to their extra slot and higher HP.

Therefore, this helps to explain why players suffer an infamy dip when upgrading their ship, it’s like suddenly transferring to a different NFL division which is tougher than the one you were in.

Part 2 of my hypothesis, imagine that the NFL switched to a one league system where everyone played each other once per season. (I know it would be a long season, but go with me on this). At the end of the season, you would say that a two teams (who were previously in different divisions) who have the same record would be equally as effective/good. A team that was in a tough division, would be able to get an accurate comparison of how good they are against teams previously in a weaker divisions.

In that sense, if devs reverted back to a matchmaking system that ignored ship level, all players would get a more accurate measure of infamy. It would help fix the issue where genuine players in high level ships are at low infamy, which would be better for all players. There would be some turbulence while it all sorted itself out, but would then reduce the complaints about uneven teams in matchmaking.

To go back to where I started, in a match where everyone was of equally infamy, if you’re honest you’d all rather be on the team of Mk6 if it was playing against a team of Mk5s. However, if we changed the matchmaking system to pure infamy and that match took place after the turbulence was over, both teams should be evenly matched.

Last edited: 21 Mar 2018
  2. Spinners71

Spinners71 Well-Known Member

Nailed it.

3. Babablacksheep

Babablacksheep Well-Known Member

Great post 100% with you!

However i will disagree only on one thing(Its something you can totally ignore, not related to post much) .. At my current infamy i get small amounts of mk5s and mostly mk6.. So, Frankly speaking i would be more happy to get mk5 who is tad better skilled than mk6

But i disagree only on this point, speaking of otherwise as spinners said you nailed it

Anyways here are screen shot to my explanations
    Crossed out names, all good weapon, high mks but no skills. Countless examples of this (however mk6 with above 3.5K never fail to disappoint).

It also proves how lower mk ships like mine (mk6 soon) would gain infamy if i upgrade to mk6 without suffering a drop with my mediocre skill, via the solution you suggested. Full support
    Screenshot_20180321-053805.jpg Screenshot_20180320-072119.jpg Screenshot_20180321-113853.jpg

PastelPiku and Da Carronade King like this.
  4. ryanllts

ryanllts Active Member

i mean, leave this topic alone, i struggle around 1000-1300, almost every game i see at least 2 mk6 ships, sometimes 6 mk6 ships, some of them loaded with max rare gears, some with lv40 epics, and i seen max epics sometime. i m talking about infamy 1000-1300, if i m not complaining, u should zip your mouth.

SupremeCalamitas likes this.
  5. Rainbow Warrior

Rainbow Warrior Well-Known Member

At 3000 infamy points I agree with you, but until 1000, the new matchmaking system is way better :D almost every mk5 can delivery 700 damage with one shot and that's the HP most mk1 have. Before the update a brand new mk1 player would face lots of mk5 at 200 infamy points ;)

TTrain likes this.
  6. Ian

Ian Well-Known Member

Student
    Pretty sure the opposite is happening now. There are much more mk5s at low infamy now than there were before.

What's Up Player and PastelPiku like this.
  7. Snapshot

Snapshot Well-Known Member

I generally felt things were somewhat better in the below 1200 range after the update. What made them A LOT better was getting into a decent M4 with R30-ish gear. Matchmaking above 1500 is so much more sane.

Rainbow Warrior likes this.
  8. Rainbow Warrior

If that's happening, I suppose they are not facing new players as soon as they used to be before the update.
    I made a mini account to fleet with my soon (he came back to BB but his infamy is so low that I can't fleet with him on my main account anymore), I'm about 600 infamy points with mk2 shooter and I don't remember to see any mk5 until now and just few mk4. Way better than some time after we first started to play :D
    I guess the best solution would be to let the matchmaking as it is today until mk4 or 1000 infamy points (or something like that) and use the pure infamy matchmaking for those above that.
    I'm sure the devs will find the best solution, the game is a lot better today than when I started :D

Ian likes this.
  9. YerJokinArnYer

YerJokinArnYer MVP

My theory is that if matchmaking reverted back to the old system, those mk5s (if they were genuine players and not seal clubbers) would rise in infamy and get out of those low infamy ranges.
    Any mk5s that didn’t rise up from the 200 infamy range would either be inept or seal clubbers. It would be very easy for devs to tell the difference from the gameplay.

10. YerJokinArnYer

YerJokinArnYer MVP

I can’t speak for what it’s like now down at the very low levels. But when I started (on the old matchmaking model) I can’t remember there being such a problem with high mark ships at low levels. Maybe it is looking back with rose tinted glasses, but I just don’t remember it being a problem.

11. YerJokinArnYer

YerJokinArnYer MVP

That’s the impression I get too. My theory is that whilst they are facing some low mark ships, the majority of their matches are against mk5, or they are being balanced by having another mk5 on the opposition. This is keeping their infamy low, and preventing them from progressing. They are more effective that lower mark ships of the same infamy (if they were equally as effective, people wouldn’t be complaining about them being down there), but matchmaking just won’t let them rise.

It would be good to hear from a high mark ship who is at low infamy to see if they agree with my theory.

Ian likes this.
  12. Snapshot

I consider the land below about 1500 as "the land of flotsam and jetsom". Floaters and tankers are commonplace... I'd guess averaging more than one a match. You find level 30 captains mixed in with level 12 ones. Each match is like something out of an Escher sketch. I personally found it hard to take seriously from any sort of competetive standpoint so I just ground my way through it. The chart Miika posted gave me some hope that things would clear up at 1500 and sure enough, they did. Honestly, above 1500 seems like an infamy and matchmaking system working more or less as designed with some tweaks needed. Below 1500 seems like an epic fail and the worst of all possible ways to welcome a new player to the game.

I personally blame the reward structure of the game. If you put epic drops on newbie content then the high levels will farm that noob content. The developers encourage competitive play but they reward seal clubbing. In the real world, the reward will win every time.

13. Snapshot

What you are describing matches what I've seen in the 1500+ range. I'm in a newly minted M5 fighting a bunch of other M5's and the smattering of M6's. Who knows if that's an appropriate place for M5/6 boats to cluster but it seems pretty low on the overall scale of infamy.

Below 1500 it doesn't work that way at all. For various reasons I "managed my own infamy". At times when I wanted to fleet with my [much lower level] son I'd drop it all the way down to 400 or so (in a R20-ish M4 boat). It was incredibly hard to get it down that low and it took constant diligence to keep it within fleeting range of him. Winning was like falling off of logs. Sure, I'd run into other tankers also. But half of them were on their way down so they weren't contributing to their team at all. The other half I had to actually fight... and I'd often lose. But whatever the case, the problem was always excess winning not excess losing.

*** edited to add ***
    To be fair, per Miika's charts, I'm a top 20th percentile player so I would need to work harder than most to be at a very low infamy. But I'm still pretty familiar with the texture of combat and there is no reason whatsoever for a level 30 captain to be at 400 infamy. Being that TerriBad seems like a stretch.

14. envylife

envylife Well-Known Member

This problem is what spawned the current matchmaking-by-ship level problem... which resulted in infamy drops on ship upgrades, because infamy is no longer a universal number. I feel very strongly that progression in this game is a problem, and this is a cause of it. We all would like to see extra efforts result in continued infamy rise but that's just not how the game is working at this point.

My suggestions:
    • Matchmaking should stop manipulating the matchups, other than balancing ship type. If an MK6 kills an MK2 in a battle in 2 shots, the MK6 will move up and the MK2 will move down so that they will no longer meet. A really simple solution to fix the root cause of the original issue is to level all boats at once.
    • Squashing the seal clubber incentive system
    This will result in infamy returning to truly mean a universal number, which is necessary because it is how the game treats it for leagues, guilds, etc, and so forth, and the progression system would actually work properly. I'm personally very frustrated with this progression system, going for weeks or months of stagnation.

15. Snapshot

I agree on both counts. Because the incentives drive so much corruption I'd fix that first. Then I'd look to see if there were still problems and think about addressing those. Ideally, as you say, they would get rid of all the arbitrary stuff like the seal clubbing rule and the boat mark balancing. But for that to work, infamy needs to properly function as a measure of skill.

YerJokinArnYer likes this.
  16. Rainbow Warrior

That's not what was happening. The mk6 was destroying the new mk1 player in a battle with one shot, then the same mk6 was destroyed the next battle, by the third battle he'd destroy another mk1. Above 1000 infamy points I'd prefer a pure infamy matchmaking system, under that value our current matchmaking is way better

17. Da Carronade King

Da Carronade King Well-Known Member

Seducer
    For all I know ship level doesnt always help. If gear levels wer around before, I would have been a 2500 gera score mk4 at 1700, 3 months later, I have topped 5000 and still at the same infamy. The lower levels have got really messy over the past, I got my highest infamy of 2000 with a mk4 fixer after playing 50 matches compared to 2500 with speeder. It would say stay at lower mk for easier matchmaking.

However what was said is true, I would rather have the mk6 on my side compared to a mk5 at the same infamy. Most of the time the mk6 can endure more with high hp so I would choose them.

18. YerJokinArnYer

YerJokinArnYer MVP

The point that you make is a completely valid one.
    There will always be those players who break the model and perform way in advance of what we would expect someone would be capable of given their gear. How else could we explain Bittersteel, Gnu. Etc (I apologise now, I’m sure that there are several other famous players who significantly exceed the expected abilities of their ship, and there will be numerous others that are doing it that we don’t know of yet. I just can’t recall names at the moment)

Da Carronade King likes this.
  19. Babablacksheep

Babablacksheep Well-Known Member

Seal clubbing penalty... After wait more than a year i get mk6 hoping to reach NM, 3.8K at least.. But dropped infamy instead.:(

I have invested lot of time in this game, the only reason i don't want to scrap my inventory..

Attached Files:

20. Da Carronade King

Da Carronade King Well-Known Member

Seducer
    Never goes the wya u hope in the end, personally I am hoping to go down, so that i would actually go up

Rainbow Warrior likes this.